collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Humidifier + ponies =?  (Read 284 times)

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Humidifier + ponies =?
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »
My doctor has told me that I need to sleep with a humidifier on for my throat. I'm now worried of the effects that it could have on my ponies. They live on a book shelf in the corner on the other side of the room and can't be moved from the room. Will it cause pony cancer?

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Humidifier + ponies =?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »
I'm sure someone else will chime in but, I think people have used humidifers in their pony rooms with it being more helpful than hurtful to them. Like I said though will wait and see what people say. :read:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:36:33 PM »
Humid air can grow mold. I don't think it would cause "cancer" but I wouldn't keep ponies in a humid environment.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
Pony cancer is not caused by humidity - it is a flaw in the vinyl that makes it susceptible to breakdown. 

However, I wouldn't be too worried about your ponies as long as you keep the room clean.  Don't let moisture build up on the windows or the walls, make sure you sanitize the humidifier on a weekly basis, that sort of thing.  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
I wonder if you could maybe put a disposable dehumidifier among the ponies, to try and help keep the air directly around them less humid while your humidifier helps you?

I have a fish tank in my room and was advised that this was not safe for ponies, and have thus set up disposable dehumidifiers at strategic points and they all collect moisture at different rates. So perhaps just one or two with the ponies on their shelf could help out if you're worried about mould growing inside them. No worries about cancer at least though. ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Jennifer2004

• Hooked on Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Looking for Bowtie variants, nirvanas, & merch!
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer Bischoff
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
I wonder if you could maybe put a disposable dehumidifier among the ponies, to try and help keep the air directly around them less humid while your humidifier helps you?

I was also going to suggest this. I keep a few in my room actually. This is what I use: DampRid. I also bought a bunch of those little silica gel packs very cheap on Amazon, if I ever need to store my ponies I always through some of those in with them. (My room is very humid, I'm actually hoping to get a dehumidifier soon.)

Like spottedslug and LBS said humidity and moisture don't cause pony cancer, but they can cause mold.

~Jennifer
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:24:54 PM by Jennifer2004 »

eCrater Store - Commissions Info - Facebook Page

Offline ZapAppleMedia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »
I sleep with one with the ponies on my bookshelf by my bed and they are fine.

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
I've never had a problem with the humidifier in my room... Now the dehumidifier... I put a pony on the shelf next to where the dehumidifier is... It dried the ends of her hair out pretty quickly!  My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
I've never had a problem with the humidifier in my room... Now the dehumidifier... I put a pony on the shelf next to where the dehumidifier is... It dried the ends of her hair out pretty quickly!  My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip about drying hair, I would be so upset if I had accidentally done this as well. Thankfully my disposable dehumidifiers are far enough from ponies that their hair should be safe, I'll keep this in mind when changing the display. ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »
A dehumidifier is helpful because inexpensive plastic is not preserved at its best in humid air [although as long as it does not dry out the air too much - more to keep a balance than anything else], a humidifier however I would perhaps be a touch worried about. I think it depends on whether its a small humidifier which is just going to help in your immediate environs or whether it is designed to work in the whole room. I think initially just be careful, keep an eye on the ponies and if moisture does build up any where else in the room then perhaps you may need to reconsider the placement of the ponies. And if you are worried then a handful of silica gel packs or even a mini dehumidifer beside them is a good idea.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
I haven't seen any build out and the humidifier is only on for a few hours while I sleep. Thinks guys i'll keep an eye out for mold in my herd but i think i might be safe.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
I haven't seen any build out and the humidifier is only on for a few hours while I sleep. Thinks guys i'll keep an eye out for mold in my herd but i think i might be safe.

I would more keep an eye out for the plastic feeling tacky or the hair feeling a little damp :) Better to catch it before any kind of mould sets in :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal