collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dyeing question  (Read 2094 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
Dyeing question
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »
So...my softer bodied mlp is not taking my dye.  o.o  Any suggestions?  I've got the water hot, the pony completely submerged...now I'm thinking I might just leave her in there for a while and see what happens. 

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Dyeing question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »
Some of it depends on the pony color and the dye color.  REALLY hot water, some salt, and pony.  I had one that needed soaking for what seemed forever.  Good luck!
:socks:   :frog:

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
I went ahead and dyed it black instead of blue, cause it didn't take the blue at all, but there are some spots in the black that it didn't stick...I'm going to try a blue dye over it to see if it does anything.  xD  yay for experimentation! 

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
If there is any grease, dirt or paint left on the surface of the pony, it can make the dye job splotchy.  Best to clean them as well as possible before you try the dip! 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
well, I had made sure she was super clean before I dyed her, and I'm wondering if it is because it was the liquid instead of the powder...might be, eh?  But she took the black dye perfectly, so I might just not worry about it.  =]  yay for bait bodies ready to do something with! 

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »
Hm, maybe? o.o I've only ever tried the powdered dyes.  Glad your custom was rescued, though! 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »
The liquid dyes suck for pony bodies - different formulation. I have not had any good success with the liquid.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »
That's good to know - I haven't seen anything but the powdered/dye cake type for sale here, but I'll avoid the liquids if I ever see them!

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
The liquid dyes suck for pony bodies - different formulation. I have not had any good success with the liquid.
I'll second that. I tried buying the liquid at first because I thought it'd be a better value, but.... Nope. My ponies don't like it. But they take the dry stuff just fine!

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »
yeah that was what i was thinking.  I won't be buying the liquid again.  But, that is all good anyway.  Learning is learning, and means I now know more than i did this morning xD  So now, I need to wait til I can get another bait body good for blue dye xD

Oh, on a side note, in case anyone was wondering, the pony who wouldn't dye blue also had some spots that wouldn't take the dye right at all, so i am thinking of doing her in a tribal paint full body design.  I have another one that I need to post pics of tomorrow when i can.  =]  Not related to the dyed pony, other than came in the same box, but I am proud of her. 

here are my dyed ponies, btw:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:05:54 PM by TexasGal »

Offline JessicaAFM

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Ponies
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 04:10:03 PM »
Jumping in on this one, hope no one minds  :blush:  My Blue Belle has completely faded on her body to almost white. Just a bit of her hoofs are still blue. If I dye her to match her head (which is still the pretty original blue), I am going to have to have her stars redone? Or will they just be darker blue than the body?
~Jessica~ My Ponies

Thanks to sd_dreamcrystal for my adoptable.

Offline RevRuby

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • PonyPony
    • View Profile
    • http://revruby.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »
i would think the stars will be mostly fine, maybe a little darker, but also white doesn't dye well, at least it never has for me, i can't get them to look the way i want. either too dark, or wrong color all together. meaning that i tried dying one color but it came out a different color, not white, and not the color of the dye.

Ask me how to get a coupon to my etsy shop! it's EASY!
thank you to RobinHoodFan for my avatar!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »
The black liquid dye actually works well for me o.o I've dyed two ponies with it. I think it just depends on how you use it but then again I've not used the liquid in any other color other than black.

@TexasGal: I'd be careful with painting over dye with certain colors. Dye does bleed through paint after it's sealed, so if you do white paint watch out!
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

creampuf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 06:22:55 AM »
The hoof didn't dye because of the glue around it. glue repeals dye and can be a real pain. Which is why I always do an acetone wash and remove the hoof magnet. This way you don't get spots around the neck or hoof.

Also some pony bodies will not take dye well, it's a flaw in the composition of the plastics, there is no fix for that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal