collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lauren Faust ft. Mane6 makes new fighting game  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Lauren Faust ft. Mane6 makes new fighting game
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »
After who knows how many years Lauren and the crew that made the infamous Cease&Desisted game, Fighting is Magic, Mane6 finally reappeared, and apparently they were not lieing just to calm a raging fandom.

The game is named Them Fighting Herds (or something), and so far all we know is that it will have 'cute animals fighting'.

Okay, let me tell you my point on this first, I am not hyped one bit about it.  Not only because it reeks from brony bait (and sadly a successful one at that as bronies are already wanting to throw their money into it because 'Faust! Mane6!') but mainly due to it being most likely made in the Skullgirls engine the Mane6 got from the Skullgirls team. This means it will impossible for commoneers to mod the game, unlike with Fighter Maker 2000. I have the nagging feeling it will be yet another 'keyboard basher' like Fighting is Magic was, which is getting fairly boring and mediocre by now.

But who knows, from this little info given, it can turn out any way.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:51:47 AM by Lore-Lei »

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
Re: Lauren Faust ft. Mane6 makes new fighting game
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
I thought I might have been interested in Fighting is Magic at first seeing as I like games like Super Smash Bros., but then I stopped and thought "Wait, where is the appeal in MLP characters fighting each other?" It's just so not what MLP is about that I can't even think of enjoying the concept of it.

But sorry, I don't mean to make this about Fighting is Magic, since it's not that anymore, I guess.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »
Doesn't sound at all appealing.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
Hasbro sent the C&D, not the show crew.  Which is understandable, given the themes of the show.

Too bad they didn't make an adventure RPG instead, that would fit with MLP much better.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:30:52 AM »
Its not something id be interested in..or give more then a seconds glance at.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
I don't care for brony hype, and fighting games never particularly struck my fancy. (and also seemed really ill fitting for mlp but that's another issue)
but I love
love love the reINDEER WITH LIGHT UP ANTLERS
ITS SO CUTE
SO PRECIOUS
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 04:57:48 PM »
Quite frankly, I'm very excited for this game. I expected this to be a bit more positive when I stepped into the thread but everyone has their opinions. But here's why I'm actually very excited to see this game!

Them's Fightin' Herds looks to be very promising, and I commend Faust for stepping in and helping Mane 6 complete the game. I think you should really treat it as a separate game at this point. It may be a fighting game, but it is not Fighting is Magic any more.

Fighting games, love em or hate em, are still a very important genre. Think of all the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games we have! Marvel vs Capcom, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and even other fan games like Godzilla: Daikaiju Battle Royal as well. I completely understand why these types of games don't appeal to most on this forum, they don't even appeal to me really (because, you really just can't 'button mash', that's not how these games are meant to be played. Movesets exist for a reason, and I don't want to take time to learn the combos. I've gotten my butt kicked many a time during a game by just mashing. While it may work for some games, or you just get lucky, it still isn't preferred). That doesn't make these games any less valid for what they are.

As for 'brony bait', well, they have to crowdfund the game don't they? Faust is still and artist outside of FIM, and Mane6 are still game developers. There's no reason bronies shouldn't enjoy their work just because this is no longer pony related. You say that like they're mindless drones, bronies are people and if they like the idea of the game and want to fund it there's no reason for them not to. I'd like to help fund it as well. It may not be my 'type' of game but I'm still super excited for it's release and all the work they've put into it, even before the C&D.

I have no comment on modding. I rarely mod games anyway, and I don't really see a need to mod a fighting game in the first place? But I don't play them enough to see a reason for it.

I love Laurens designs for the new characters. I've happily reblogged any update videos I've seen of the game. I don't mind that they're 'cute', the cute but tough aspect really appeals to me. Have to agree with gold here, those reindeer are adorable!

So while it's not everyone's cup of tea, these are the reasons why I love them game and still think it deserves to be supported.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »
Quite frankly, I'm very excited for this game. I expected this to be a bit more positive when I stepped into the thread but everyone has their opinions. But here's why I'm actually very excited to see this game!

Them's Fightin' Herds looks to be very promising, and I commend Faust for stepping in and helping Mane 6 complete the game. I think you should really treat it as a separate game at this point. It may be a fighting game, but it is not Fighting is Magic any more.

Fighting games, love em or hate em, are still a very important genre. Think of all the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games we have! Marvel vs Capcom, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and even other fan games like Godzilla: Daikaiju Battle Royal as well. I completely understand why these types of games don't appeal to most on this forum, they don't even appeal to me really (because, you really just can't 'button mash', that's not how these games are meant to be played. Movesets exist for a reason, and I don't want to take time to learn the combos. I've gotten my butt kicked many a time during a game by just mashing. While it may work for some games, or you just get lucky, it still isn't preferred). That doesn't make these games any less valid for what they are.

As for 'brony bait', well, they have to crowdfund the game don't they? Faust is still and artist outside of FIM, and Mane6 are still game developers. There's no reason bronies shouldn't enjoy their work just because this is no longer pony related. You say that like they're mindless drones, bronies are people and if they like the idea of the game and want to fund it there's no reason for them not to. I'd like to help fund it as well. It may not be my 'type' of game but I'm still super excited for it's release and all the work they've put into it, even before the C&D.

I have no comment on modding. I rarely mod games anyway, and I don't really see a need to mod a fighting game in the first place? But I don't play them enough to see a reason for it.

I love Laurens designs for the new characters. I've happily reblogged any update videos I've seen of the game. I don't mind that they're 'cute', the cute but tough aspect really appeals to me. Have to agree with gold here, those reindeer are adorable!

So while it's not everyone's cup of tea, these are the reasons why I love them game and still think it deserves to be supported.

Oh yes. I agree completely with what you've said here!
 I should have cleared up what I meant by Brony hype was more of the.. drama parts that seem to happen on that side of the fandom, as they tend to get out of hand. I feel some of that is still lingering with the project? Even if the game team themselves aren't upset anymore, in the local brony group here you can't even bring it up with out someone getting angry.

However the game is its own thing now, and that's pretty cool! The animations look great so far, and the characters are so cute!

I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
I'm not much for fighting games (too much memorization and too many inputs), but I may take a look at it. I was a little disappointed when the original game was cancelled, since I was interested.

I don't see why people are against the idea of a fighting game with children's characters, it's not too far off from what Super Smash Brothers is.

Although LadyMoondancer brought up a good point that FiM is much better suited to an RPG.

Offline Lore-Lei

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 06:25:39 AM »
All we know is that it's going to have cute hoofed animals fighting, and even then we only know three of them. At the moment it doesn't look like anything, really. For me, at least.

And yes, I am treating it as a seperate game, however bear in mind that the same people are making it. Have you played Ubisoft games? They are pretty notorious for putting in some sort 'climb a radio tower' into most of their games (Assasins' Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, even The Crew, which is a racing game)... and having most their games feel like they're early Beta state but that's mostly due to impossible deadlines. It's not far fetched to assume Mane6 might carry on their little shticks and habits from their previous game into this new one.

I completely understand why these types of games don't appeal to most on this forum, they don't even appeal to me really (because, you really just can't 'button mash', that's not how these games are meant to be played. Movesets exist for a reason, and I don't want to take time to learn the combos. I've gotten my butt kicked many a time during a game by just mashing. While it may work for some games, or you just get lucky, it still isn't preferred).
When saying 'keyboard-crasher' I meant the game being heavily combo based to make you do some acceptable amount of damage. And this is the exact thing I'm worried about, really, that the crew might redo the exact same Ground->Launcher->Air->Ground->dadada repititive combo system, or worse, they'd make the game just plain feel the same as Fighting is Magic just with a sprite swap and some extra effects.

As for 'brony bait', well, they have to crowdfund the game don't they? Faust is still and artist outside of FIM, and Mane6 are still game developers. There's no reason bronies shouldn't enjoy their work just because this is no longer pony related. You say that like they're mindless drones
Nuh-uh, I'm saying that they jump into conclusions that the game is going to be epic and awesome and that they want to throw their money at them even though pretty much nothing is revealed at this point, not even gameplay footage. Why? Simply because Faust and a well-known crew is working on it.

I admit, the term 'brony-bait' might have been a bit harsh considering they can't help that they have this many followers, but I'm unimpressed that the fandom still sinks money into things without looking, and then act fed-up when they were given something not worthy the costs, or worse, were scammed. Yeah, looking at you, Brony Documentary and DarkSkyes.

Okay, I'm not saying 'Faust is going to rob the fandom' but I am saying that the possibility of the game being mediocre/glitch ridden/unbalanced when coming out or just simply coming out extremely late is there.

In short, I don't support the idea of investing into something you don't know much of. However, I do keep an eye out for TFHs and remain sceptic about until it comes up with a good reason for me to fund... which is not two names in the credits section.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 06:31:22 AM by Lore-Lei »

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
It feels wrong to say this, but there's something....not right to me about Lauren working with them
Surely I can't be the only one who feels that way?
I don't know, it feels really unprofessional and out of all the things she could have endorsed she chose that. I feel like it would be way cooler if she helped bring a little girl's creation to life rather than get more gold stars from the brony fandom.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 10:00:56 AM »
I didnt even know bronies still cared about the game.
I know when EqD had posted a story about the game after they got shut down by Hasbro, people/bronies in the comments basically had this "No ponies? No MLP characters? Don't care!" attitude. Not gonna lie, that (their reactions to it) actually bothered me for various reasons.  :mad:
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Lore-Lei

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »
I know when EqD had posted a story about the game after they got shut down by Hasbro, people/bronies in the comments basically had this "No ponies? No MLP characters? Don't care!" attitude.
Up until suddenly Lauren Faust showed up, may I add. You know... because the mighty alicorn goddess Queen Faust can't do anything that's not 'the best thing ever'.

It feels wrong to say this, but there's something....not right to me about Lauren working with them
Surely I can't be the only one who feels that way?
I don't know, it feels really unprofessional and out of all the things she could have endorsed she chose that. I feel like it would be way cooler if she helped bring a little girl's creation to life rather than get more gold stars from the brony fandom.
I don't think she (mainly) does that for extra brony points but rather because she was inspired by Fighting is Magic. Of course, that might be just a faux excuse but for me, her enthusiasm seemed pretty legit the moment she was shown the original game.
As for it being unprofessional... I wouldn't say that either, there's no need for the 'black-tie businessman' attitude. So long you don't fanservice them too much and keep any influence from them leaking into the production, I'm fine with some casual fan-staff interaction.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:14:05 AM by Lore-Lei »

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
Id look at it this way.

Does it interest you? Is there enough for you (keyword here) to warrant getting the game?  That means, from what you have seen.  Are you legitly interested? 

if so, no one has any reason to poke you from wanting to get the game--even if its not your cup of tea, you feel things will be 'robbed' or the game may end up with glitches or feel unfinished.

Its their money--they, the person that is interested can do what they want.  That means voice an opinion if, infact, its not up to par or standards once its released :)

For me, personally--im not interested. I don't care if Lauran Faust or the Queen of England is working on it. Its not my cup of tea.  That's my opinion :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:12:37 AM by melodys_angel »

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
Too bad they didn't make an adventure RPG instead, that would fit with MLP much better.

I SO Agree!!!!!!  Like a Zelda type adventure.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal