collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: RIP queen Elizabeth II  (Read 689 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: RIP queen Elizabeth II
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2022, 05:59:01 AM »
I've been pretty disgusted with certain comments made elsewhere on the net, too - especially the idiots who think it's funny and cool to treat it as a big joke. Like, we're all entitled to our own views and opinions etc, but have some tact and compassion. :/

I think like most of us, she did the best she could, and that's good enough for me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2022, 04:55:36 PM »
It feels so weird.
She's so ingrained in the commonwealth. I met her once. My grandmother received a QSM and QSJM from her.

It's the end of an era, and I feel very sad about it. I've seen some horrible commentary online but for me, she was my head of state, my queen and always constant.

And getting my tongue around KING Charles. Woo.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2022, 06:48:50 PM »
it's so weird to think of King Charles III. it's always been Queen Elizabeth II. being a royal does not seem fun or glamourous. i don't have any envy.

also i had to refresh my mind on the previous Charles' and theres certainly some drama there.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2022, 08:31:15 PM »
Well, this one has his head.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2022, 04:34:55 AM »
elsewhere on the net

:lookround: I generally try to avoid Elsewhere!

My thoughts are that I'm sad, but she had reached a good age. The timing seems hard though because of all the other changes. I think King Charles will be OK.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2022, 07:59:03 AM »
Being public eye whether its royal, celebrity, high officials in government ect..   Never easy and sadly always someone trying digg up negative dirt over those individuals or negative comments...   Queen Elizabeth live thru many changes through history and many folks forget raising and way hold one self in society eye changes throughout history...   What ok when I growing up not so now....  From what I understand from my talking grandparents things much differently they growing up....    So Queen Elizabeth she not only stress of changing time but to rule England nation throughout change of time...   Where in USA president or governor may only maximum 8 yrs terms...   That alone testament to Strength Queen Elizabeth...   She had not only public eye but try raise royal family in public eye just imagine someone continuing watch u whatever u do or with your family....   What King Charles do will of his own testament and know must alot pressure on his shoulder to try live up to his mother Queen Elizabeth  legacy...  I saw photo King Charles YouTube and he look so much in grieve with crown on his head...    Honestly I feel society need have little compassion these public figures are still human and will not picture perfect...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2022, 05:19:40 AM »
There was a great quote from her that I think answers the more disgusting comments.

"Goodwill is better than resentment, tolerance is better than revenge, compassion is better than anger, above all a lively concern for the interests of others as well as our own."

I have no issue with people being anti-monarchy, or having reasons to dislike the institution, given the history of our royal family and colonialism. BUT on a basic level, if you cannot have the human empathy to respect the loved ones of a person passing over, you are a horrible individual and should be ashamed.

People who have opposing political perspectives will have time and space to air them constructively after mourning is over.

As a historian I feel so mixed about this. It is the end of the only era we've ever known, but at the same time, all these historic institutions that have come into play are really interesting to follow.

Charles II was a better King than Charles I, who literally lost his head. I think Charles II is often remembered as being a bit of a womaniser, but he was out on the streets during the fire of London, helping put out the flames with his brother (the future James II, who fled England in a dress following his overthrow). I guess my point is that historic monarchy is far from one dimensional, and Kings/Queens are human beings, and not perfect. But our one and only shot at being a republic was very not pretty either.

I just want to mention that Elizabeth wasn't the Queen of England, but the Queen of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Head of the Commonwealth and head of state for a number of other nations like NZ, as Loa mentioned. Whether those states will continue to consider the new King the head of state is a matter for them to decide. The Stuart dynasty, from which both Charles I and Charles II came, were actually a Scottish royal family who inherited the throne in England after the death of the previous Elizabeth in 1603. And Elizabeth II was, I believe, half scottish. I'm pretty sure the Queen Mother came from Scotland.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 05:21:51 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2022, 09:27:57 AM »
It is really interesting seeing all those historic functions being put into action I must admit. Not something to wish for, but undoubtedly interesting. Did I say I really like the fact that King Charles III has such an interest in Wales, being previously the Prince of Wales? I think that's a very good thing. And what a lovely quote, thank you. My favourite is "Grief is the price we pay for love".... and I just made myself go all funny  :cry:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022, 05:52:44 AM »
All flags are flying at half-staff in the US in honor of Queen Elizabeth.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2022, 06:23:35 AM »
i have some strong feelings about royals as a concept. i'm generally against any sort of hierarchy as a result of my years and years of Catholic schooling. living with someone who grew up in a commonwealth country and ended up there as a result of colonialism adds another point of view. but colonialism is a system to encompasses much more than the royalty. i don't really think it's good to make an individual person the symbol of colonialism.

another thought i had was how we call Queen Elizabeth II "The Queen" in the US. there are other royalty but everyone knows who you're talking about when you say "The Queen". i wonder if Charles will be called "The King". it feels weird to me.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2022, 07:14:24 AM »
I think "The Queen" in the US is a kind of endearment. I don't think Americans are as invested in Charles, so he'd probably be referred to as just King Charles. Not even giving him the numerical denotation because Americans don't think about past royalty unless it's King George. And even then, we say King George, not King George the third.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:18:12 AM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »
People here are used to just referring to Charles as Charles, and I don't really think that will change any time soon. "The Queen" was a possible moniker because of how long she was on the throne and how normal it was for us all...before she was crowned, her mother (who I think of as the Queen Mother) would have been called the Queen. I know George V's wife was known as Queen Mary during his reign. I've also seen press refer to Queen Camilla, as is her official title now, but I doubt anyone will call her that in private conversation.

According to my folks, George VI's death wasn't such an end of an era moment - even though he was a very respected and loved king because of the war and the fact he and his wife didn't leave London during the blitz, even though the palace was bombed. George wasn't meant to become King, but the reason I think it wasn't so cataclysmic was because people remembered George V, Edward VIII's brief debacle and George VI was only king for a shorter period of time. Elizabeth has been queen for most people's whole lifetimes, so yeah. It's probably a one off for everyone to call her just 'The Queen'.

Charles is 73, so he won't be king for 70 years. When the throne passes to William, it probably won't be the same kind of earth-shattering jolt that this has been, because most people will still remember this accession. It depends on when that happens, and how long William lives, as to whether that reign becomes a lengthy block of time. And, of course, we don't know what might change in the future.

A lot of European countries also have monarchs, though. I think mostly Kings now, but there certainly were other Queens in other countries while Elizabeth was on our throne.

I have a lot of complicated thoughts on republicanism and colonialism, but I don't think they belong in this memorial thread. All I will say is that all systems of government are hierarchical, and nothing involving human beings is ever perfect.

Editing to add something a bit lighter in the spirit of the thread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62893596

I actually saw one of these yesterday from the bus, at one of the stops en route to the county town. I wondered if it was a local or a national initiative, but I guess it's a lot more widespread than I realised. Some great pictures there :)

For anyone not in the UK who doesn't realise, the post is still technically the 'Royal Mail', at least by name. I'm not sure if it is still potentially treason to steal mail or not, now, but all our postboxes have the crown on them, and the current ones all EIIR. I guess new ones will have CIIIR instead, but that's the reason that the post boxes have been chosen for this kind of statement.

I think we still have a few gold ones from 2012, when olympic gold medalists from London 2012 had postboxes painted gold in their home regions. That was the Queen's jubilee year too, so I wonder if there will be any gold boxes with knitted toppers showing up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:33:28 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal