collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about italian sea pony shells + price check  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
Question about italian sea pony shells + price check
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
Hi guys

I stumbled upon an adult sea pony shell at the flea market (no pony in sight) and I was wondering if there are differences. I'm pretty sure it's the pink one that goes with the italian Maristella (as we didn't get non-italian sea ponies here, or at least I have never ever seen one)

Is it exactly the same as the pink US/regular release? Or is it a different shade?

Also does anyone have an idea as to a price?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
[/URL]
Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Question about italian sea pony shells + price check
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:59:01 AM »
I am not sure on a price or if the shell was a different colour to the regular sea pony shells.

It does look like Maristella shell from looking at the nirvana gallery pictures though :)

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=20867

There was a great sea pony website, sea pony utopia, but it seems to be no longer working :(

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Aquarel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 06:18:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply PKW :)
Maybe someone else can answer my question. There are a lot of Nirvana guru's out there

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
Could not say for sure either way, but checked the Sea Pony Utopia archive and it says the UK and US ones are the same, but doesn't compare the Italian ones.

https://web.archive.org/web/20091028070017/http://www.geocities.com/mlpwhizzer19/italiansea.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20091028052300/http://www.geocities.com/mlpwhizzer19/seafaq.html

Given your location, I would say it is most likely to be Italian. With a pony, I would value it at around $25-30, so maybe ~$10-15 on it's own?

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 02:49:55 PM »
Shells r really expensive theses days i wouldnt sell for less than $20 alone based on market value and even for that price its very fair. I havent watched ebay much this year but i saw 2 auctions sell with the purple shell and yellow italy seapony for $80 us and $90 and and auction with the yellow shell and blue italy seapony shell for well over $100 on ebay.com.

Also I cant tell if your shell is italian or uk, normally the italy shells are a touch darker in colour from memory in saying that i dont think it alters the value, as it is lots of people want the shells reguardless of origins

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:49:54 AM »
Thank you for the link to the archive LadyG :heart:

I knew she had a shell comparison on her website, but I wasn't sure which shells she compared.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Aquarel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 12:53:03 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »
This is what I can add to the conversation:

Yellow shells - UK shell is a lighter butter-yellow while Italy shell is a golden-yellow.

Purple shells - I have the US shell from my childhood collection & it's identical to the shell that I bought with an Italian seapony. Assuming the US & UK shells are the same, AND assuming this shell with my Italian sea pony is original, this color shell is the same across all 3 releases. (I don't have a UK purple shell to compare).

Pink shells - My US pink shell is from my childhood collection. The pink shell I purchased with an Italian sea pony is just slightly darker. The difference is so slight that I don't think I could tell the difference between 2 shells unless I was looking at them side by side in person. I don't have a UK pink shell to compare in this situation, either.

Offline Aquarel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 10:32:30 AM »
Thanks KitKat!

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 04:35:07 PM »
I have both US and Italian shells and they look identical to me :)

As an interesting observation, my Italian shells have a code on the bottom (under 1984 Hasbro...) that says M-3776-4-3.

I picked up a US shell that looks identical and under the copyright it said M-3631-3.  However, I have the same shell (also with certainty from the US), and the code was the same as the Italy shells.  I wonder if this was coincidental or possibly based on production year?  So my best guess is that the shells used for US and Italian ponies are the same :)   
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 04:27:10 PM »
This is what I can add to the conversation:

Purple shells - I have the US shell from my childhood collection & it's identical to the shell that I bought with an Italian seapony. Assuming the US & UK shells are the same, AND assuming this shell with my Italian sea pony is original, this color shell is the same across all 3 releases. (I don't have a UK purple shell to compare).

I have custody of two purple shells at the moment. One is my Seaspray's shell which came from a local car boot. I'm less sure about my spare but while I don't think either are Italian or American I think they are a slightly different shade. We only have Wavebreaker, we never got a "Wavedancer" and she has a yellow shell, so there may just be manufacturing differences/batch? I think the same may be true with the yellow shell, as I think my sister's shell is a shade darker than the one my Sea Breeze lives in (but not as gold as the Italian one).

I dunno if that helps at all, as I know practically nothing about the Italian sea ponies and their release overall.

My guess would be the numbers relate to year of issue. I think the shells were out in the US and such around 1983 first of all? Has anyone checked the numbers of first year shells to say, Sand Dollar's to see whether the numbers are the same or differ? That might answer the question of when they came out. The UK ones would also have been around 1984-5 which would tally with Sand Dollar's release I think?

Edit to add - all my UK  sourced shells say either M-3776-4-3 or M-3776-4-4. None of my American sourced clam shells have this but various other codes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:46:15 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal