collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 634
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 206090 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1290 on: August 13, 2022, 03:54:12 PM »
Komi season 2 has a digital soundtrack released already.  Once again all the titles are in Japanese, but I found a playlist on Youtube where someone translated them to English. That being said I have to go back to the Japanese tracks and try to figure out the titles on the English list because the person that translated them didn't put both titles on there.

I don't think it messes up for me, but I admit I do a lot of fast forwarding on those eps because of the brief recap and also because Komadai as a team annoy me, especially their pitcher. So I skip over that stuff.

Daiya is better than Haikyuu, just not so many people watch or follow Daiya because it's less accessible without a dub/manga translation. I want a new season of Daiya but I'm also torn because I only want one if they win this game xD.

I agree about Komadai.  The only one of those guys that doesn't get on my nerves as much as the rest is the catcher (I think? The one that tries to apologize to Miyuki). but the less I see of that team the better.

I also want another season of Daiya only if they win the current game.  Otherwise, I'd rather the anime stay where it is.

I've noticed that the animation in Haikyuu looks a little sloppy at times.  There's certain scenes where the characters faces look like they're coming through the volleyball net instead of being behind it. I know Daiya's animation isn't always perfect either but it's a little distracting in Haikyuu

It looks like the big Haikyuu announcement wasn't for a season 5 but a 2 part movie finale like Free Final Stroke.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1291 on: August 14, 2022, 03:06:00 PM »
Well, Haikyuu has a weird overall manga ending. Although I suspect they will end it with the game that season 4 builds up to.

Which, bearing in mind I didn't read the manga, but can't help but see the spoilers for,
Spoiler
yes this is a proper spoiler click at own risk
Spoiler
I'm talking about them against the Nekoma lot
Spoiler
they lose.

The Haikyuu animation gets weirder imo in Season 4, it took me a while to get used especially to Asahi's hair.

I feel like some of the Haikyuu characters also have slightly ridiculous appearances. Compared to Daiya where there are some wonky noses and let's not talk about the Americans...but otherwise the worst is pretty much occasional pink hair and guys who look accidentally in their forties (Inui, Azuma, LOL). Daiya is a much longer and much more brutal manga though. Maybe that's another reason Haikyuu has a bigger following, because it's easier to digest and not as hard on the nerves. I like Haikyuu a lot, especially from season 2 - and there are some moments in season 3 which I think are epic...it's just a lot more gentle than Daiya.

Agreed on the Komadai players. The catcher is ok, but that pitcher needs a slap. He's also responsible for a lot of Furuya's slump in early Act II, honestly. Though Furuya got to grow as a character so I guess it's ok.

Been watching Love All, Play (badminton anime). I'm not quite sure about the characters, not entirely, though they're not too bad. The ace though...I don't even know where to begin. Especially when I realised his seiyuu.

I haven't watched much anime recently, though, because of having to be careful what electronics I could run during the heatwave. My room is at the back and south facing, so it's been a bit of a sauna this week. No air con but great insulation.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 20, 2022, 07:08:12 PM »
Daiya

I've always wondered why Inui looks so old when he's supposed to be a high school student. :lol:

Another thing I don't like about the Komadai  team is when they're criticizing Furuya for leaving his hometown and going to play for Seidou instead.   If those are the type of people Furuya had to deal with in junior high, I don't blame him for wanting to play somewhere else.

Haikyuu

Spoiler
I'm glad Karasuno won against Date Tech.  I was afraid it was building up to almost winning and then losing at the last second.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 21, 2022, 01:05:58 AM »
Bearing in mind how Furuya was treated in middle school, it's honestly not the business of the Komadai lot what he decided to do. He obv. went to Tokyo because he read the article on Miyuki, but it's still a big deal decision to make, to try and put all that behind you in search of a catcher who can actually work with you. So yeah, that irritated me, too. I don't like them at all.

Inui probably got struck by lightning ;)

He's not a bad guy though. He just looks older than Kataoka ;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 25, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »
I'm not sure how many people have seen this already, but this is Saban's attempt at bringing Sailor Moon to the US before the real anime was.  I'm posting it here because I know we have some SM fans here.  Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA2VOuqaOnk

Spoiler
The pilot is so bad that it's funny in places. :lol:  There's a huge plot hole in the pilot that I assume would have been explained later on.   I know someone must have worked hard on Saban Moon for the pilot to exist but I'm glad that it was never picked up for a full series.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 10:36:10 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 25, 2022, 01:19:29 PM »
OMG someone finally found the pilot?!?! Holy cats, I've been waiting for this day for years!! I knew we'd get it eventually! Omg I can't wait to watch this XD This was one of my lost media holy grails, I can't believe it's out there finally!!! Thanks for the link Ponyfan, I probably wouldn't have seen it for ages otherwise.

edit: Okay I watched it :D

Spoiler
omg it's so bad XD the animation is so janky and baaaad, especially during Queen Serenity's big speech. The poor kitty playing Luna is clearly not having a fun time.

Gotta say, the transformation sequences looked pretty good for their time. Total 90s cheese sure, but you can tell that's where most of their budget went.

and omg all this time I really thought the stupid dancing bits were just something they filmed for the promo video, but no they're actually in the pilot :lmao: I'm trying not to be too harsh on it since it's just a proof of concept (I don't think a full series would've been much better, but I assume it would have at least had more of a semblance of a plot) but... omg who thought that would be a good way to sell the concept? :silly: The animated parts at least get their idea for it across, but the live action stuff is just a total trainwreck LOL. And was it taking place in a boarding school???

Interesting that they called Usagi "Victoria", that's what the DiC promo vid called her too - have you seen that vid Ponyfan? It has a bunch of weird, early English names for the girls. I always wondered where those names came from, guess they were Toei's creation if Toon Makers used them too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 12:10:52 PM by Carrehz »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 29, 2022, 06:45:42 AM »
@Taffeta

I read somewhere that Furuya and Eijun find out at some point that they read the same article about Miyuki.  I agree with you about Inui looking older than Kataoka.

I've wondered if Haruichi and Ryousuke's pink hair is a family trait.  I just remembered their mother is the OVA about their childhood but on my screen, it was hard to tell if her hair color is dark brown or a darker pink than her children.

Spy Family season 2 will start on October 1st. :D

Saban/Toon Makers Sailor Moon

Spoiler
I liked the transformation sequences too. I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to the original Sailor Moon but some of them looked pretty close to the anime's shots.

I'd like to know how Sailor Mercury ended up in a wheelchair on Earth/flying space chair in the animated part when she wasn't originally shown using one.  Was she injured in one of the worlds and that meant she was also injured in to the other one?

I'm also assuming that Darian didn't die in the spaceship explosion since Tuxedo Mask (I didn't catch if they said a name for his TM form in the pilot) showed up in the animated world.

The boarding school setting reminds me of Mia and Me but I feel like M and M is better executed than this would have been.  In Mia and Me, Mia enters a magical animated world through a magic book.  The book always has something written in it that directly deals with the events in the animated world.

I just looked up the DIC promo video.  I had to laugh at naming Ami "Blue" and The Masked Tuxedo. :lol:  It also amuses me that they mentioned the Carmen Sandiego animated series. Here's the link to the DIC promo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXqoPgbH0c

Ponyfan

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 29, 2022, 06:56:33 AM »
I love the DiC promo vid XD Especially "Blue".
I think Toonmakers would've called him The Masked Tuxedo too, since they had Moon as Victoria, I think Toei came up with those weird names from the DiC vid.

(Re: Saban Moon)
Spoiler
Yeah, I thought some of the attacks were more-or-less traced over from the originals too.

I didn't notice Mercury's wheelchair was missing in the first bit!! It'd be interesting to find out if they did have anything planned there (or maybe it was just a goof? XD). I wish we knew a bit more about their version of the story, how the overall plot would've gone, etc.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 29, 2022, 03:08:34 PM »
That Sailor Moon pilot made my friend and I die laughing. 
Re: Saban Sailor Moon
Spoiler
Mercury is in the futuristic "spacechair" in the beginning bit.  She's just almost always so far in the background or only her head is showing so that you don't really notice it until later in the episode.   The transition from fighting to daydreaming in class doesn't work at all for me.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 30, 2022, 06:23:45 AM »
I love those lines in the DIC promo "Girls will love SM's transformation from everyday schoolgirl into glamorous superhero.  Boys will love the nonstop action."  :lol:

Saban Moon

Spoiler
I missed Mercury's spacechair at the beginning. 

I'd like to know a little bit more about where they were going with the SM story too.  I feel like the broad strokes are there, but the finer details weren't completely thought out it.  We only see Queen Beryl in the pilot, but I wonder if we would have seen Jadeite etc. if this became a full series.

I think Saban was implying that the magical jewels were the source of SM and friends' power and also that Luna would be the link between SM on Earth and Queen Serenity. There needed to be more on how they transitioned to the animated world from the real world.

I started Komi season 2.  Overall, I like the series, but Yamai gets on my nerves easily.

Spoiler
This is the 2nd times she's gone to extremes using questionable methods to find out more about Komi. The first time she literally kidnapped Tadano and held him prisoner in her room.  In last episode I watched Yamai decided she wanted to see Komi's underwear so she tried to trick Komi into standing next to a puddle so Yamai could see.

I know it's supposed to be funny, but it just isn't to me.

Ponyfan

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 30, 2022, 04:10:34 PM »
I love those lines in the DIC promo "Girls will love SM's transformation from everyday schoolgirl into glamorous superhero.  Boys will love the nonstop action."  :lol:

That one gets me every time XD

Saban Moon:
Spoiler
I'd love to know if they planned to use the other villains, too. I think it's interesting how the cat monster in the pilot is clearly based on Bakene, that's a pretty deep cut, especially for something like this. All the other recognizable elements in the pilot are just basic SM stuff, and then there's a random mid-series youma in there... I really wonder where they got him from. Maybe Toei just showed them a bunch of youma designs and they picked one at random, idk.

And yeah idk why they didn't properly explain the transitional parts. It's weird since like... I get that this was just a proof-of-concept pitch, but it's just not presenting its concept very well! :P The animated part at the beginning gets the general plot hook across nicely, and then they just lose it completely when they get to the live action bit and just have a bunch of dancing - with one or two lines thrown in that sort of hint at the girls' personalities here - instead of continuing to explain their version of the plot, or introduce the characters, or... gah!! It's so confusing, it doesn't explain anything.

I think Saban was implying that the magical jewels were the source of SM and friends' power and also that Luna would be the link between SM on Earth and Queen Serenity. There needed to be more on how they transitioned to the animated world from the real world.

Yeah, that was the impression I got, too. I dunno why they couldn't have just put in a couple more lines explaining that :/ It's weird since the animated parts are... well not fantastic :silly: but they get their point across, you can get a feel for what that part of the show would be like. and then the live action stuff is just a total mess? It feels like they had completely different people working on them or something.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 06, 2022, 09:57:22 AM »

Saban Moon:
Spoiler
I'd love to know if they planned to use the other villains, too. I think it's interesting how the cat monster in the pilot is clearly based on Bakene, that's a pretty deep cut, especially for something like this. All the other recognizable elements in the pilot are just basic SM stuff, and then there's a random mid-series youma in there... I really wonder where they got him from. Maybe Toei just showed them a bunch of youma designs and they picked one at random, idk.

And yeah idk why they didn't properly explain the transitional parts. It's weird since like... I get that this was just a proof-of-concept pitch, but it's just not presenting its concept very well! :P The animated part at the beginning gets the general plot hook across nicely, and then they just lose it completely when they get to the live action bit and just have a bunch of dancing - with one or two lines thrown in that sort of hint at the girls' personalities here - instead of continuing to explain their version of the plot, or introduce the characters, or... gah!! It's so confusing, it doesn't explain anything.

Yeah, that was the impression I got, too. I dunno why they couldn't have just put in a couple more lines explaining that :/ It's weird since the animated parts are... well not fantastic :silly: but they get their point across, you can get a feel for what that part of the show would be like. and then the live action stuff is just a total mess? It feels like they had completely different people working on them or something.

Saban Moon

Spoiler
That's really interesting about Bakene.  It's been a while since I watched the original SM so I've forgotten a lot of the Youma designs.

One thing I did find interesting about Saban Moon is that the girls seem to be aware of what's happening in the real world while in the animated one since they talk in the animated world about missing the dance.

I finally figured out what this reminds me of.  It reminds me of when someone tried to bring Rainbow Brite back but implied that she'd forgotten everything that happened in Rainbow Land and was living as a normal girl on Earth.  RB was seen looking at the sky and drawing rainbows.

There's character songs for Free Final Stroke. :D  Some of them are on Spotify.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 06, 2022, 11:08:33 AM »
I'll have to look the songs up. Miyano Mamoru is a decent singer/has recorded and Rin is my favourite character xD.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 06, 2022, 01:00:59 PM »
Thanks for the links, ponyfan, I'll check them out :)

While we're sharing links, here's an old Free one with the seiyuu (for Nagisa, Haru, Rin, Rei and Makoto) singing one of the stupidly catchy theme songs (It might be the one with the camel, I can't remember...)

Miyano Mamoru is the tall guy in black with red tartan on his shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hgazQehXuk

I know Hirakawa Daisuke (Rei) is also a decent singer although he has quite a distinctive voice.  In the above clip he's wearing glasses and a tie. I also just discovered he was also in Daiya, though I missed him completely xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1k7UzHEO-k
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:05:04 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal