collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Etiquette for selling other people's customs?  (Read 999 times)

AllIsLove

• Trade Count: (0)
Etiquette for selling other people's customs?
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:39:01 AM »
Hi all,
I have a few custom ponies that I bought from people on this board that I'm thinking about selling. Thing is, they were bought years ago, I have no idea what I paid for them, and so I don't know how to price them. How can I go about setting a fair price?
Also, should I make an attempt to notify the origional artist to give them a 'head's up'? I've never resold someone else's artwork, so I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Etiquette for selling other people's customs?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but if someone was to resell my work, I would be ok with it. In my mind, as soon as money and product changes hands, I not longer have any rights as to what happens to that pony. Just like people sell old stuff at yard sales, the pony is theirs now to resell if they like.

mana-maiden

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »
There's generally going to be a lot of mixed reactions to this... I used to think that I'd like to be notified prior to a reselling happening, but then decided I don't really care much. I've had some of my customs re-re-sold and I was kind of upset at first, but after the 3rd time it happened I decided not to care. I don't care about price... I got my money's worth for the time and all that I put in to it-- Oh wait, it was a gift custom... so no I did not get my money's worth, they profited off of something they got for free. I'd like to look at it as "it was re-gifted", but... whatever. I'm burnt out on it and it's not worth over-thinking. 

Yeah. There you go XD There's some raw reaction.

Just re-sell the customs, and if people get upset, that's life.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »
When someone sells/gifts an item they relinquish ownership of the item.  You have the right to resell them as you see fit.  That being said, if you know who created the work it can be a nice gesture to drop them a PM about the upcoming sale. 

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:51 AM »
I have had people resell ponies that were gifted, and they were kind enough to let me know. With a commission that they purchased, reselling without giving the artist a heads-up is fine. but if it was a swap or a gift, its generally good practice to let the artist know :)

Offline Alexia

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://easternsunsetcreations.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
I am fine with reselling my customs, but if possible I would like to be notified, there are definitely ponies out there I am kicking myself for selling and would like to buy back if the chance came up!

Offline assassin_kitty

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but if someone was to resell my work, I would be ok with it. In my mind, as soon as money and product changes hands, I not longer have any rights as to what happens to that pony. Just like people sell old stuff at yard sales, the pony is theirs now to resell if they like.

Totally agree with you there! Once it's paid for and posted it's not my property anymore! And if you are unsure on prices then I would definately try to contact the artist as they more than anyone else would have a good idea of what to price it at!

AllIsLove

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »
Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the speedy replies. Luckily none of the gals I'm looking at parting with were gifts or swap ponies (although I *think* the pirate pony I have was a swap pony prior to my buying her).

And if you are unsure on prices then I would definately try to contact the artist as they more than anyone else would have a good idea of what to price it at!
That's a great idea! Thanks! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal