collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does it make you mad when you see...?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Does it make you mad when you see...?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »
I don't mind too much paying $10-$15 on a nice G1 :) Or even more for a pony I really, really love! I don't like paying over $5 for a loose G3 or G4 though :P But I made an exception for G4 Sweetie Swirl since I HADTOHAVEHER XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »
I never imagined toy collecting was going to break me!  :shocked: :blink:

Uh... have you ever collected anything before? o.0

I'm a big collector of a LOT of different things and yes, you have to pay for stuff. And it adds up! That's how the economy works. You don't get it for free/cheap just because you want it a lot.

Also please keep in mind those $1 jeans you are getting at the thrift store could be $30-50 or more in a normal store. So comparing a thrift store and ebay are not the same things.

Not that there's no one on ebay who overprices their stuff, I'm not saying that. But you can't expect everything in life to be priced like a thrift store. Ebay has existed for so long because the basic principles of supply and demand just work. If you want it, you pay for it. If a lot of people want it, you have to pay more.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
I love finding ponies (or anything else I like and buy) at he thrift store.  But I have no problem buying stuff off eBay and am willing to spend money - my limit's $30 - on a pony if it's one I want.  eBay provides a convenient service and I'm definitely willing to pay for that and hopefully be able to find the pony I'm hunting for.

The only time eBay prices bug me is when sellers overprice common ponies that aren't worth more than a couple of dollars or lie about condition.  Otherwise, as much as I love a bargain, I'm willing to pay fair value.   After all, a lot of ponies aren't made any more so I'm paying for something that is no longer mass produced.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
You also have to consider the ponies in a thrift store were willingly donated to them, for free. They only have to charge $.50 to make a small profit on them, whereas an eBay seller has to consider eBay fees and shipping. The business model is completely different.

I love getting my cheap G3s from my flea market guy. He has an overhead and a family to take care of, but he gives me a great deal on ponies every time I go. I would be very excited to find ponies in a thrift store, as well. It's nice to catch breaks when you're collecting on an enormous scale.

Everyone has different limitations when it comes to collecting. This is sometimes based on circumstances, sometimes on preference. You have your limitations, that's fine. However, I don't really think there's anything to be upset about. Thrift stores don't make squat from toys. They have to price them to move or else they'll sit there forever. That's just the way it goes. People thrift for clothes, mostly. Maybe some neat vintage items. Not toys. Most people who thrift don't care about grody, second-hand toys. Therefore, supply pretty much always outweighs demand. On eBay, the supply/demand model is different based on the idea that it's a website that can be accessed the world over and most collectors will go there to look for ponies/collectibles they need.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »
You also have to consider the ponies in a thrift store were willingly donated to them, for free. They only have to charge $.50 to make a small profit on them, whereas an eBay seller has to consider eBay fees and shipping. The business model is completely different.

Everyone has different limitations when it comes to collecting. This is sometimes based on circumstances, sometimes on preference. You have your limitations, that's fine. However, I don't really think there's anything to be upset about. Thrift stores don't make squat from toys. They have to price them to move or else they'll sit there forever. That's just the way it goes. People thrift for clothes, mostly. Maybe some neat vintage items. Not toys. Most people who thrift don't care about grody, second-hand toys. Therefore, supply pretty much always outweighs demand. On eBay, the supply/demand model is different based on the idea that it's a website that can be accessed the world over and most collectors will go there to look for ponies/collectibles they need.

Very, very true.  It is annoying to see "commons" being sold at $8 apiece but soon if the popularity of MLP continues, the prices WILL rise to that, simply as supply and demand.  But Ebay is a marketplace and a yard sale or thrift store are that - extremely different.  If they were the same, you'd see Mimic on the shelf at Salvation Army and RUN TO HER, only to find that she's $75.  :(  None of us really want that so we tolerate the fact that sometimes sellers ask too much.  The important thing is, YOU don't have to pay that price.  ;)  So enjoy the pony hunt - they are still a bargain when it comes to toy collecting!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

angela22

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
"I love getting my cheap G3s from my flea market guy. He has an overhead and a family to take care of, but he gives me a great deal on ponies every time I go. I would be very excited to find ponies in a thrift store, as well. It's nice to catch breaks when you're collecting on an enormous scale."
 :thumb:

Great thought Yurusumaji - I think sometimes we can forget that the sellers of... anything really... have overhead and a family to take care of - that's reality. If ebay sellers were looking to break even, they still couldn't price items at thrift store prices. They would end up owing ebay money, be in the hole from what they paid for their ponies originally, and their families would starve from lack of income.   :sweat:

So, while I understand the frustration with rising costs of collectibles, I think we also have to be mindful of the value of even "common" ponies as 30 year old vintage toys - and remember that it's only because of venues like ebay (driven by profit motivation, which feeds families) that those ponies can even be called "common". Ebay sellers have made them plentiful to us, thank goodness. (But I could be biased, because I am able to continue being a stay at home mom to my two toddlers by selling ponies online. :whistle:) I don't think I overprice them, but if anything over thrift store prices is overpriced than I guess I'm guilty of overpricing.

There's just no way that after paying $3 for a pony, spending the time to clean it and list it (with no hourly wage), and then paying 15% of any profit I do make to ebay and paypal.... that I can get by selling even a Cotton Candy for $5. I just can't do it. I would end up having to pay out the nose just to sell it (not to mention lose my time too).

I know what it's like to be an ebay buyer though, too - and have bought most of my collection from other ebay sellers - and have always been very happy with my ponies for the money I spent. I'd rather have a pony than cash! It makes me think of the line from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, when Charlie was going to sell his golden ticket to get money for his poor family. His Grandpa told him: "There's only 5 of those tickets in the world, but they print more money every day, Charlie. Only a dummy would trade something so special for something as common as money!"

Just my thoughts on the whole subject.... and by the way, yay for finding ponies! Glad you got a good haul!  :iconclap:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:16:51 AM by angela22 »

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 12:28:06 AM »
even though I'm not a big collector and thus I am not willing to pay certain prices they originally go for, I know some ponies actually are worth more. especially the older gens. and so I know that if I want to get some ponies that are worth more, my only chance to get them other than paying an amount I usually wouldn't pay for a pony is to be lucky.
it's nice to find bargain ponies in thrift stores, but imho those prices don't reflect their actual value, it's just luck. I usually think of nice price thrift ponies in a way like "you were lucky to find that pony there, just in the right place, right time, and the nice price is a compensation for that".

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
This thread really has me thinking about how much money in the past year I've spent on toys..

and... I'm in further than I imagined. After adding everything up between Action figures, Pokemon, Lord of The Rings, Ponies, and Dolls.. I'm at...

1,700 dollars...

Only about 150 of that is ponies.  :blush:

The reason I love them is because they are so cheap. I don't try to hunt down the hard to find ones because there's so many cheap ones out there I can find and be happy with. I don't judge people for paying more for what they want. There are way more true collectors out there than me. I love ponies but they'll always be the cheapest thing for me to collect. <3

Like someone else, my most money has been spent on Pokemon merch. About 800 dollars worth. I've taken a break from that though because it REALLY was running me in the poor house.

*sigh* Kind of unrelated but I really wish G4 would release more variety of ponies like G3..

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 03:16:21 AM »
No it doesnt annoy me - makes me shake my head and ignore but not out and out annoy me.

If it wasnt for sites like the Arena and ebay I dont think I would have any ponies as they certainly dont appear in any local charity shops/garage sales to any degree [except my stalker Baby Stella - who is the only pony I ever find in real life].

I also dont think a pony is "overpriced" unless it is significantly above with the current selling average is. If Cotton Candy's going auction end average on ebay is $10 than a seller asking a bin for $10 is doing nothing wrong other than selling their pony for its "worth". If the pony is listed at $30 then thats a little daring but just because they are asking for the price doesnt mean they are going to get it :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 03:20:27 AM »
Well I do recommend setting up a budget if you're gonna collect anything. That way you won't be in for nasty surprises down the line such as that you've spent more than you can afford on your collection.

Make sure you pay your bills first and buy things you actually need and then set aside an amount you can spare and think is allright for your collecting. That way you wont overspend and won't feel like collecting is breaking your economy. Cuz' it definitly shouldn't.
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
Shenanigans I also really really want a G4 sweetie Swirl.  I have not broken down and gotten her yet.  :(

I think there are a few sellers who I have seen overprice ALL of there items. For example $129 for what is normally a $45 horse. Same seller puts dolls up for four times what they otherwise go for. This drives me crazy!  But if people are bidding up to a number consistently then that is the market value.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »
Like someone else, my most money has been spent on Pokemon merch. About 800 dollars worth. I've taken a break from that though because it REALLY was running me in the poor house.

My Pokémon collection alone is worth $1,700. XD I had to take a break, as well. Pokémon is a merchandising empire, covering every base possible and selling it all without batting an eyelash. MLP just isn't as big, but it's a way cheaper collection to obtain. My score from the flea market guy last weekend ended up at $.75 a pony. Most Pokémon stuff I collect is $5+ for the small stuff and $20+ for plush. Cheapest stuff you can buy in Pokémon is second-hand Kids figures for $1.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »
I think it makes me happier to see the situation you described. I thought the ebay prices being expensive was a normal thing (except in a few cases where prices make no sense). So, seeing ponies for 50 cents would just make me happy in comparison.

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 08:07:07 AM »
It does bother me to see the common G1's marked in the "teens" price and Labled as "HTF or Rare"...Come on, do some research if your going to list things for sale! But without ebay, I wouldn't have 75% of my collection and it's worth it for me to sit down and order/bid on an item. I spend one day going to about 8-10 different thrift stores to only come up empty handed! I spent alot more in gas and had nothing to show for it.

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline paradise-estate

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • I Heart G1 Ponehs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 08:35:29 AM »
I do agree with this in the sense of common ponies. In good condition, is pay $5-6 for a comnon. But I see these nirvanas and some go up to $800 and more! Isnt -that- a tad too much to pay for a toy pony, granted they are very rare. With $800 I could go abroad or buy more important stuff hah. I do think some eBay sellers are kidding themselves with charging what they do, but I must admit, a large percent of my ponies come from there.
When it comes to thrift/charity shops I haven't found one G1 where i live! I've found a couple at car boot sales. My pride story is buying Baby Billie in nm condition for 20p! Mwhaaha.

** COLLECTING G1 PONIES FOR MY HERD :D THE MORE THE MERRIER!**
My WANT LIST*~* My gallery of adoptables I've drawn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal