collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm concerned for my collection  (Read 842 times)

Offline MusicCat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
I'm concerned for my collection
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:01:49 AM »
Firstly, I would like to apologize if I put this in the wrong board, I don't post much  :blush:

Anyways, a few months ago I moved my room into a larger bedroom, but left my pony collection in the old room's closet, as there is plenty of space in there, and there would be nowhere to move them too in my new room. Plus, I am a closet collector, and only a few people know I collect, and for now I'd like to keep it hidden from anyone who comes to my house. Seems okay, right?

About a month ago, my ninety-something year old great aunt who is very sick moved in with us, and with her came a caretaker to watch after her. That caretaker moved into my old room and is currently using that closet.

Today I found out she is a smoker. She only smokes outside, but I'm worried about the smell that might cling to her clothes. Do ponies pick up smoke smell very easily? Should I move my collection out of the closet? And it's not just the smell I'm worried about; I snuck in there today to check on my collection and she has laid multiple garments of clothes on my original Paradise Estate box  >_<

Am I just being overly paranoid, or are my concerns normal?

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: I'm concerned for my collection
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »
Are the ponies stored in boxes/tubs, or are they out on shelves? I would say if it's possible, you should consider moving your ponies in with you, just to be safe (could you possibly fit them in your closet, or even under the bed maybe?) Though if they are in plastic tubs I would imagine they will be okay and not pick up any smoke smell.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline MusicCat

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
Are the ponies stored in boxes/tubs, or are they out on shelves? I would say if it's possible, you should consider moving your ponies in with you, just to be safe (could you possibly fit them in your closet, or even under the bed maybe?) Though if they are in plastic tubs I would imagine they will be okay and not pick up any smoke smell.

They're all on shelves, not counting the few that are still in their original boxes. Thank you for your advice, I could probably keep them in my closet, but I'd need to find some way to store them all first.

Cherry_Sunset

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
Yes, if you don't like the smoke smell then try to find another place for them asap! Do you have any other unused storage spaces in your home?

Offline MusicCat

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:31:20 AM »
Yes, if you don't like the smoke smell then try to find another place for them asap! Do you have any other unused storage spaces in your home?

Yes, I could move them into my current closet, I just don't have anything to store them in at the moment. My dad might have some extra shelves he could give to me, but they won't hold all of them; I'll have to buy some plastic bins for them.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »
I'd be more worried about boxes getting scuffed and scratched or things falling down and getting dented. Just wondering, have you got any space under your bed? You can get nice big drawers with vented lids to put under the bed. Then you could just pull them out and they will all be there for you to enjoy. I'd be careful about storing ponies with no air flow though. Definitely not sealed in plastic. Hope it goes well...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
move them right away! smoke will permiate everything sadly.  on clothes or not.
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
I agree that moving them out of their current location seems like the best idea. Smoke smell gets into everything and is hard to get rid of. Not to mention she might damage some of your things unintentionally by laying stuff on top or knocking things over, etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
I agree unfortunately on moving them. Nicotine/tobacco is pervasive and the smell will not only linger but easily move with the person who has been smoking rather than just remain where the cigarette has been smoked. If you are not bothered by the smell and never intend to sell the ponies then perhaps its not as much of a worry - if the cigarettes are not being smoked around the pony then you dont have to worry too much about staining occurring just a smell being left.

However, for value as a collection I would unfortunately probably pack them away or relocate them somehow to the room you are now in.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
I'd move them ASAP.  There *might* be a chance since you say she doesn't smoke in the room, but there's a good chance your collection will start to stink of smoke at some point.  The fact it's on shelves with nothing to protect it or even slow down the smoke from reaching it increases the odds.   Ponies are sponges for that kind of thing.  And if the caretaker is a heavy smoker, and she ends up smoking in the room, you've got a good chance at them getting that horrid yellow/brown tinge too.  That can stain.  Once they have become infused with that smoke smell, it'll never fully go away.  You can Febreeze them all you like, stick them in baking soda, and air them out for years, and it'll still be there somewhere.  Just seal them away for a little while, and when you pull them back out, you'll be able to smell it.  I got a Transformer for my husband once that stunk of cigarette smoke.  I did everything I could think of to get rid of the smell.  I thought it worked too!  When it was on display, I couldn't smell the smoke anymore.  When we moved and I packed it away for a few months, it stunk as soon as I pulled it out of the box.  It wasn't as bad as when I first got it, but the smell was still there 15 years after I originally "fixed" the problem.

Just to give you an idea:
My friend used to work at a grocery store, and she smoked heavily.  She knew I liked a particular kind of chocolate, and she'd often pick up one or two bars for me.  She knew I had issues with her smoking, so she'd put the chocolate bars away in sealed bags, in the least smokey place in her house(usually the fridge).  I'd see her often, but if she held on to that chocolate for more than *maybe* 2 days, I couldn't eat it.  I could taste the smoke in every bite:/  She was a very heavy smoker, and chocolate has fat in it(which tends to pick up whatever odor is around), so things got bad quicker than they would with ponies.  Still, the ponies will eventually pick up the odor.  Once they do, you've got a problem.

When you do pull them out of that closet, try to air them out for a few days.  Set up a fan to circulate air around them or something.   And if you pack them away, you can stick a few of those "refrigerator boxes" of baking soda in there to hopefully soak up any smells.  Just make 100% sure that no pony comes in direct contact with the boxes as the ink will stain.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »
I would move them out! I have had a few ponies that smelled like smoke! Its gross......

Ianthe99

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 09:59:49 AM »
I would move them so she doesn't damage them. Non collectors can be careless with things.

Ayalah

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
I would move them so she doesn't damage them. Non collectors can be careless with things.

Ditto that! Even pack them away for the time being!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
I'm concerned more about the disrespect she's showing in regard to what is in essenttially not her closet...laying her clothing on a box that any sensable person would look at and know is special...you just don't do that!
Move it all out into your new bedroom. If you're uncomforrable about it, move them when noone is there and lay a blanket or something over the tubs they're in. I had a few tubs in collecge that i coveed with a table cloth and it actually looked quite nice!
Remember, though, it is her name naw, so when you want to go in just tell her you'd like to move some items out of the closet to make room for her. She'll appreciate that and it won't seem like you're making her feel bad about her smoking...you don't have to tell her the real stinky reason! :lol:

Offline ThriftyPony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Fakie Hideout - Fakie ID Guide & More
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »
I would definitely find a way to move them to your room. I suggest the under the bed idea. They have shallow plastic bins with wheels on the bottom that slide easily. Smoke smell is bad enough, let alone the fact that she is using the closet. I may be weird but that would be bothersome to me, knowing she is laying things on top of your pony stuff.

I am looking to get some type of cabinet for my ponies. I do not smoke, but my boyfriend does. He is supposed to go outside and to my knowledge does, but I worry about my ponies. Maybe that is silly, but I don't want them to yellow or get stinky so I could never sell them if needed. Also, I hate the smell of cigarettes. Just yuck.

Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal