collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gauging Interest: My Little Pony Community Quilt Swap  (Read 2853 times)

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
Gauging Interest: My Little Pony Community Quilt Swap
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:23:56 AM »
In this thread about MLP Quilts http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,357734.0.html we started talking about the idea of a My Little Pony Community Quilt Swap.  The basic idea would be this:

Each participant makes a quilt square for each participant and in return receives a quilt square from every other participant.  For example, if there are 13 people in the swap, each person will make 12 squares and will receive 12 squares which they can put together to make a quilt.  The size of each square would have to be standardized so that they could all be put together to make a quilt, but other than that the design of the blocks would be up to their maker.  Each person could make a list of things they would like or dislike on their quilt blocks- some people might be okay with yarn hair on the ponies appliqued on to the quilt while others may dislike that idea, for example.  People can also post lists of their favorite ponies or things that they love about pony collecting for participants to take inspiration from in making blocks for them.

At the end of the quilt, not only would you have a beautiful quilt, you'd have a visual memory of your time on the Arena and the wonderful community here. 

This swap would require a big commitment of time and so would have a long working time.  It would also probably not be a newbie swap as the commitment would be large and we'd need proof of the prospective participant's ability to participate in swaps faithfully.  Thus a minimum selling/swap feedback would have to be set.

So, what do you all think?  Would you be interested in a swap like this? 
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging Interest: My Little Pony Community Quilt Swap
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:31:33 AM »
Yes, I'd be interested even though I am a new quilter! I have done lots of other sewing projects so I think I can handle it. ^^

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:26:51 AM »
I was thinking the very same thing. I would be interested as long as there is a lot of time to work. I wouldn't want to make (or receive) a rushed square. It could also potentially be run like the ATC swaps. One square a month. The more often you join, the more you will have for your quilt.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Uninu

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:36:13 AM »
ZennaBug, getting more squares the more often you join sounds like a great idea! Having it run like the ATC swaps could also work well. :D

Offline brighteyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:02:23 AM »
I was thinking the very same thing. I would be interested as long as there is a lot of time to work. I wouldn't want to make (or receive) a rushed square. It could also potentially be run like the ATC swaps. One square a month. The more often you join, the more you will have for your quilt.

I would definitely not want a rushed swap either.  I like the sound of the one a month idea.  I've never been in an ATC swap so I'm not sure of the mechanics of this.  Would it be like a round table?  Every month you are assigned one or two new partners to make a square for and after that month you get another set of partners?   
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline snwbear24

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:46:11 AM »
Awww that is such a cute idea!!! Even though I can't quilt... I can't wait to see the finish product!
Looking For these to complete my G4's!!  :biggrin:
Royal Gem Carriage w/ Star Swirl

Looking For these G1's to complete US collection!!
Bushwoolies- Cheery, Hugster, and Chumster

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
Hmm this is interesting to me, although I have experience with sewing quilting is new to me. Will there be some standard way or material we will have to use for our square?

I'm a little concerned on the high number of squares we would be making. If we are doing one square a month would we still be doing like 12 of them?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:00:19 AM by Maddie »
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 08:51:34 AM »

I would definitely not want a rushed swap either.  I like the sound of the one a month idea.  I've never been in an ATC swap so I'm not sure of the mechanics of this.  Would it be like a round table?  Every month you are assigned one or two new partners to make a square for and after that month you get another set of partners?   

Sort of, yes. The ATC swap has new sign ups every month and new partners. So if I was busy for one month, I might not sign up for a square that month. People could stay or go as needed and that way it would be like 12 smaller swaps instead of one massive, year-long swap. It's one idea. The whole thing would be super involved, but fun.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
This sounds kinda awesome and I'd like to hear more.  :popcorn:
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »
Quilting question in general, but can you embroider on a quilt square, or does it have to be applique?  ::needs to learn to applique::

Offline brighteyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:03:32 AM »

Sort of, yes. The ATC swap has new sign ups every month and new partners. So if I was busy for one month, I might not sign up for a square that month. People could stay or go as needed and that way it would be like 12 smaller swaps instead of one massive, year-long swap. It's one idea. The whole thing would be super involved, but fun.

Oh that sounds like a really great way to run a swap like this!  It would solve the problem of having such a big commitment in terms of time and supplies.  Is there someone who would be interesting in hosting a quilt swap?  I would like to participate or even co-host if needed, but I don't think I'd be the best choice for hosting it as I've never been in a swap with this type of format before.   

Post Merge: August 08, 2014, 10:08:40 AM

Quilting question in general, but can you embroider on a quilt square, or does it have to be applique?  ::needs to learn to applique::

I think it would be most interesting if a wide variety of techniques were allowed- including embroidery, applique and even fabric painting depending on the preferences of the participant's partner.  I think it would end up being up to each person to say what they would be okay with in a quilt square they receive.  That way people who wanted a more arty, wall-hanging type quilt could specify that and those that wanted a quilt to actually snuggle up under could note that as well. 

My mom made me a pony quilt when I was little with ponies like the collector pose appliqued on- 1 per square.  Each one then had a yarn mane and tail which I could braid.  It was so cute!  I think given the materials available in today's craft/fabric stores, we could come up with some really creative and interesting ways to make quilt squares.  I so hope this swap becomes a reality :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:09:13 AM by brighteyes »

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »
I've never quilted but I have some sewing and hand embroidery experience. Having a My Little Pony quilt and having it made by fellow arena members sounds like the most wonderful thing in the world! A month by month basis sounds good so if one month happens to be way busy a person could take a break.

Offline brighteyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »
Hmm this is interesting to me, although I have experience with sewing quilting is new to me. Will there be some standard way or material we will have to use for our square?

I'm a little concerned on the high number of squares we would be making. If we are doing one square a month would we still be doing like 12 of them?

I think how you use material would be up to your abilities and the preferences of your partner.  Just like with a custom swap, each person would give a list of likes and dislikes and you could post questions to the swap thread to find out if certain techniques would be acceptable.  If someone says they don't want any sequins or beads on their quilt square because they want their quilt to be washable/durable, then their partner would not be able to use those for that round of the swap.  But if next round you get a new partner that is okay with lots of beading because they want more of a wall hanging rather than something to put over the bed, you can use them.  I think the only thing that would be absolutely dictated would be the standard size of the square so that all the pieces could be put into a quilt at the end.  I don't think a high level of sewing would necessarily be a prereq for the swap as people could be paired accordingly, like in custom swaps. 

For example, I can quilt a bit (never tried applique but I'd like to!) and do hand embroidery, but I am terrible at cross stitch so I would not be paired with someone who was super experienced in quilting/applique or who wanted cross stitch. 

ETA:  I guess another potential rule that everyone has to follow when making their squares would be that they have to sign it (via embroidery or what have you) so their partner will always remember who made it. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:21:11 AM by brighteyes »

Sweet Tooth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
I would love to participate, but those pesky age regulations are getting in the way.  :sad:

Offline Uninu

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »
What brighteyes has said sounds good and very reasonable to me. :)

I looked at some tutorials to refresh my memory about quilting and applique basics and memories from school came rushing in  :blink: I remember making a fox using machine applique techniques and simple small quilt pieces in a lower class. I'm starting to feel somewhat confident that I can actually do this!

Here's two tutorials I found clear and helpful:
Quilting
Applique (machine)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal