collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...  (Read 29844 times)

Offline gallifreyan_pony

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So, about the whole Hasbro getting rid of ":muffin: Pony" thing...
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
I admit I'm not especially fussed about :muffin: Pony, I personally wasn't offended but I can see the issues other people have and they feel strongly and deserve to be taken seriously.

I actually think that the major problem comes from the animators listening to the fans, interacting with them and trying to please them. I suspect that whoever okayed :muffin: Pony on the Hasbro end had no idea the can of worms they were opening (which is perhaps also the exact opposite problem!), but the studio really shouldn't be mucking about with fanservice anyway. It's just asking for trouble and smacks of egoism.

As for this particular issue, I don't feel like there is enough information on what is actually happening to comment. It might be about complaints, or legal issues or nothing at all.

If there are serious issues involving :muffin: Pony then that's the DVD release screwed though, isn't it? Which would be a massive shame.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2012, 09:22:10 AM »
I feel I should clarify, I don't hate the character, I like her colors and the fact that they didn't fix the animation error, and I though her inclusion as a kind of easter-egg in the episodes was silly, but a nice reference to the fans who like her. I just don't think anything with her beyond that was handled well, whether her fan-name, or the extent of her clumsiness boarding on incompetence, or making her fan name canon (just in principle for any of the background characters).

Like I said before, I don't really care though what Hasbro ultimately is doing, and I'm not even sure I care why...I want to know, but I can go along with whatever they decide, unless they remove the episode entirely. I don't think it's wrong at all for fans to like her, but I do think there needs to be a little more consideration paid to those who find her offensive because they do have a point I think, and I think it's unfortunate that at this point, until we know what's going on, it doesn't look like anyone's happy. I hope Hasbro just comes to some conclusion that a majority of fans can be satisfied with.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »
how about this for a cool derpisode of mlp?
:muffin: Pony gets tired of being made fun of so she goes to princess celestia or some other powerful being and casts a spell that turns EVERYPONIES eyes crossed and makes them clumsy, they all figure out how wrong they all are and make up with :muffin: Pony then everything goes back to normal and :muffin: Pony joins the herd as a team member!
then twilight can write somthing like this
Dear princess celestia.
today i learned a valuble lesson about friendship, just because somepony looks different doesn't make it right to make fun of them, in fact they just might surprise you with they things they can do! something something, and then have a witty phrase of some sort to tie it all together

cool idea?
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
The origin of the word "derp" really needs to be clarified. - 

The first known instance of the word “derp” comes from the 1998 film Baseketball by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. During a scene where they are caught smelling underwear taken from a woman’s private drawer, Matt runs out of the room and says “Derp.”

And thus, :muffin: Pony's name is not derived from any insult towards people with disabilities. "Derp" is a reply to a stupid comment or action, and so is comparable to "duh" - a word which populates quite a lot of cartoons and is pretty commonly accepted.

*applauds* THANK YOU! I was just about to point this out. (I had never actually seen Baseketball, but I thought that the term "derp" came from the episode that made fun of Rob Scheider. In the episode commentary, they mentioned that the weird Rob Schneider trailers were parodies of a bunch of odd movies he was in at the time, and they all had the same "derp derp-a derptidy derp" rhythm.") I have never heard it used as an insult to the mentally disabled before this whole :muffin: Pony controversy came about- like babymoondust pointed out, I always just used it like "duh."

I didn't even take her portrayal to be that offensive either, just that she was just kind of klutzy and aloof. I sort of see her evolving into the lovable clumsy and eccentric character that you just can't help but love- but we already have that with Pinkie Pie! We don't need another character like that. Maybe in the background, but giving her a name and speech kind of takes the appeal away, I think.

It breaks my heart to see such a cute show be so hated on once something like this pops up. Not here, and not bronies as a whole, but the ones that are making such a big deal out of it need to grow up. Yes, it's My Little Pony, yes, it's amazing, and a cute show and entertaining and all that, but at the end of the day it's MY LITTLE PONY. It's okay to have it as a guilty pleasure- I'm 22 years old and spend what little spending money I have on them because it's something fun to do, and something that makes me happy. But at the end of the day, we're still adults and we should know when to act like them. I just think some- and I mean SOME, not all- bronies are being really immature about this whole thing. It breaks my heart, it really does. :(

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2012, 09:34:22 AM »
Everyone needs to put their big girl/boy undies on here..  I am sorry but i do NOT find a thing about :muffin: Pony or her name offensive.  its bratty fans and over protective parents that are going to ruin the show. :(     i hate all this PC nonsense.   if your offended , then go be offended somewhere else because myself and many others enjoy the show. if parents are so worried about the offensiveness of the cartoon then how about you turn the tv off?  it only takes the click of a button and a little supervision ;)     

It's GREAT the way it is and i love that the animators listen to the fans, not just the "target demographic"   because as an animation student and a fan of animation, i hate the stereotype of cartoons having to be for kids, and yes this one was intended to be but something happened and a fanbase was created.. deal with it people. lol they arent going anywhere everyone needs to stop fighting over a cartoon, i mean really?     
for a show like this to gather such a cult following of adults well... thats  a beautiful thing and doesnt happen often, let alone have shoutouts to the fans all the time.   
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
You know, when someone tells me they're offended by "X", my response is generally either "Oh really, sorry, I didn't realize it" or "Oh really, please explain" not "oh really, too bad, go away, you have no right to feel that way."

No one's saying you can't like the character, but have a little respect for others' feelings. You may not have heard the term ":muffin: Pony" used offensively, and I admit, I didn't know that was the origin, but that doesn't change the fact that it has been used that way. Maybe if people were more willing to take into consideration that some felt hurt and were more willing to talk about it instead of dismissing them, there wouldn't have been an issue at all!

Our enjoyment of a TV show is not more important than someone's feelings.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:44:10 AM by Elisto »

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
Oh wow, I hope I didn't come off the way of "oh really, too bad, go away, you have no right to feel that way." No, I understand completely that people are upset, and I feel that they have the right to if they see the character as a negative portrayal of a specific community. I just don't personally don't see her that way, just aloof.

Sorry if I came off that way. I'm actually very defensive of the mentally disabled- I've been known to smack the hands of people who say that things are "retarded." I guess I should have proofread that better. =(

ETA: And when I say "grow up," I mean the bronies that are throwing a fit over "wah wah they took my fanon out of the show!" Not bronies as a whole, and not people who are offended.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:55:38 AM by Rachel-Eyes »

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2012, 09:53:42 AM »
The origin of the word "derp" really needs to be clarified. - 

The first known instance of the word “derp” comes from the 1998 film Baseketball by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. During a scene where they are caught smelling underwear taken from a woman’s private drawer, Matt runs out of the room and says “Derp.”

And thus, :muffin: Pony's name is not derived from any insult towards people with disabilities. "Derp" is a reply to a stupid comment or action, and so is comparable to "duh" - a word which populates quite a lot of cartoons and is pretty commonly accepted.

Then there's "Mr. Derp". Has he been mentioned among these threads? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kAQmUJfmHE
^ Terrible quality, turn up the sound.
He's trying way too hard to be hilarious but he's in no way mentally handicapped.

As far as how :muffin: Pony was treated, the big reason for that is that she was with Dash. Rainbow Dash isn't The Element of Patience. If somebody is clumsy, she's going to get cranky with them. But I don't see a whole lot of blaming Dash for her behavoir.  And if you have children why not talk to them about how Dash could have handled her better? There are issues in that show that aren't presented as the Big Moral of the story. How about talking about Sweetie Belle making off with her sister's supplies as well?

I love :muffin: Pony but I don't think she should be over used. Maybe one minor role per season, and just a background character apart from that. The clumsiness can be dialed back a bit too. But removing her entirely? Or changing everything about her untill she's just a generic character? Naw.

Now to be slightly off-topic:

"Derp" doesn't mean what it used to? You know what other word has been corrupted? BRONY. Everybody knows that every last brony is a self entitled manchild who thinks they own the show and wanders around the toy section muttering about their creepy feelings for Fluttershy. There can't possibly be any normal fans who call themselves that! Reminds me of what happened with the term "furry" where the loudest and worst used the term and people were right there to tar everyone drawing dogpeople with the same brush and feel superior.

I was always under the impression that a "brony" was an adult fan of FIM, originally male though it's become a generic term. Why a special term? Because there was such an influx of new fans with FIM and not all of them are into previous generations, or at least not as excited about them as the newer stuff.

Tarring all bronies with the same brush and feeling superior are things people should watch out for.  When you're into CHILDREN'S CARTOONS and collecting piles of of CHILDREN'S TOYS, there isn't a lot of room to be snotty. People outside the fandom think YOU are ridiculous as well.

:unsure: (Why write this here? Well, maybe I'm wrong but I've been getting a vibe of "Bronies are self-entitled idiots" with some of the posts in threads about the whole :muffin: Pony Hooves issue)

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
Everyone needs to put their big girl/boy undies on here..  I am sorry but i do NOT find a thing about :muffin: Pony or her name offensive.  its bratty fans and over protective parents that are going to ruin the show. :(     i hate all this PC nonsense.   if your offended , then go be offended somewhere else because myself and many others enjoy the show. if parents are so worried about the offensiveness of the cartoon then how about you turn the tv off?  it only takes the click of a button and a little supervision ;)     

It's GREAT the way it is and i love that the animators listen to the fans, not just the "target demographic"   because as an animation student and a fan of animation, i hate the stereotype of cartoons having to be for kids, and yes this one was intended to be but something happened and a fanbase was created.. deal with it people. lol they arent going anywhere everyone needs to stop fighting over a cartoon, i mean really?     
for a show like this to gather such a cult following of adults well... thats  a beautiful thing and doesnt happen often, let alone have shoutouts to the fans all the time.   

This ^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quill

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
Oh Lordy... I kinda saw this coming.  Here are my thoughts on the matter:

I personally feel like the show and the fandom should be separate.  Hasbro made a mistake in introducing :muffin: Pony to the show.  The show is intended for and marketed to young children, not people in the "brony" age range.  And I think it should stay that way.   If Hasbro keeps this up, the show is going to be completely run by bronies.  Hasbro is just losing sight of their target audience if you ask me.
I agree with this 100%.

creampuf

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »
Couple of my thoughts:

1. for the Japanese Tsunami Charity Lauren Faust did a sketch of :muffin: Pony/Ditzy/whatever. She did that for the fans who liked the character.

2. Lauren herself said she expected the character to be named Ditzy Doo. Leaving a passing chance that we may see her in shows.

3. We've seen before in the show moments where Ditzy Doo did something wrong and RD was clearly was frustrated.

4. RD is a very brash character who has a head full of steam...we see this time and time again, she's quick to anger and be judgmental...look at her and how she treated Tank in May the Best Pet Win.

5. I'm all for a RD viewpoint episode where she learns more about Ditzy and how to work with her. I think that would be brilliant to do...it would show kids and adults a little patience and to not judge a book by the cover but to help one another.

6. I am not offended by the character herself but am clearly getting more and more annoyed with the teenage angst and attitude of some (key word some, I refuse to generalize nor allude to this being a global attitude) of the brony crowd. Maybe some of them should take a moment to work with kids with retardation or other problems.

7. Hasbro owns the character and the rights...they may call her what they wish and they may protect their brand as they wish. Catering to fans is nice but they do not have ANY obligation to do as such.

8. It's a cartoon show...if you want your kids to learn morality, patience, acceptance then I'm sorry that is the job of the parents and not anyone else (yes I have kids one toddler and one teenager) We cannot hold the show accountable for these things.

That's about all I got...I though I would hit like 10 thoughts but you know brain fried.

I am not looking for an argument I just simply adding in my thoughts on this. Hope I didn't offend anyone but if I did I apologize now.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:57 AM »
after having watched the clip of :muffin: Pony and rainbow dash again, i find nothing offensive about it. i think its adorable! at first i was thinking "she reminds me of steve urckle". (not sure how to spell it) then when she asked rainbow dash if she was ok and if she could help with anything i thought "AWWW SHE'S SO ADORABLE! that sweet little voice, and she wants to help out!!!" nothing offensive about her, she's just a clumsy character who seems to be able to look on the bright side. she's got a smile on her face through it all, so that shows some high self esteem there.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »
As far as how :muffin: Pony was treated, the big reason for that is that she was with Dash. Rainbow Dash isn't The Element of Patience. If somebody is clumsy, she's going to get cranky with them. But I don't see a whole lot of blaming Dash for her behavoir.

Because someone CHOSE to use Rainbow Dash in that scene and CHOSE to make her that abrasive and CHOSE to give her those lines.  These are not real, flesh-and-blood people who are actually fixing town hall or fighting space bears, they are artificial constructs that Studio B uses as they will for whatever stories they choose to tell.   They made pretty much the worst possible choice in that scene.  Why not use mild-mannered, kindly Fluttershy to interact with :muffin: Pony?   (Or pretty much any other character besides Dash.)

As I said, major flubs on Studio B's part.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

DJ Midli

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »
I did notice trolls capitalizing on this and saying :muffin: Pony is a anti metal health issue name
...... thwy equated it to calling someone an rtard.. i thibk thats where the faracas came from....... sadly in this instance i think the trolls won ;_;
I don't know how people on other forums reacted, but a lot of people here have said that too, myself included, and we're not trolls. Her name IS derived from and insult towards people with disabilities, and even if that wasn't intentionally meant as in insult in naming her that, that doesn't make the history of the term ":muffin: Pony" go away. So people have a right to be offended by it and by others' insistence that they need to get over it. Frankly, I think Hasbro could/should have avoided this all by not using a fan-name officially to begin with like every other fan-named character, but I suspect it was done by the studio without the larger company realizing it.
no im sorry. You're wrong... as someone who knows the origin of the memebecause i was aroundthe site it came from you are wrong... you arent a troll but you sure have been duped by them.

Offline Pinkie21

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
at first i was thinking "she reminds me of steve urckle". (not sure how to spell it)

Aww yeah, I never have thought about that.  She does seem like Steve Urkel, personality-wise!  I think I've just developed a bit of love for :muffin: Pony now (yikes!)  As for the actual topic...I never would have thought I would see so much commotion over MLP :-O  Though I think Ima just stay out of it, honestly, and enjoy the ponies lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal