collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies and light (Info needed)  (Read 367 times)

Offline Sochy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Ponies and light (Info needed)
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:59:39 PM »
Hello! First of all sorry if there are some mistakes in my english. Im with my phone right now and it autocorect me to spanish and is kinda tedious open a tab to another to check the traductor  :drunk:

Now to the important part...

Well, some time ago I read about the issue of ponies when they recive so much light, like discoloration for example.
The thing I want to know for example is how much light they  can recive? I mean, I have my ponies in a glass cabinet in my livingroom. When there are no visist I keep the doors of the cabinet open so they have some air. We have two windows usually with white courtains that let enter light to the house. They are usually closed.

The ceiling light is in the middle of the room and kinda high (maybe out ceiling is a out 4mts of the ground)

I was thinking of move the ponies to a darker place of the house, but im kinda unsure since they look so cute and give life to to our livingroom.

But well, Im woried they maybe are exposed to much light? I mean, is the normal one for a house, but Im still new in all of this of collect ponies and I want to keep my girls and boys in good conditions.

Thanks for the help!  :blush: sorry if im like to worried  about all this light issue :scared:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Art/Free Art (Closed)/Wishlist

Amazing little Dulce de Leche pixel by Weebkinz!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Ponies and light (Info needed)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
Unfortunately any kind of light is detrimental to ponies. I had a couple of twins (Milkweed and Tumbleweed) who before the black out blinds and the pony room, lived on a low shelf, stuffed right in the corner, hidden in their bassinet and shadowed by ponies in front and furniture else where in the room. They did not see even the smallest amount of direct daylight but there was daylight in the room coming in the curtains (and it was a shady room). After 12 months their hair had still faded somewhat from the original bright pink. UV rays bouncing around still reached those ponies.

That is an extreme case, yes, but unfortunately the only way you can prevent a pony from fading is to have them in a room which gets no sunlight.

So it comes down to how much fading you mind - you could rotate ponies in and out of the light (perhaps a few months tucked away in a box, a few months out to enjoy), rotate their positions in a cabinet/on a shelf to ensure any light reaches different parts of the pony. That way ponies may fade a little but it will be as limited as you can make it and at least even in distribution.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
Re: Ponies and light (Info needed)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
Since you have your ponies in a glass cabinet, maybe you could use UV protective film on the cabinet? I don't know how well it works, but it could still be worth a try. :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal