collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Share a favorite childhood memory of opening/unboxing a pony :)  (Read 1619 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
I'll never forget my first G1 baby pony experience. My nanny sold toys, and my favorites were Colorforms. I thought she was planning to give me one of those for my birthday (she gave all the kids she watched birthday gifts) but I opened my gift and it was my first ever baby pony, Baby Moondancer! The box was huge. I was in awe of all the accessories she came with. I couldn't read so she read the backstory to me. I don't remember actually opening the box up but I do remember that I liked it so much I waited all afternoon to open her up and staring at the photos on the box.

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Share a favorite childhood memory of opening/unboxing a pony :)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
Awwww! That's adorable!
I remember my first pony experience. Mom came home from the store with a paper bag, and like all kids, I dug into it even though I probably wasn't supposed to. I found Glory and the Transformer Bumblebee. Mom didn't really bring home new toys for us, so this was a special surprise. I don't actually remember physically opening her, either, but I remember looking into the paper bag.
I also remember the smell of a freshly-opened pony vividly. Sometimes I'll open some random thing (towels, for example) and it will have that highly-processed plastic smell and I'll just close my eyes and smile.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
I know my first ponies came from my Nana (she was in charge of the toys in her charity shop (which she still works in now) so they were all second hand ones  ^.^ except for Baby Katie & kitty too as Mum told me she brought me that one (hoping kitty is hiding in the loft somewhere), I don't remember receiving or opening Katie though just know she was one of my first & I played with her A LOT  :lol:.

The first one I remember buying & opening was Baby Lollipop  :biggrin: I don't remember how old I was, I am guessing 4 or 5 (I have a feeling my brother was born by then so maybe 5 although not sure as it was summer so maybe just before her was born :lol:). I do remember the shop I brought it from though and the shelves.

I was with my Dad in Woolworths (UK) I think it was in the East Grinstead store (not 100% on that though :lol:) There were shelves near the counter & pic n mix & on the end of one of the row of shelves (near the pic n mix... dad loved woolys pic n mix) were the new MLP's just rows of Baby Lollipop, Candy & Liquorice (wish I had asked for all 3 now haha)as far as I remember Dad helped me choose one & we chose Lollipop because of her hair colour (still one of my favourite colours today)

Don't really remember opening her just remember buying her & playing with her. I do remember wearing her lollipop clip myself, (hoping that is with Kitty in the loft somewhere)
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
I got my first ponies for like my 6th birthday or something I don't really remember.. My grandparents bought me a whole bunch! It was already well into the 90s but they got me all the originals like peachy and snuggle etc.. I don't really remember that clearly who was in the lot because I gave nearly all of it to my best friend who liked ponies a lot more than me XD

I did keep Quackers though, I absolutely loved (and still do!) her beautiful hair. She's the only one left since I lost touch with that friend some time ago.. Sometimes I want to call her up and ask if she still has them!!!

wishlist

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »
I have a lot of vivid  memories gettiing new ponies. I remember opening Chocolate Delight int he car and it being like a scented bomb going off XD But despite growing up with the ponies and always having them in my life, my most vivid memories were of Baby Pineapple and the pearly mermaid babies. I remember picking those out myself with my own money. I h=even had saved their back cards if I only knew what happened to them...

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »
Other than fakies, the first boxed ponies I ever got were G3... I would've been nine or ten and I remember seeing a commercial for them and thinking they looked weird (I grew up playing with my sister's g1s) but one day she brought me home g3 Minty, the one with the Charming Birthday vhs and I can remember that I watched the tape two times in a row in my excitement. Minty was a big hit and I think the very next day I got Sparkleworks.

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
Yeah, unboxing those first iconic g3's were pretty special for me too- I was even in my early 20'2 by then and it was magic to me! I remember Sweetberry and Wysteria very clearly and finding the smell of the ponies very appealing

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 02:09:08 PM »
The first pony I actually opened was when I was 24 lol.

I do remember when my mom got me Dainty Dove though. She had a ton of trouble getting her out. I didn't really see much though, my mom liked to open my toys where I couldn't see. (Aka do not let this kid see the back of the box  :lol:)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:03:13 PM »
I don't really remember getting my first ponies. I was too young, though I do remember giving Windy a shower in an easter egg box when I was about three. And mostly I remember getting them, or choosing them, rather than opening them.

The earliest one I probably remember with any clarity and detail is Tropical Breeze, but again it is the act of choosing her. I don't remember taking her out of the box. I was five, probably a parent helped because of her wings.

I also remember going to see my Mum in hospital after my sister was born and Sunburst - still on his card - had been placed at the bottom of the crib. It was a present from my new sister, apparently! So I remember that, and him being there, and what he looked like. But again, I don't remember taking him off the card.

I do remember taking Cherry Treats out of her package in the car home from town and this really sickly sweet aroma filled the car. Within five seconds Dad had renamed her stink bomb. I never had any other scented ones after that, even if I put them on my list for santa ;)

Another thing I remember was at Christmas one year..maybe 91...getting the kitchen playset. I remember this because I put it together all myself with all its bits and pieces. I also remember it because there was a teeny tiny pony on her card hiding inside the box. Apparently it was a Woolworth's offer at the time, and I remember commenting to my parents about it. The pony was Little Rattles and she was the one I wanted most from the set, but it was coincidence. I had just bought Lullabye 2 days before on a trip to the theatre in Birmingham, so I was really happy to have got a different pony.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
I recall getting the party play set, lost quite a bit of it, but still have the ponies, and am getting it back together. That was the best day eve.r

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 07:22:11 PM »
I love these stories :) I don't remember specifically opening any of my ponies, but I remember finding them in stores (and other toys; it was a somewhat big deal when I got a new toy, as it was either a reward or something I'd saved up my allowance for). (I also actually remember finding ponies in thrift stores maybe more than stores, but that's not what this thread's about.) I picked sparkle Baby Firefly out at Toys 'R Us. She was a huge favorite in my younger years. I also remember picking out Li'l Honeypie -- I'm not sure which one, as I had two and called them twins. :) I loved them, too. Another happy memory is receiving movie version Firefly from my grandmother when she visited us for Thanksgiving. I watched that movie to death and loved Firefly to death.

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 03:58:39 AM »
I have many memories of getting ponies but here's my first:
I was going to the doctor and was a bit scared so mom pulled out my very first pony out of her bag. Unicorn Sparkler. I was so thrilled! She said if I behaved I would get a second pony after the visit and sure enough, after the visit she pulled out my second pony ever; Surprise.
And that's where the sweet madness began <3

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:39:25 AM »
Oooh so many cuter stories, I love these kind of threads <3 Keep them coming!!

I have wonderful memories of unpacking G1 ponies <3 I narrowed it down to one to not to take too much room here!
When I was little we lived in the countryside and my Grandmother (I called her Oma, so Ill stick to that here) lived in the city. She had no husband so my father did all the things she could not do herself and therefor often drove to the city. As we didnt have any toystore where I lived I was always thrilled to go with him and always saved my pocket money in case we would go to the store. One day he was about to go there again and I desperately wanted to go too but... I wasnt allowed. "I have stuff to take, there is no room in the car!" he said and I almost cried. Why? Because I had saved enough money for 1 pony and had hope he would go to that one store selling them. So I begged and begged him to buy one for me. Lol I vividly remember his face when I asked. "And how am I supposed to find the right one?? You already have tons!" So, I hurried to my room, pulled out my MLP pamphlet that contained all the new ponies and marked all ponies I liked with an X. The thought of being surprised which one he would pick almost thrilled me more thahn actually picking one, haha!
Well, he took it, took my money and off he went.
Oooooh my, it took half the day for him to return... (in the end it was only 2 hours lol but for a kid... ah you know what I mean). But then suddenly I heard the car and jumped !! There he was and OMG SURPRISE !!!! OMA !! Haha, that was why there wasnt any room in the car! Oma had no car so everytime she wanted to have a visit my dad drove to her home and picked her up. And with her dozens and dozens of bags and stuff AND all the stuff from the store there really would have been no room for me. And btw, Omas visit was meant to be a surprise anyway ;)
While Oma was getting of her jacket and shoes my dad gave me a plastic bag saying "Heres your pony!" :D :D Ooooh yeah, now there comes the core of the story!! Because, when I opened the bag there were TWO ponies in there!! One bought with my pocket money (It was Raincurl, still have her) and the other one (Wedding Pony) was a present from Oma <3 I was flooooooored, it was SO amazing!! I hugged them both and dashed to my room where I sat for ages staring at the two boxed / carded / packed ponies and wondering which one to unpack first <3 Im pretty sure it was Raincurl I that I saved the Bride for last <3 Such a great day!!

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »
These stories are amazing and I'm sitting here tearing up with joy ;-;!!!

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »
My favorite memories are of picking out and opening rainbow Pinwheel, opening Boysenberry Pie and her wonderful smell, and then later at Christmas getting Blueberry Baskets and Raspberry Jam to go with her and how awesome they all smelled.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal