collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Art Programs?  (Read 1239 times)

Reiya

• Trade Count: (0)
Art Programs?
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
I used to have Photoshop on my PC but recently switched to a Mac.  I really don't have the money to pay for Photoshop again and I don't care for GIMP.  Does anyone have any suggestions of other art programs?

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
Re: Art Programs?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »
Adobe released a version of Photoshop that's free (CS2 or CS3?) Not sure where to get it now. Older versions of Photoshop are just as good. Really the only difference is that they throw in a new filter or some other tool you'll never use and call it a new version.

I've heard good things about PaintTool SAI. It's free for 31 days and then you have to buy the full version (which is 5400 yen or about 52 bucks.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:09:34 AM »
I recently heard of FireAlpaca, though I haven't tried it yet. I've also heard lots of good about SAI.

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »
SAI is excellent, but it's just for drawing and painting while photoshop is more universal (photo editing, photo manipulation, painting, graphic design...). I'm not sure if there's mac version, though. I don't like GIMP at all, it's very confusing. I tired using FireAlpaca for a bit, but I wasn't really impressed. I have Krita installed, but haven't used it much so I can't tell, but it's definitely way better than GIMP :P
You could try this list.

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
I've used OpenCanvas for a while :) But that was a couple of years back.

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Photoshop CS2 was released for free, so grab it and run like a bandit. :)  It's an awesome version of Photoshop which works well. I've used it for ages.

As for other art programs, Inkscape is an awesome free vectoring program. Bit of a learning curve, but works well.

Manga Studio 5 is excellent as well. It's about $50, but very worth it. I use it more than Photoshop because it's MADE FOR DRAWING so all of the brush options react much better than PSCS2 in my opinion. Smooth, user friendly, and has tons of options. My favorite is the canvas rotation and zoom tools on the side bar. Very automated and you can do it in a second, unlike photoshop, making it very natural when you have to turn the canvas to make a stroke.

Offline June

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
I tried to grab the CS2, but apparently it's not actually free.  >_<
Here is an article.
You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.)

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
Well it was free for awhile along with it's serial direct from Adobe. That's how I got it, right off their own page serial and all. You can still download it, just Google Photoshop CS2 serial number and you'll find a usable serial pretty fast.

Offline June

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »
So I downloaded it from Adobe official site and the serial was provided there. Seems to be working just fine, and even with my bamboo tablet which is a relatively new model. All the presets on keys are working, unlike in Photoshop Elements which came with the tablet. Yay, thanks! :biggrin:

Reiya

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'm really excited to try some of your suggestions.  Hopefully I'll get that bamboo tablet I asked Santa for.

EDIT

Hold up, since when is Photoshop a subscription?! The last time I bought photoshop is was a one time deal and I had access to the program forever.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:39:07 PM by Reiya »

Offline June

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 02:53:21 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm really excited to try some of your suggestions.  Hopefully I'll get that bamboo tablet I asked Santa for.

EDIT

Hold up, since when is Photoshop a subscription?! The last time I bought photoshop is was a one time deal and I had access to the program forever.
I think it was this or last year. Now it's not CS, but CC (Creative Cloud). Many users were angry and there was a online petition too.

Reiya

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 11:19:55 PM »
I don't understand why they would do that.  I'd rather pay a lot at once rather than have to pay every month.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »
Yeah Adobe's move with their programs is so annoying. I am sticking with CS - no upgrades for me because I refuse to pay them a monthly subscription to access a bit of software I am paying them enough to actually own :(
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline SubmarineHallucination

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Nothing is Astuter than a computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »
I received a Mac for Christmas and I am also looking for good art programs. I love Sai, but it doesn't seem to work on Mac. Is there a way to get it on Mac with pen pressure?
Everybody needs a friend!
ISO Sweet Stuff and Honeycomb!

SoaringSentinel

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:54 AM »
For drawing/sketch programs i can recommend Sketchbook pro if you find photoshop with its overload of features intimidating.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal