collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 671
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 206140 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #885 on: August 10, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »
Pokey - try downloading VLC media player and see if you can play the DVD with that. I've been able to watch DVDs from all regions using that, without changing the region on my computer. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #886 on: August 10, 2020, 07:55:44 AM »
I watched the first season of "The Rising of the Shield Hero" this weekend.  I liked it.

I wanted to watch part 2 of season 1 of Furuba BUT the copy that I got from Amazon is region 2, even though there was nothing on the listing that said that it wasn't region 1.  The listing said it was NTSC but there was no region listed.  And the seller was most unhelpful about fixing it so I just won't buy from them anymore.  Now I can't watch it unless I change the region on my PC, which apparently you can only do 4 or 5 times so...Yeah.  Not sure I want to do that.  So for now, I will just find something else to watch until I get a replacement copy.

Carrehz's advice is good, or you can set your PC region to 0 and then it will play everything...

If it's NTSC then it sounds like it's Japanese...not European. Ours are always PAL. But it would say that on the case.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 10, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »
No Attack on Titan season four, because it’s being delayed.  :cry: :bawl:  :sad: :cloud:

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 13, 2020, 02:23:11 PM »
I watched the first 2 episodes of EvolxLove.  The names being different in the dialogue than in the subs and on the screen really bothers me.  At one point MC shows a text on her phone from “Lucien” but in the dialogue I think she says his name is Simon. 

I can’t quite describe it, but something feels off with the anime besides the names issue.  Maybe it’s the pacing of the plot?  I will probably watch a few more episodes though.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 14, 2020, 12:05:55 PM »
I watched the first 2 episodes of EvolxLove.  The names being different in the dialogue than in the subs and on the screen really bothers me.  At one point MC shows a text on her phone from “Lucien” but in the dialogue I think she says his name is Simon. 

I can’t quite describe it, but something feels off with the anime besides the names issue.  Maybe it’s the pacing of the plot?  I will probably watch a few more episodes though.

Ponyfan

I need to watch the next eps to really comment beyond what I saw already.

The name thing really bothers me though. I prefer to watch on my TV but I have no way of turning off subs on the app...

But their names I think are Zen, Shimon, Haku and...I forget the other one. Oh yeah. Kira.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 15, 2020, 11:02:31 PM »
I watched A Silent Voice.  It's a good movie but really intense.   Even though I've watched it before it's still hard for me to watch certain scenes especially when Shoko is being bullied. 

I need to watch the next eps to really comment beyond what I saw already.

The name thing really bothers me though. I prefer to watch on my TV but I have no way of turning off subs on the app...

But their names I think are Zen, Shimon, Haku and...I forget the other one. Oh yeah. Kira.

I thought Haku was one of the names but wasn't completely sure since the subs don't match what their names are in the dialogue.   It's even worse in episode 4.  MC gets a note clearly signed Kira even though all of her texts from him on her phone before that said Kiro.  I know Kira is correct, but why go through the trouble to translate all of the previous conversations as being from Kiro and use the name Kiro in in subs if they're going to show him signing his name as Kira?

I watched episodes 3 and 4 of EvolxLove.   These episodes flowed better to me than the first 2.  Episode 4 is based on one of my favorite chapters in the Mr. Love game.  I do like that the anime has left out a lot of the filler that is in the game to make the major plot points tighter.   

Ponyfan 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:17:05 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 16, 2020, 02:37:21 AM »
From conversations with Uni about this I guess they tried to copy the English translation because they assumed people watching would want that.

It's actually the biggest reason i haven't watched beyond ep 3, though. I cannot stand translated or alternate names in things when I can hear and understand the original just fine. It's so disjointing. It's also why I replaced all my Fushigi Yuugi manga, because the Chinese versions of the name jar with me after being so used to the Japanese ones, and why I'll only deal with Saiunkoku stuff in Japanese, because even if the author wanted the English translation to use the Chinese surname 'Hong', I'm used to her being Kou Shuurei. You can't change her surname and not her first name, anyway. The only exception is Pokemon, because I used to watch it with sister long before I was majorly into anime...it even really twitches at me when people call Sailor Moon "Serena", when there's a reason she's called Usagi. Names often have meaning in Japanese, and completely re-rendering them loses that meaning.

The EvolxLove guys don't have kanji for their names so I can only guess at implied meanings, but I can still see potential hints in those names that are lost in the translation.

...So yeah. I could watch on my PC and turn off the subs but it's really uncomfortable doing that. I wish they had left the translated names for a future dub with the English language game voice artists.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:39:53 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #892 on: August 17, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »
Yay! Mr Love anime!

I've managed to watch all the episodes so far of Mr. Love (per youtube and crunchy roll) I have to say that the show actually makes me like Gavin better than the game does; not that I have ever hated Gavin. I think my order is Victor, Kiro, Gavin, Lucien. It also makes me feel a bit of sympathy for Lucien for some reason, but I think since I've played the game I know most of the story so it's not as much of a surprise for me knowing what is to come of the character. I think the him being color blind part might be confusing for anyone who hasn't played the game so actually when that is first presented (when we first meet the Lucien character), it sorta makes sense how he reacts to her and I like getting some emotion from him, seeing his reaction, etc. I think the anime gives us a better sense of his conflict, or at least that he has internal conflict about the MC.

Victor and Kiro are still my favorites, I can't say I've found any flaws in them in the translation to anime...except, this is my biggest problem with the anime. POTATO CHIP PRINCESS. Like WTH? It's supposed to be Miss Chips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, that's the only thing that bothers me that I am not happy with.

I also agree the last two episodes are better than the first, but I think watching them all together makes it work better. I also really like that we get to see the other characters, they're in game but this feels more like they're making them more well rounded out where in game it doesn't feel as interesting to have the other characters pop up.

The only other thing I really want is I HOPE they do the engish version and PLEASE use the english voice actors!!! If they do the english voice acting version I know I'm gonna buy this on dvd.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 17, 2020, 08:37:28 AM »
You already know I'm gonna say this, but I'm gonna argue about this nickname xD The Japanese is the original and the Japanese says Potachi-hime, which makes the sub more accurate than Miss Chips.

BUT...

The problem with the subs is that some of it is English based and some isn't.

Subs should stick to the Japanese.

Then they should do the dub with all the English terms and voices.

That way everyone is happy :)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 17, 2020, 10:06:28 AM »
 Kira/Kiro calling MC "Potato Chip Princess" is one of the things I love about the EvolxLove. anime   :) 

I got curious and looked up what means kira in Japanese. That is a good match for Kira's character.   

I've gotten used to watching subbed anime in Japanese. I can only understand a few words but I can tell that the names don't match the subs for the 4 main guys and it's harder for me to get involved in the story when there's such a disconnect between what I'm hearing and reading on the screen.       

I had almost forgotten that Shimon/Lucien is color blind until I saw he was starting to tell the story about the butterfly.   

Spoiler

The animation still feels a little off to me but the disarming the bomb scene was animated well.

I still am not a fan of Shimon/Lucien but I have this problem with other characters that have a similar storyline as he does after their true personality is revealed.

I’m still not sure why Kira/Kiro didn’t take MC to the hospital after everything that happened in episode 4 like he does in the game. Instead it looks like he took her home?

I'm going to wait for a few more episodes to be added to Crunchyroll before I watch more EvolxLove.   

I hope there will be an English dub eventually with their English names. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:25:38 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 17, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »

I got curious and looked up what means kira in Japanese. That is a good match for Kira's character.   

I've gotten used to watching subbed anime in Japanese.
Ponyfan

I have broken you with Daiya, haven't I >.>
Sorry about that XD.

"Shimon" could also be fingerprints.
"Haku" could signify white, which might also indicate innocence. But it can also be used as a verb, one meaning of which might be to confess to something.
The most obvious meaning for "Zen" to me is goodness.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #896 on: August 17, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »
I think for me the potato chip princess thing, the english version where the MC first get's a phone call from Kiro and he says, Found you Miss Chips; and every time after that just the way the english guy says it feels very endearing. Potato Chip Princess just feels to long for a nickname/endearment for me. I think it's also just how cheerful the english voice for Kiro is, that makes me like the character even more.

It's sorta like Victor's dummy, although at first Victor calling her idiot/dummy doesn't feel like an endearment, it's only later in game it feels that way. Which I've found the intereactions between Victor and MC in the anime cute and even funny. Whereas in game there were a couple times I was so frustrated with Victor I wanted to kick him. It's also if possible make me like Victor a little better as there are a couple of scenes we don't get in game (like when MC goes to the restaurant), you get to see a bit more that you were not aware of in game.

I also feel like with the anime they're streamlining the story better, so I'm hoping that continues so it makes the story better but also clears up stuff that the game doesn't really resolve or is confusing in game.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 18, 2020, 05:54:01 AM »
I think for me the potato chip princess thing, the english version where the MC first get's a phone call from Kiro and he says, Found you Miss Chips; and every time after that just the way the english guy says it feels very endearing. Potato Chip Princess just feels to long for a nickname/endearment for me. I think it's also just how cheerful the english voice for Kiro is, that makes me like the character even more.

It's sorta like Victor's dummy, although at first Victor calling her idiot/dummy doesn't feel like an endearment, it's only later in game it feels that way. Which I've found the intereactions between Victor and MC in the anime cute and even funny. Whereas in game there were a couple times I was so frustrated with Victor I wanted to kick him. It's also if possible make me like Victor a little better as there are a couple of scenes we don't get in game (like when MC goes to the restaurant), you get to see a bit more that you were not aware of in game.

I also feel like with the anime they're streamlining the story better, so I'm hoping that continues so it makes the story better but also clears up stuff that the game doesn't really resolve or is confusing in game.

I also like that the anime is keeping the essence of the story and getting rid of a lot of the extra stuff that exists in the game.

I think the anime is also good at bringing out the nuances in the guys that are harder to see in the game.  I hope it will include all of the important dates and calls since Campus Date is animated. :) I want to see Kira/Kiro’s Birthday Date and Shimon’s/Lucien’s Aquarium Date animated also. 

I love that we see Zen/Victor listening to MC’s conversation with Kira/Kiro. Zen’s/Victor’s speech to MC in his office made me laugh. :lol: If I hadn’t already learned what “baka” means in Japanese from Diamond no Ace I think I would have figured it out from his speech.

I have broken you with Daiya, haven't I >.>
Sorry about that XD.

Yes, you have. :D :D 

That’s really interesting about the Japanese names. I’m not sure if Shimon’s meaning fits the character but the others do.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 18, 2020, 08:21:47 AM »
Useful anime vocabulary - "baka" xD.

On another note while I think about it - if you're cool with Japanese dubs a bit more now, if you did decide to watch Fushigi Yuugi, rather than read it, the English dub is notoriously bad and known for being awful. It's the main reason I stopped ever watching dubs. The Japanese dub is awesome though. It's the thing that made me want to learn Japanese. So just for the record.

You might be better at tolerating completely wooden acting than me. But if not...just a heads up ;) It's bad -.-.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 18, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
Useful anime vocabulary - "baka" xD.

On another note while I think about it - if you're cool with Japanese dubs a bit more now, if you did decide to watch Fushigi Yuugi, rather than read it, the English dub is notoriously bad and known for being awful. It's the main reason I stopped ever watching dubs. The Japanese dub is awesome though. It's the thing that made me want to learn Japanese. So just for the record.

You might be better at tolerating completely wooden acting than me. But if not...just a heads up ;) It's bad -.-.

I'll be watching  Fushigi Yuugi in Japanese.  :)  I'm also thinking about rewatching Yona in Japanese. 

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal