collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 205980 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1395 on: May 03, 2023, 08:02:32 AM »
Daiya might be more popular if the anime was more readily available as well.  I work at a library and sometimes people don't request the mangas until after they've viewed the anime and it piques their interest.  I know I'd like to watch it, but this thread is the first place that I heard of it and the DVDs are pretty pricey.  So accessibility is hindering its popularity.  Is it streaming anywhere other than Crunchyroll?  (I don't have regular access to streaming sites so I haven't been able to look for it.)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: May 03, 2023, 08:38:44 AM »
Yeah, I've heard part of the problem with mahou shoujo stuff is that it tends to be merchandise-driven in Japan. I'm pretty sure that's why 4Kids dropped their dub of Tokyo Mew Mew, because they couldn't get a merch deal for TMM.  Heard similar for why the second half of their Doremi dub was streaming-only (keep in mind this was when streaming was VERY much in its infancy... releasing the back half of the dub on YouTube was a very novel idea at the time), think the word was the merch didn't sell well enough. though again, it sold extremely well in other countries.... but then, they actually bothered to advertise the show and air it at times kids were actually likely to see it!!! From what I've heard, 4Kids saddled both shows with crappy timeslots and did the bare minimum for them. I've even heard a rumour they only did Doremi because they got it with another show (One Piece?)... dunno if that's true, but it really wouldn't surprise me :/

(Not that 4Kids' dubs were good or anything, they were awful, but that's besides the point)

I don't think that's as much of a "thing" now that most things are streaming-only or going straight to home video, but still.

The other problem is that no one wants to dub girly stuff. :/ I'm convinced Madoka Magica primarily got released here because it's "dark" and edgy and "not like those OTHER kiddy magical girl shows!!!". I like Madoka, but still.

it'd also help if magical girl shows didn't always get compared to Sailor Moon >_> or being accused of being a ripoff, by ignorant people who don't realize the genre goes back to the 60s and was around looooong before Sailor Moon came onto the scene... I know Wedding Peach got hit HARD by that. People just saw the transforming heroines and insisted it was a ripoff because they didn't realize it was a pre-existing genre and didn't bother to do their research -_- Even now you'll usually see WP marked as a "Sailor Moon ripoff", when they really don't share many similarities past some shared cast and crew and the same basic genre.

I wish more companies would take a chance on a magical girl series, though. :/ I get that Doremi would be a bit of a risk (it's 4 1/2 seasons long, not the sort of thing you want to gamble with, I suppose), but Tokyo Mew Mew's reboot is being simulcast (and dubbed, I think) but the original still hasn't been properly released in English, which is bonkers - there's definitely a market for it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1397 on: May 04, 2023, 11:07:59 AM »
Re Daiya - it's a good point. I think part of the problem is there isn't a DVD release in the west, and Japanese DVDs are ridiculous (you get 3 episodes and pay $30? something like that). I only have a couple of the OVA DVDs but even then the others don't have subtitling on them if you happen to need that, so CR is literally the only outlet.

Maybe the sheer length is offputting as well. There are almost 90 volumes in total, which would be hard to keep in print.

On the Mahou Shoujo, people are like that with stuff. See people calling the Worst Witch a HP ripoff when it's older, and so on.

I still get annoyed when people try and make that comparison between Haruka and Fushigi Yuugi, because it's just idiotic. Haruka is younger than Fushigi Yuugi, true enough, but Haruka 1 is set in Heian Japan and Fushigi Yuugi is set in a book world in Ancient China.

Conclusion - people don't care about knowing stuff anymore.

It doesn't help that forums are largely defunct, too. In the past having detailed discussions and debates on specific anime was really common, now there's none of that. I even remember a group dedicated to seiyuu and another dedicated to Neoroma. Good luck finding anything like that now :/ Maybe in Japanese, but I don't use social media.

I think the story that Yona didn't get more animation was related to merchandise sales but I don't know if it's true.

And then there are series like Saiyuuki which get updated, if you're lucky, once every few years, but since the late 90s when it came out, they've gradually animated (in one case re-animated) all of it, in one way or another. It just took them until last year to finally get to the Even a Worm arc and do it justice.

Saiyuuki seems to be a big merch seller, which has kept it afloat through all of the years the mangaka has been ill or busy with other projects.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Destiny

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 04, 2023, 12:17:22 PM »
Quick question!

Where does everyone go to watch anime?
I've mainly used crunchyroll, but with them putting most of their stuff behind a paywall and lots of other sites adding anime, I was wondering where I'd most likely get my moneys worth.

(Also taking notes of every show mentioned in this thread I don't already know. Can never get too much).
Apple sauce!!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 04, 2023, 04:05:49 PM »
Quick question!

Where does everyone go to watch anime?
I've mainly used crunchyroll, but with them putting most of their stuff behind a paywall and lots of other sites adding anime, I was wondering where I'd most likely get my moneys worth.

(Also taking notes of every show mentioned in this thread I don't already know. Can never get too much).

Honestly, I wait until the Holiday sales on RightStuf, Sentai Filmworks, and Funimation websites between Thanksgiving and New Year's and stock up on DVDs for the year. I make a list and then hope that they are on sale.  If they're not on enough of a sale (or if I'm not dying to watch it) I put it on my list for the next year.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 05, 2023, 11:06:06 AM »
Crunchyroll and Netflix/Amazon mostly. I just wish I could more easily turn the subs off when I use the firestick for CR. I have no problem on my fire tablet, but I have to do it episode by episode on the stick :/

I've had premium on CR for a long time. It has its moments but for me it works well because ir doesn't prioritise dubs. They have their audience, I'm just not part of it :)

I also have a bunch on DVD though. Some from Japan, some from Europe, some from here.

We don't have all the streaming services the US have, but I feel like the availability now is better than it used to be.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 06, 2023, 12:09:10 PM »
Those are all good points about Daiya.  I guess it just gets to me sometimes that the effort hasn't been put in to bringing Dayia to a wider audience than some other shows.  I can't see a series set about baseball being unpopular in the US.  I'm not  a real life sports fan, but I love Dayia and I've learned a lot about baseball from just watching the show.

I didn't realize the Japanese DVDs didn't have subtitles. I'd be completely lost without them as I only know about 4 words in Japanese.

I think another season of Yona must have been planned based on the last scene in the series.  I still hope one day we'll either see another season or a another series that retells the story from the begining like the recent Fruits Basket series. 

I agree that magical girl anime is a lot older than Sailor Moon, but that is the one that everyone usually thinks of.  My grandparents had a video of a couple of episodes of Hana no Ko LunLun (Angel in English) that I have a vague memory of watching.

I usually watch Netflix or Crunchyroll for anime. :D  I discovered Yona on Hulu though.  I also have a lot of anime Blu Ray/DVDs.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 06:28:34 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 07, 2023, 02:24:56 AM »
Baseball doesn't exist here. I mean, they keep trying to make it catch on. BT sport insists on foisting the US baseball league on us, usually at antisocial hours because of time difference, and there are occasional series where baseball teams come play at the London stadium or somewhere in the summer, but I think cricket still has a hold on more people here thanks to the hundred and so on.

I don't like cricket, and have tried watching US baseball but (no offence) I found it dull. I *did* enjoy watching the Olympic baseball, but (probably because of the fact my only knowledge of baseball came from Daiya), I enjoyed Japan and Korea's games more than the US ones.

I'm a football (soccer) person though. ;) I have watched a few football anime, the best being the one that has a very brutal first episode, name eluding me right now. But
Spoiler
when they kill off a main character in ep 1 of a sports anime you know they mean business.

Japanese DVDs sometimes have close caption subtitles for people who have hearing issues, but I've never yet had a Japanese DVD with subtitles in English.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 07, 2023, 09:12:54 AM »
I'm a football (soccer) person though. ;) I have watched a few football anime, the best being the one that has a very brutal first episode, name eluding me right now. But
Spoiler
when they kill off a main character in ep 1 of a sports anime you know they mean business.

That sounds like an interesting anime.  Is it "Knight in the Area" (Area no Kishi)?  It came up in a Google search.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 07, 2023, 01:59:53 PM »
Spoiler

That sounds like an interesting anime.  Is it "Knight in the Area" (Area no Kishi)?  It came up in a Google search.

Ah, yes! That would be the one. Like the smooth library skills you used there tracking it down ;)

Spoilers below but...
Spoiler
=The main character and his brother are in an accident in the first episode, in which the mc's very talented brother dies...and then there is a whole heart transplant narrative that happens and the story kind of progresses with MC playing ball with his brother's heart.=

I have to say that for a sports anime, that's a pretty unique premise. Unfortunately the anime ends in a really odd place.
Spoiler
There's a subplot with the MC's childhood friend who is also a footballer and plays for the Japanese women's team, one of her matches is kind of the end of the anime.

Iirc there is more manga but I never looked that up.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 12, 2023, 12:27:53 PM »
Knight in the Area sounds interesting.

There's rumors going around that there may be some news soon about the Yona anime, but it's not from reliable sources.

I found out Insomniacs After School has an anime, but it's only on Hidive.

I'm thinking about watching Blue Period.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:43:19 PM by Ponyfan »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 13, 2023, 12:42:44 PM »
I would love to see more Yona anime, even if they only dealt with the volumes after 8, because we all need more Taejun. We just do.

...I was rewatching some of Daiya season 2 lately.

Spoiler
The first time I watched Inajitsu v Ugumori I felt like it was karma after THAT summer game with Seidou, but now, with the hindsight of the other game, I think about it a bit differently, and there's Kunitomo observing the  lack of leader in his team with Harada gone, and then sending Itsuki with Fukui to watch the Seidou game (Miyuki)...it really underpins how much the thing that Inajitsu doesn't have, for all the things it does, is basically Miyuki. And a team that operates around that core, as a team, rather than just a bunch of talented individuals. Subtle moralising there!

I've watched Blue Period twice. I enjoyed it :D I think it challenges preconceptions quite nicely.
Spoiler
Yuka is an interesting character.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 25, 2023, 03:38:31 PM »
I would love to see more Yona anime, even if they only dealt with the volumes after 8, because we all need more Taejun. We just do.

...I was rewatching some of Daiya season 2 lately.

Spoiler
The first time I watched Inajitsu v Ugumori I felt like it was karma after THAT summer game with Seidou, but now, with the hindsight of the other game, I think about it a bit differently, and there's Kunitomo observing the  lack of leader in his team with Harada gone, and then sending Itsuki with Fukui to watch the Seidou game (Miyuki)...it really underpins how much the thing that Inajitsu doesn't have, for all the things it does, is basically Miyuki. And a team that operates around that core, as a team, rather than just a bunch of talented individuals. Subtle moralising there!

Spoiler
I always thought it was karma too especially considering how Shirakawa and some of the other players acted during that game.  Now that I think about it though, I can see what you mean about the lack of leadership after Harada retires and the difference between that team and Seidou.

During the All Stars vs US game, didn't Miyuki say something about they all had to work together as a team instead of focusing on what they could individually?

A lot of new anime has been announced but still nothing about Daiya or Yona.  A new series about  Horimiya is coming.  It's supposed to include scenes that from the manga that didn't make in to the first anime. 

It's been a while since I watched anime but I'm hoping to get back to Haikyu and Spy family soon.  I also have a couple of movies that I bought, but haven't had a chance to watch yet.  I'm still watching Komi Can't Communicate too.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 03:51:38 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 26, 2023, 08:29:49 AM »
My Majo Minarai o Sagashite/Looking for Magical Doremi DVD/BD set arrived today :)

I was surprised to find it has a French dub as well as an English dub (as well as the original JP audio w/ English and French subs). Not sure where the English dub's come from, haven't been able to find any info on it... it's kind of wonky (and oh GOD their pronunciation of Japanese names/words is so bad!!) but... could be worse? It's interesting, lol.

I wish it was the original series, but I'm so happy to see something Doremi-related get an official English release!! I'm glad they made it a dual-format release too, since I don't have a Blu-Ray player. My only real complaint is that the case it comes in is horrible, it doesn't have enough space for both discs?? One of them just loosely slides in behind the other. This is the first DVD/BD combo set I've bought (yeah, I know, I'm old), is this sort of box design standard for them? :s

Offline Waves And Water

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 28, 2023, 03:38:15 PM »
You Lie in April was both beautiful yet very sad. The Promised Neverland watched both series I was left in tears, best ending ever. Pokémon and obvious fave to enjoy. Not crazy on that Go character. Clannad loved this series, very well done, been crying throughout. Death note very creepy but had an interesting story. Black Clove total shocker on the last episode I watched, amazing plot twist, but what is with leaving us sitting on a cliffhanger. Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra are both cleverly created, loved the plot twist and rich character stories. Astro boy a childhood fave I use to watch. The modern upgrade series is pretty groovy too. Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet had a very interesting story had me hooked to the end.

Yes I did see Yuri on Ice, but I’m not to crazy of the obsession on guys liking guy thing. Yet I have to admit, the skating choreography was brilliantly done. Did keep me tuned into the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal