collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do Kids Like Monster High?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Do Kids Like Monster High?
« on: April 05, 2013, 05:05:38 AM »
I was wondering the other day, whether Monster High is more a toyline that is popular with adult collectros or do kids like and play with MH dolls? I have no idea. It seems that here in Finland rare dolls like Scaris Deuce sig Jackson ajs the re release signatures can be found quite easily. So that makes me wonder, do kids buy MH or not, or do parents buy MH for their kids?

Here Barbie is supreme, with Bratz as a close second, but I don't know how MH ranks in popularity. It was very popular just before Christmas and it was sold out everywhere.

So any thoughts? Or facts?

JustHereForPictures

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Do Kids Like Monster High?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:33:03 AM »
I know that the dolls seem quite popular over here, although I have not personally witnessed kids buying them.

It seems to be hit and miss about when we get what and how long they stick around for though.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »
Monster High is the second most popular brand of dolls "world-wide" (that mostly means Mattel's target countries). They're only second to Barbie, so there is basically no true competition to them right now.

I know plenty of kids (mostly girls) who love Monster High and ask their parents to buy them the dolls, but also the merchandise. While shopping I have often seen little girls making googly eyes at new releases or exclaim "look! Monster High! So cool!"
But sometimes the parents refuse to buy it for them because it is "ugly" or "too cruel" for them. Most of the time these parents then go on to buy some sort of monster man with weapons for arms for their little boys :P
I guess some people are still not used to the fact that girls are interested in monsters as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if MH would one day even kick Barbie off her throne.
The brand has lots of potential.

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:46:02 AM »
Oh yes, kids love them.  When I go to look at dolls, I always see kids ogling them and/or throwing a tantrum because they can't have one.  I have a friend with two little girls who are crazy about Monster High, as well.

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:57:44 AM »
I don't have kids the right age, well, no kids yet and all my friends kids are too small. Although my friend, who also collects, daughter age two seems to be really taken with them.

I like the idea of monsters for girls and the message that Mh has, which may or may not get buried all the fashion things, is be your freaky self. I really love that. Usually I prefer that toys don't have messages of any sort, but I like how MH is attempting to profile itself as an include all, no matter what they are like, because we are all different.

I haven't seen kids buy MH, but I don't often see kids in toystores. maybe I'm in them at the wrong time, too late in the evening or too early in the morning, who knows.

I have to add to this, since I have only no been browsing the Power Ghouls, that I absolutely love the idea. I wasn't all that interested at first. Now I realize how fantastic it is!

Superheroes for girls, who are capable and identifiable and not just damsels in distress or sexbunnies to be oogled at. I read a lot of comic books, have since I was very small and I was often miffed that the girls seemed to be short handed in most things. Super suit, powers and plot lines. There were exceptions of course, lie the Dark Phoenix Saga, oh so very cool! Phoenix herself and her evolution into the evil Dark Phoenix, Kitty Pryde and storm. I don't know anything about DC as the only character I care about from them is Batman.

I was also miffed that when we got superhero toys they were always men... No women. Now we have the Power Ghouls and I am pretty exited about them now that I really wrap my head around the concept. I might add them to my wants, because well, superheroes and I looove superheroes!

I went a bit off topic there sorry  :blush:

Offline SALTY5621

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Tastes good in your mouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 05:59:19 AM »
all my little (girl) cousins buy and play with Monster High. the collectors community is rather small here. but yes, they are popular

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
My daughter LOVES them she owns a good few:) although she is now getting to a age where she now calls them her collection rather than her toys lol she is 10 x x

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 06:53:46 AM »
I have to add to this, since I have only no been browsing the Power Ghouls, that I absolutely love the idea. I wasn't all that interested at first. Now I realize how fantastic it is!

Superheroes for girls, who are capable and identifiable and not just damsels in distress or sexbunnies to be oogled at. I read a lot of comic books, have since I was very small and I was often miffed that the girls seemed to be short handed in most things. Super suit, powers and plot lines. There were exceptions of course, lie the Dark Phoenix Saga, oh so very cool! Phoenix herself and her evolution into the evil Dark Phoenix, Kitty Pryde and storm. I don't know anything about DC as the only character I care about from them is Batman.

I was also miffed that when we got superhero toys they were always men... No women. Now we have the Power Ghouls and I am pretty exited about them now that I really wrap my head around the concept. I might add them to my wants, because well, superheroes and I looove superheroes!

I'm not big on superheroes (the only thing I love are Watchmen and Harley&Ivy), but I have to fully agree with you.
Even though we live in the year 2013, girls get shut out everywhere to not taint the holy boy clubs. I think the comic and toy industry are the worst offenders when it comes to the exclusion of little girls.
That's why I instantly adored the idea of Power Ghouls.

And the callbacks to already established female heroes in form of their outfits is a brilliant idea to combine the fashion theme with the superhero theme :)

Even though there's still much to be criticized about MH (their killer heels are my biggest problem), Mattel goes into a good direction with this brand.
And the adult fanbase will keep the thing going for at least a few more years. Maybe they'll one day start to make collector MHs like the different Barbie lines for adult collectors. Age the characters up a bit and bam! Money, money, money ;)

Shahaila

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 06:59:23 AM »
I actually fell in love with the MH dolls while trying to get an item of the X-mas wishlist of two little girls (grandaughters of one of my closest friends) we are very close to (both their lists were primarily MH dolls LOL).  Being the nerd I am I researched a bit about the dolls and the message they send, and ended up really impressed with the concept and the message.  I got each little girl 2 dolls, a fashion pack and one of the novels.  That was 2 years ago.  Both girls talk about not only thier dolls but the ones their friends have so yeah kids love and play with them where I am :lol:

Pony_Mommy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
The only young girl I know is my friend's daughter, she has every release of every character. (Her father collects lots of stuff and is a completionist) She loves them. I have been getting her MH dolls since before I started collecting.

Melissa

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 07:20:06 AM »
Usually when I am in the Monster High aisle, I will have to move over to let a little girl look. My next door neighbors have an 8-year-old girl, and the last time she was at my house she said to me "You're so lucky you have Monster High, my mom won't let me have any." I don't know if it's because she already collects Lalaloopsy or because her mother disapproves of the dolls, but I told her that if it's okay with her mother she can play with my monsters.

StormyRavenNeko

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »
My niece who is going on 10 absolutely adores Monster High as well as her sister who is going on 5. I love it when the 10 year old comes over because it's something we can bond over and since I have a huge collection of loose dolls we play with the few she selected to bring with and what I have. :) From what I understand her daddy spoils her with the new dollies when she gets good grades - which happens a lot since she's soooo smart. :3 I love the message Monster High sends to girls about accepting not only your own flaws but others flaws as well. There were quite a few times where I or my husband were shopping for Monster High in stores and we've been asked by parents on where to locate a certain doll because they noticed us shopping the section as well, or even noticed parents with their kids in tow & Monster High in their shopping carts. Monster High is now a very hot commodity in my area - barely stays stocked at the stores, so far we haven't found any re-sellers in our area - my husband is usally out at the stores extr early trying to find me new releases.

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:51 AM »
I'm with Melissa, I usually am crowded by little girls in the aisle, In fact I was in the aisle the other day and a lil girl was singing the theme song for all to hear as she oggled all the dolls "Monster Monster High Monster Monster High"! she exclaimed and then proceeded to pick up each doll and was like "here's Cleo" , "oh and they have Spectra" . It was really adorable, even though I wasn't in a good mood, it made me smile, I quickly grabbed what I wanted and got out of her way though, she was in the zone man! :lol:

Shahaila

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 07:24:54 AM »
StormyRaven I agree with the dolls helping one bond with kids.  I do not have children but my friends do and so they are usually around when we get together.  The dolls has been a real bonding spot with me and the girls.  On my recent b-day I got several dolls and my friend's daughter was really wanting me to open them, so in the end I let her help me debox them and asked her to re-dress the ones that needed re-dressing and it just made her beam.  Yes she is one of the girls I MH shop for regularly LOL.

elonni

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:42:10 AM »

I do see kids occasionally ogling them at the stores, generally with mother in tow saying "put it on your Christmas/birthday list and we'll see". I don't actually know what parents in general think of MH. Some apparently complain that the dolls look too sexy for kids. I, as a mother of a little girl who is still too young to fully enjoy the dolls (though she already likes mine :)), like the fact that they promote that being different is cool. I also love how MH includes sports and superhero lines along with party dresses and swimwear.

Me too! I remember when I collected G.I.Joes as a kid, how happy I was when they released the first female G.I.Joe (Scarlet, if I can recall) in Brazil. When I got her, I was a bit disappointed, however, because she looked so manly!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal