collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Nintendo is pulling previous generation Wi-Fi service May 20, 2014  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo is pulling previous generation Wi-Fi service May 20, 2014
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
I don't have the ability to use Wi-Fi, but I know a lot of you do and would be bummed. I just wanted you to know so you wouldn't get a horrible surprise in a couple of months. :(

Cumberbatch2012

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
I read about this earlier, but since I use a 2DS, does that mean my copy of Animal Crossing Wild World will still be playable online with others who also have a 2DS to play Wild World on? 

I'm hoping that will be the case, I have a 3ds and still enjoy playing wildworld as well as new leaf xD id be willing to test it out with you if you like?

Okay cool.  We can try after they shut down everything and see if it works.  I have both Wild World and New Leaf.  I wouldn't want to never be able to visit anyone else's town in Wild World again.

Post Merge: February 27, 2014, 01:06:51 PM

I read about this earlier, but since I use a 2DS, does that mean my copy of Animal Crossing Wild World will still be playable online with others who also have a 2DS to play Wild World on? 

From the way I understand it, the servers for all the DS games will be shut down. So even playing DS games online on a 3DS or 2DS won't be possible after they disable them in May.

My brother, son and I are now rushing through our older Pokemon games to get them transferred over to X & Y before this happens.

Grrrrrr!!  Well, we'll have to see what happens. 

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
Well my DS games could never connect anyway as they don't support WPA.

Still my mum plays animal crossing city folk and I suppose it will affect her =(

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

--- post merge ---

It won't affect the Poke Transporter. That is like pal park it doesn't use wifi.

Equally it will not affect Poke Transfer from gen 4 to gen 5 as that uses local wireless not wifi.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:36:21 PM by SourdoughStomper »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »
I wonder if this means that the e-shop for the Wii will also be unavailable. 

Yep. It's ending all online services for the Wii and DS including the e-shops.

It's my understanding from the following quote, that the wii shop will still be available:

Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
WHAT! Okay, this bums me out as an avid Pokemon fan :C Ever since Generation 2, Pokemon players have had the ability to transfer Pokemon from older carts onto the latest generation game (I still have my very first Pokemon <3). I've got multiple GBA systems & link cables, DS systems and official Pokemon carts that I love playing and transferring between. The only way to transfer from Gen 4 carts onto Gen 5 carts is through a DS Download Play app called Poketransfer. Elimination of Wi-fi means that Pokemon from Gen 5 onward will be the only carts you can transfer between (unless enough noise is made and they rig something up to transfer between Gen 4+5 again) because there's no back compatibility with older gen games for the 3DS. I really hope Nintendo does have something in the works to transfer from Gen 4 to 5 & 6. In the mean time, I'd better get crackin' at transferring 444 Pokemon from my SoulSilver to Black because that is going to be a whole lot of mini gaming just to get my Pokemon moved (at least 74 plays of that Pokemon catch game!) X__x

Thank you SO much for posting about this, I'd have probably put off transferring my best 'Mons until it was too late D:

My brother, son and I are now rushing through our older Pokemon games to get them transferred over to X & Y before this happens.

Exactly what I'm doing ;-; I'm going to have to go through my Dex and make sure I've got everyone I need from my older gen games before May D: I'm going to be a master at that Poketransfer mini game by the time I'm done :P

*points up* This. All of this.

I've been playing Pokemon X pretty steadily the last few days, but I haven't yet begun the merge from my older games. It is going to be a massive undertaking >.>

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »
Well my DS games could never connect anyway as they don't support WPA.

Still my mum plays animal crossing city folk and I suppose it will affect her =(

--- post merge ---

It won't affect the Poke Transporter. That is like pal park it doesn't use wifi.

Equally it will not affect Poke Transfer from gen 4 to gen 5 as that uses local wireless not wifi.

REALLY? OH SNAP m'lady, you just gave me hope! Thanks for the heads up

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 05:25:57 PM »
Well... oh well. I was never big on online play with my Wii or DS. I play more online with my 3DS, so there's that, too... But I don't have a Wii U yet, so I guess Nintendo is trying to push people like me in that direction.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »
wow. guessing the dsi will still be connected?
major bummer for all my foreign pokemon games. can only play those on my original ds.
no more trading. though i don't think you can trade on gts on those anymore anyway.

go ahead nintendo. next thing we know is your taking pokemon from us too.. *weeps in corner*

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
wow. guessing the dsi will still be connected?
major bummer for all my foreign pokemon games. can only play those on my original ds.
no more trading. though i don't think you can trade on gts on those anymore anyway.

go ahead nintendo. next thing we know is your taking pokemon from us too.. *weeps in corner*

You can at least still trade from gen 4 to gen 5, and that's good enough for me! I thought Poketransfer was something hosted over Wi-Fi, but it's local wireless as Star said earlier in the thread :D

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 08:37:57 PM »
But the PokeBank just opened for the US. And some countries haven't got it yet. So they want us to pay for a service that they're going to take away in less than six months!?!

sailorstitch

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 09:33:47 PM »
But the PokeBank just opened for the US. And some countries haven't got it yet. So they want us to pay for a service that they're going to take away in less than six months!?!

sailorstitch

PokeBank WILL NOT be affected.

Things that will be affected:
Online play and matchmaking
Leaderboards and tournament data
Sharing of user generated content (ghost data, user created levels)
User exchange of in-game items or characters (Global Trade Station)
Free add-on content or downloads (new levels, in-game items, Mystery Gifts)

Things that will not:
Pokebank
E-shops ("Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.")

Here's a list of affected games:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/games-wifi.jsp

Nobody has anything to worry about with Pokemon. You will be able to transfer Pokemon up from gen III to gen VI without trouble...well...except the trouble of PalParking pokemon from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/LG/FR, through Diamond/Pearl/Plat/HGSS then Black/White/BW2.... to Poketransfer, then all the way to X+Y. ;P

Unfortunately, to all upset about losing out on Wi-Fi for Animal Crossing Wild World and City Folk, you will no longer be able to play online with other players. They will not work on a 3DS/2DS unfortunately.

Post Merge: February 27, 2014, 09:42:00 PM

I can kinda understand this, at least with nintendo DS, because they cant keep supporting mostly redundant technology. but I do think it seems a bit early for the wii, but I guess it just doesn't seem like its actually been out for that long. xD Maybe because its a system iv never had much interest in.

Oh, the Wii came out in 2006, it's 7 years old actually. So it's definitely old enough. The DS only came out 2 years before it! It's weird to think it was that long ago. I was 14 when the Wii came out, and I'm 22 now!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:42:00 PM by melipuffles »

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 10:28:18 PM »
Wow, that's pretty uncool :( I have a 3DS and a WiiU, but also an original DS and Wii. I felt disconnected enough as it was when they cut the Everybody Votes and Weather Forecast channels for the Wii :P I've only had the Wii for 2 years I think, I have trouble with the fact that it's obsolete already!

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 04:57:46 AM »
Sailorstitch where did you get this idea it will affect Pokebank? Pokebank and Poke transfer do not use the DS wifi. Pokebank uses 3DS wifi and Poke transfer uses Local wireless for ds. Pal park uses dual slots on ds. Trading pokemon between two ds or locally visiting someones town on ds all use local wireless. You are fine.

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 05:24:09 AM »
I was worried the You Tube app on our Wii would be disconnected, but sounds like it will be okay. (Hopefully.)
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 05:46:05 AM »
I have a 3DS, but some of my games are for DS and have features that require Nintendo WiFi. I haven't actually used those feautres, though; so I don't have the right to complain. Still, it sucks that even if I would like to use them in future, I won't be able to... :(
I hope that 3DS won't be replaced with a completely new system any time soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal