collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: About cutie marks...  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: About cutie marks...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »
*cough* G1's have symbols, not cutie marks, >_>;
Agree that putting the markings on only one side is lame lame lame.  Just another cost cutting measure.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

StarLite

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 04:19:29 AM »
I could forgive this on the G3s, since they have other things going for them like magnets, foot symbols over those magnets, and eye symbols too, but what have G4s got?  Being smaller than ever?

G4s have 'still-being-five-dollars-in-2012'.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:37 AM »
Price may not be an issue for us, but these are not manufactured or marketed as collectors items. They are toys, and in a struggling economy where toys are luxury items, keeping costs down is extremely important for companies.

Hit the nail on the head....personally its the thing I dislike in the most recent gens...the laziness of only having a symbol on one side. But at the end of the day if it saves them money - they will do what cuts down on manufacturing costs - especially as most of their "buyers" are playing with their ponies and not displaying them as we will. Doesnt stop me wishing they would even up those pony flanks though!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »
Even when I was little, I would have been unhappy with the asymmetry of the cutie marks, so to me, it's not just a "collector's issue". I can't have been the only kid like this.

As for toy sales being down, I blame that more on re-releases of the same character than on quality. What collector OR child wants 10 of the same character? That's no fun to play with, and what parent is going to buy the same toy over and over again? Barbie seems to be the only toy that is successful with this strategy, and I can't figure out why.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »
Toy sales are also down because parents have barely enough money to feed their kids/buy clothes/etc...
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 08:18:06 AM »
I could forgive this on the G3s, since they have other things going for them like magnets, foot symbols over those magnets, and eye symbols too, but what have G4s got?  Being smaller than ever?

THIS. I think that keeping the singles right at or under $5 ($4.99) is a big deal and a really great idea. It's so dang affordable. If you're a parent shopping with your kids it's way more reasonable to let them pick out a toy if the cost is so minimal.

Hasbros "girl" toy sales are down overall, but MLP has the best performance in that segment, so clearly they're doing something right. And if it really bothered anyone that much, you just wouldn't buy them.

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
I don't, at least not new.

Also, while I recognize that printing the picture only on one side does save a lot of money, given the huge scale they're manufactured out, I don't think printing on both sides would bump the price over $5.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 08:42:05 AM »

THIS. I think that keeping the singles right at or under $5 ($4.99) is a big deal and a really great idea. It's so dang affordable. If you're a parent shopping with your kids it's way more reasonable to let them pick out a toy if the cost is so minimal.

Hasbros "girl" toy sales are down overall, but MLP has the best performance in that segment, so clearly they're doing something right. And if it really bothered anyone that much, you just wouldn't buy them.

Pity they don't follow that strategy outside the USA! I don't think a lot of people here like the idea of paying 7-8 euro for a fairly small pony.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 09:43:10 AM »
Agree that putting the markings on only one side is lame lame lame.  Just another cost cutting measure.

Gotta agree with Baby Sugarberry here.  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

appleponygal

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »
Yeah, I've thought about that myself!  I noticed with the G3s that the cutie mark isn't even on same side in all ponies so you have to have them facing different ways which is a little awkward.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »
Also, while I recognize that printing the picture only on one side does save a lot of money, given the huge scale they're manufactured out, I don't think printing on both sides would bump the price over $5.

Kind of agree.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
Pretty sure we all noticed. =P I think it's pretty lame. I adore the fact that with G2, you can not only turn the heads any way you want (on most, at least) but they have symbols on both sides so you can display them facing either way. Hasbro had it all right back then...

Gotta agree with Baby Sugarberry here.  ;)

LOL. No ponies have 'cutie marks' if you ask me. =P
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 02:12:42 PM »

I thought I was the only one who called them "symbols" so I wrote cutie marks instead, lol. I actually hate that they're called cutie marks XD
My Wish List

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
"Cutie mark" is a G3 or G4 term, I think it came about in G3?  It definitely was not around in the first two generations, and I refuse to call my ponies symbols "cutie" anything.  PTOOEY. Makes them sound all cutsey and gross. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
I'll call G3 and G4 symbols cutie marks since it's cannon, but I do think it sounds like they're trying too hard to sound cute and girly. They already are cute! No need to go overboard with it, I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal