collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I am in Japan! So where do I find ponies?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: I am in Japan! So where do I find ponies?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
My boyfriend has spent the last year in Japan, and the only ponies he's found have been some (adorable) plushies from a vending machine/game thing, and even those he only found once.

ETA I also spent 4 months there and didn't see a single pony :(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:43:03 AM by Calico_Star »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
Recycle shops have become popular as of late, but they aren't as cheap, and I haven't found any ponies :(
In some parts of Japan, the Recycle stores can be very cheap - A friend of mine visits one regularly, and some of the stuff for the price they get it for is incredible. Of course, being in a country like England, I find Japan considerably less expensive in general :P

Like others though, I don't really see any ponies. I may have encountered a Takara baby at a Recycle store, but that was before I really knew how popular they were  :yikes:

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
Yes, I would strongly recommend the Nakano Broadway building. It is completely awesome and several floors. On the top floor is a man who sells anime cels...could you do me a huge favour if you ever go there, and see if he's still there?! I practically lived there and after that awful earthquake I keep wondering about that guy and if he's still there...I'd feel so much better if I knew!!

It's very cool because you enter by going under some covered avenues. A lot like the ones in Paris if you've ever been there. I remember loads of toy shops being there with lots of anime figures, Hello Kitty, etc. I don't remember seeing too many non-anime items there. (There's a huge Mandarake there as well.) And a pet shop. Actually directly when you come out of Nakano station, on the same side of the street right before Nakano Sun Plaza there is a really good pizza place (or there was!!)

Let me think on it and I might be able to think of some more places that had toys. Sunshine City (Sunshine 60 skyscraper in the middle...highly recommend for a night visit...) had toy shops in the mall underneath. There was random stuff in Akihabara (I'm thinking specifically of an Animate near there) I'm not sure too much on regular toys however... I was mostly looking for anime stuff when I was there, but in Sunshine City I def remember it was a toy store with broader selection than focus on anime items. Although if you like anime, the Ikebukuro Animate is like O___o giant!! (I haven't watched anime in years yet I still had a fun time when I was into anime!)

PS I also recommend Tokyo gardens, which are very beautiful; the Four Seasons Hotel in Tokyo has its own garden and it's small but very nice. Get off at Edogawabashi station and up the hill. I also recommend eating in Ebisu (Shibuya) I believe it was actually in the station or a short walk from there, there is an excellent pasta restaurant o_o who would have thought?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »
I love Tokyo - its been 2 years too long since I was last there! I always say if and when I leave the UK I would love to live in Japan or NZ they have been my favourite countries to visit over the years! You are so lucky to be there for 3 years! Awesome.

I would recommend Nakano Broadway as well - it is just an awesome experience - my friend "dragged" me there and it ended up being one of the highlights for me.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline EvilMuffins

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
I was in Japan (Tokyo specifically) for 2 1/2 weeks in 2006, the height of the G3 craze in the US (and other countries).

After extensive looking at toy stores for those two weeks and not finding a single pony, it was my conclusion that Japanese toy stores do not carry MLP as a rule. :(

Like someone mentioned, you might find some Takara or G1's in used toy stores, but don't get your hopes up at finding any G4's. I don't think MLP is a 'thing' in Japan like it is in the US and European countries.

Edit: I did find one bait-condition G1 Braided Beauty in a mall that sold retro toys. The price tag said the equivalent of $50 US! 0_0 (I wish I had brought my extra ponies to sell when I saw that!)

This.  I've been here two years, and
1) there are no new ponies sold here with the exception of seeing G3s in Nakano in Tokyo and in one place in Kyoto, but they were specially imported,
2) You can find G1s and other vintage toys in a few shops that I do know about, but they are quite pricey (though I did luckily score some rares for a decent price)  I did ask one shop, and they do not buy from individual sellers.  They actually told me that they send people to US and other countries for the summer to scour their flea markets!  No wonder we can't find ponies at flea markets at home, we have international competition that are *paid* to find things before us!

Back in 2003 when I visited (I have family here, that's why I'm also here now) Jun Planning had a G1/G2 line of keychains and phone straps that were Japan only, but they don't make those anymore.  That's too bad, because I loved them!
Also, there are no thrift stores in Japan.  In their culture, they either throw or give away things that are unwanted..for the most part.  Recycle shops have become popular as of late, but they aren't as cheap, and I haven't found any ponies :(  No Takaras, and I've searched MANY areas in the country!  Not to say it's impossible, but very, very hard.  Good luck to anyone though!

*edit* and yes, I have not found one G4..

*end of rant* lol

Was it one of the vintage/cutesy ('fairy-kei') clothing shops like Nile Perch or Spank? If I could only visit two shops in Japan, those would be the two! <3 Someday.

I do recommend those shops to the original poster, btw! They are clothes stores but they sell vintage toys too from what I've seen. Also, some of the dresses they sell are made from MLP bedsheets!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:48:55 PM by EvilMuffins »

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
*waves to my old flea market rival, but has nothing useful to contribute to this thread except saying "good luck"*
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline tebrighteyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 01:46:39 AM »
Thanks so much for the replies everyone.   That is so much help and a lot of information.  I am probably going to have to write a lot of it down.   I was not really expectiong to find any g4s but I was hoping to find some G1s.   $50 for a Braided Beauty though  :shocked:

Ah I have been to Sunshine City but didn`t know they had toy stores. 

Heliodor I have been to Ikebukuro Animate.  So awesome!   Ikebukuro is just awesome in general.  I can try to find the guy too.  Anything you want me to say to him?

ochibawolf:  So cool you are going to love it!  Maybe we could meet up and go pony hunting XD

So I am going to try to find Nakano Broadway.   I have been in Japan for two months and I am still getting lost XD   

And why  thank you Kellyponyfeathers

I did take Japanese in college for a year but the language barrier is hard. But everyone has been really nice so far.

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 02:22:26 AM »
I was in Japan (Tokyo specifically) for 2 1/2 weeks in 2006, the height of the G3 craze in the US (and other countries).

After extensive looking at toy stores for those two weeks and not finding a single pony, it was my conclusion that Japanese toy stores do not carry MLP as a rule. :(

Like someone mentioned, you might find some Takara or G1's in used toy stores, but don't get your hopes up at finding any G4's. I don't think MLP is a 'thing' in Japan like it is in the US and European countries.

Edit: I did find one bait-condition G1 Braided Beauty in a mall that sold retro toys. The price tag said the equivalent of $50 US! 0_0 (I wish I had brought my extra ponies to sell when I saw that!)

This.  I've been here two years, and
1) there are no new ponies sold here with the exception of seeing G3s in Nakano in Tokyo and in one place in Kyoto, but they were specially imported,
2) You can find G1s and other vintage toys in a few shops that I do know about, but they are quite pricey (though I did luckily score some rares for a decent price)  I did ask one shop, and they do not buy from individual sellers.  They actually told me that they send people to US and other countries for the summer to scour their flea markets!  No wonder we can't find ponies at flea markets at home, we have international competition that are *paid* to find things before us!

Back in 2003 when I visited (I have family here, that's why I'm also here now) Jun Planning had a G1/G2 line of keychains and phone straps that were Japan only, but they don't make those anymore.  That's too bad, because I loved them!
Also, there are no thrift stores in Japan.  In their culture, they either throw or give away things that are unwanted..for the most part.  Recycle shops have become popular as of late, but they aren't as cheap, and I haven't found any ponies :(  No Takaras, and I've searched MANY areas in the country!  Not to say it's impossible, but very, very hard.  Good luck to anyone though!

*edit* and yes, I have not found one G4..

*end of rant* lol

Was it one of the vintage/cutesy ('fairy-kei') clothing shops like Nile Perch or Spank? If I could only visit two shops in Japan, those would be the two! <3 Someday.

I do recommend those shops to the original poster, btw! They are clothes stores but they sell vintage toys too from what I've seen. Also, some of the dresses they sell are made from MLP bedsheets!

Yes, Nile Perch is one of them!  I haven't been to Spank but I hear it's similar.  The prices Nile charges for ponies, last I was in there they wanted over $40 US for a half bald SS Shady!

Sora, yes there are some cheaper recycle shops, but none of the ones I've seen had toys.  There *used* to be one that I loved owned by Book Off called Toys Off that was CHEAP and amazing, but is now gone :(

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline MidoriKeiko

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 03:07:19 AM »
in harajuku there was a toy store there. the name has slipped my mind though.

Offline specialk070581

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 05:26:27 AM »
I've been to Japan a couple of times and have had no luck with ponies - either new or vintage.

Both times we visited various districts and found shop after shop filled with vintage toys including G1 Transformers and every other robot toy under the sun, but I never saw any ponies. The closest thing to ponies were probably some vintage Care Bear and Strawberry Shortcake dolls I saw in a couple of  Mandarake stores.

As far as new ponies (G3 or G4), I never saw anything that I couldn't get here (in Australia).

I'm sure the stock in vintage stores is constantly changing though so I hope you have more luck than me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal