collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coronavirus info, facts & updates  (Read 21376 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Coronavirus info, facts & updates
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »
I think this sums up the UK shop situation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11173697/coronavirus-panic-buyers-raid-tesco-shelves-leave-destruction/

Warning in advance that this is not the most reliable paper in the world, but the photos seem to be legit. Also, suggest not reading the comments unless you want to see the worst of British stupid on public view.

The Tesco that was raided used to be my Tesco when I lived in North London. It's a BIG STORE.

I know the one in Wood Green too. Not sure how queuing in a huddle is helping prevent the spread of disease...

Had to laugh at Hazmat man though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:29:35 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »
Not sure how queuing in a huddle is helping prevent the spread of disease...

That reminds me... Apparently there are people here who are planning "99 parties". All events with more than hundred people are cancelled, so obviously you must organise parties with 99 people because it's cool to be a smart arse like that.

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2020, 04:25:41 PM »
My oldest son has had his SAT's cancelled/ rescheduled to whenever, his HS graduation is currently cancelled and his graduation trip he's saved up years for to New Zealand looks like it's not going to happen this summer.
We had planned to move but now we're likely to stay here for a while and home values are likely to tank meaning the equity we hoped to get from the sale of this house wont' be nearly enough to buy a decent place when we do move.

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
And... in the past 2 hours we have our 7th case, who has been all over the South Island.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2020, 08:47:28 PM »
There's been another death in the town north of me. Nursing homes are closed to visitors unless it is special circumstances.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2020, 12:12:26 AM »
And... in the past 2 hours we have our 7th case, who has been all over the South Island.

I hope no one in the North Island (that’s where my dad and brother are) gets it.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2020, 01:14:57 AM »

I hope no one in the North Island (that’s where my dad and brother are) gets it.
That's where most of the cases are here.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2020, 01:31:06 AM »
Hmmm, sounds like it's pretty filtered, newswise. Japanese news says single digits on new cases in China as of yesterday. Most of the newly detected do seem to be returnees, and Japan at least still has bans on travel from China.
And of course tbe conspiracy nuts have to weigh in...sigh. Japanese nuts blame Chinese bioweapons. Among many other ridiculous rumors. It's like, when you're reading an  article you get a percentage of fact versus hearsay, and they leave it to you sift the information overload to figure out which is which.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2020, 02:01:53 AM »
Not sure how queuing in a huddle is helping prevent the spread of disease...

That reminds me... Apparently there are people here who are planning "99 parties". All events with more than hundred people are cancelled, so obviously you must organise parties with 99 people because it's cool to be a smart arse like that.

Well done Netherlands.

It's really easy to see across all our European countries why this is spreading so fast.

Though the spike in US figures is also a bit alarming, I'm imagining it's more because more testing is happening than anything else.

I can't blame China for wanting to keep people out.

On the positive front apparently Chinese medics are in Italy helping advise them about the situation.

On the negative there are rumours here (after I said we'd have no shutdown) of draconian measures being imposed here going forward.

We still have no confirmed cases in my immediate area as of this morning. But they are now only testing patients requiring medical care.

Some estimates of the number of infected flying under the radar are tens of thousands more than the official stats. But that is generally a good thing because it would put the death ratio down to something closer to what we see with Flu.

I admit that I have more problems handling the uncertainty of potential disruption and some of the potential measures being discussed here than I do taking my chances with the virus.

Put it this way - I'd be more worried about my parents' mental and physical health on a long term lockdown than I am them going to the store to buy stuff right now when the risk in this area is so minimal. First time I've genuinely felt stressed by the crisis - because of the implications of these rumoured plans, not by the disease itself.

Again going back to the positive, though - prioritising manufacture of ventilators and commandeering private health care beds are good ideas. So is stockpiling the antivirals which they've had some success (not a cure) with in some of the Asian countries. So I guess we'll see which things are true or not on monday.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2020, 02:37:50 AM »
Today hopefully the decision comes to close all schools. Our neighbour countries already have so why not over here?
Spain is in lockdown but a few of my colleagues were there last week. So I am very curious if they will show up to work tomorrow.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2020, 03:08:56 AM »
Supermarkets? AWFUL. People are hoarding "ALL TEH THINGS!!!1!". It's awfully selfish, it makes me sick. I was doing some grocery shopping for my mother today, like I often do. This means I buy her things for an entire week, plus our own groceries, like I often do. This also means I had a full cart, including paper wares. There was no toilet paper left, so I got her two packs of paper kitchen towels instead, plus one(!) for us. Then this lady walks by and muttered sarcastically under her breath: "sooo, that's a nice load of toilet paper". I'm a peaceful person, but HNGJJFGHJFHGFJGHFJJDKF!!!11!

What a rude piece of work. I am a person to make sarcastic remarks but honestly, I would never joke in these situations because we can never know whether someone is treating an ill person at home. My parents care for my grandparents who are majorly at risk and if anyone got snappy I'd verbally trample them.

We have the same situation about the busses here and it looks like a crime scene sometimes with the driver area taped off. If they want to scare kids they certainly succeeded.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2020, 04:21:43 AM »
Supermarkets? AWFUL. People are hoarding "ALL TEH THINGS!!!1!". It's awfully selfish, it makes me sick. I was doing some grocery shopping for my mother today, like I often do. This means I buy her things for an entire week, plus our own groceries, like I often do. This also means I had a full cart, including paper wares. There was no toilet paper left, so I got her two packs of paper kitchen towels instead, plus one(!) for us. Then this lady walks by and muttered sarcastically under her breath: "sooo, that's a nice load of toilet paper". I'm a peaceful person, but HNGJJFGHJFHGFJGHFJJDKF!!!11!

What a rude piece of work. I am a person to make sarcastic remarks but honestly, I would never joke in these situations because we can never know whether someone is treating an ill person at home. My parents care for my grandparents who are majorly at risk and if anyone got snappy I'd verbally trample them.

I think this is a time to be kind to each other.

There are people who are very stressed and worried. There are people judging other people for what they are buying. That's not how we should be. Hopefully we can be kind and patient with each other during this.

Also, paper towels will clog up toilets immediately. Since you can't toss them into the toilet, consider something nicer for your bum. Google how to make zero waste toilet paper.

USA: The house passed something for PAID FMLA during this time, Congress is next, President said he'd approve it. There's some holes in it that it's not covering everyone unfortunately. But I hope it can at least help some people...

OHIO: If anyone in ohio didn't watch the governor's conferences, I urge them to. Actually, Dr Acton's information is just good for everyone. It's been the only information out there that just is flat out facts, yet calmly stated and NOT media hyped.
Also, I know schools are off for 3 weeks, but try to start making plans for something longer than that. They are considering extending it based on how things get.

NEO: If you didn't know, UH and CCF have teamed up for drive through testings. I believe the capacity is 500/day. You do a virtual visit through express care, and go from there. Testing at Cleveland Clinic will be free.
Summacare is also offering free testing, but I don't think they have drive through.
Note: Since we have limited tests, I think it will be limited based on symptoms. But please know it's there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:01:24 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2020, 09:13:46 AM »
Japanese news says single digits on new cases in China as of yesterday. Most of the newly detected do seem to be returnees,

That is correct, assuming the Chinese gov't isn't lying. The new infections are from people returning from Italy, The USA and Iran. This is why Beijing will quarantine ALL foreigners in a government facility for 14 days. The other mega cities also have similar rules in effect. Chinese citizens are also quarantined, but they might be able to quarantine at home if they are not showing symptoms.

One girl flew back from NY and sometime between when she left Moscow and arrived in Beijing, travellers from the USA were added to the quarantine list. She was sent to a quarantine hotel in Beijing.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2020, 10:38:00 AM »
Here is the latest news:

- Schools and day care are going to be closed until April 6, for those who have parents in "vital positions" like police, care etc. a solution is being looked for.
- Gyms, sauna's and health clubs also have to close their doors until April 6.
- Eating opportunities had to close up since 6pm tonight. Think of restaurants/cafe but also coffeeshops (pot). It doesn't apply for deliveries. And this rule also is until April 6.
The announcement was made at 5.30pm so people really had to rush. And a lot of food wasted. Ow and again the message not buy extremely. There is enough for every one.
Also the businesses in the red light district deciced to close down.

Tomorrow our Prime Minister will speech to the people which hasn't happened since the 70s over here.

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »
I went to two grocery stores today- both meat cases were empty, no chicken breasts or ground beef.  No potatoes.  So the normal people are going to go hungry because of the hoarders?
Wait... Maybe I'm not normal.  I am a 42 year old who collects toys and has more animal friends than real friends.
That sounds perfectly normal to me :biggrin:

I'm in Denmark. We have 864 confirmed cases and 3 deaths at this point, but there are many more that are infected. Since the last few days only people with more severe symptoms get checked for the virus. The public message is that if you experience mild symptoms "STAY AT HOME!"
Most of the country is locked down - schools and daycares are closed and so are lots of other things but not stores and there's plenty of food and supplies as long as people don't hoard. The government made a law preventing people from hoarding medication and they are ready to make one to prevent people from hoarding food etc. if it proves nescessary. There's a law against gatherings of more than 100 people and there are restrictions for public transportation. Yesterday they closed the borders for everyone but those with citizenship or a valid reason to enter (eg. work or very ill family member). We are constantly being told to keep distance to other people also when outdoors.

This is all a weird and unfamiliar situation but being the loner I am my everyday isn't that much different and I embrace the message of keeping a distance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal