collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: POUNDS FOR PONIES - We are on our way! Sign-ups closed.  (Read 65683 times)

Offline psyknife

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.personalfitnessathome.com
POUNDS FOR PONIES - We are on our way! Sign-ups closed.
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:00:52 AM »
Hey, all!  So, I didn't participate in past Pounds for Ponies, so I'm not sure how they were run... so, I'm creating my own format!  If a former Pounds for Ponies organizer is around, I'd love for you to join me in leading this!  Otherwise, I'll be good to go, so it's all good.
I'm open for suggestions from things you liked from past Pounds for Ponies that you'd like to see here, since I'm flyin' blind!

WHAT IS POUNDS FOR PONIES?

This is a fun weight loss journey that rewards your efforts with something else that you love... PONIES!  I say "journey" and not "competition" because, in my eyes, weight loss is not a competition and should not be viewed that way... ever (sorry "Biggest Loser")!  You are in this for YOU, and no one else.  So don't worry about what everyone else is doing, worry about what you are doing and let others inspire you to do more for yourself!

HOW DOES IT WORK?

YOU set your goal.  Below you'll find the info I ask for BEFORE we start... and then you'll record your AFTERS as well.

HOW DO I GET PONIES?
Rather than make prizes for whomever loses the most, etc., I'm going to say... you reach your goal, you get a prize!  I have a lot of G1's in need of homes, and I want to give these ponies away to our winners!  As we go along, I'll reveal what ponies I have.  Once we reach the end of this current journey, all who have accomplished their goal will be put into a hat and names drawn at random... that will be the order of who gets to pick their prize first.  Sound fair?

HOW DO I START?

Reply to this thread and include:  Age: Height: Weight:  Measurements using tape measure -  Chest: Waist: Hips:  GOALS 1.) What is your goal weight? 2.) What are your goal inches? 3.) What habits do you want to break? 4.) What habits do you want to develop?  PLAN 1.) What program will you be following (this is important, you need a PLAN for success, so be detailed)?  This includes how many days per week you are exercising... how many minutes/hour(s) you are exercising that day... WHAT type of exercising you are doing... etc. 2.) What steps are you going to take to improve your nutrition?WHYWhat are your reasons for wanting to get into better shape and play with us in this journey?

THINGS TO PONDER

Yes, it's a lot of information to ask, but I find that in order to have success, you need to get detailed... you can't just throw wishes to the wind or make general goals... you need to be specific.  I may offer suggestions during this challenge to help you reach your goals, if I feel that your goals and your plan doing quite mesh.  You may be challenged to try something new... step outside the box.  I want to help you!If you have any medical conditions or are on prescription medications, definitely consult with your doctor on the types of activities and activity intensity you are allowed to do given your circumstances...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

UPDATES!

Giving yourself points:
1 point for doing your schedule workout each day.
1 point for doing your planned healthy nutrition each day.

It's up to YOU to track your points and be HONEST and fair to your fellow challengers!  No naughty ponies! :-)

WE ARE GOING UNTIL MONDAY, APRIL 30th! :)

SEE THE BOTTOM OF THIS FIRST POST FOR THE FIRST PRIZE PICTURES....

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

WHO IS PSYKNIFE?
Besides being a life long pony lover and collector, I'm also a certified personal trainer (ACE) and group fitness instructor (AFAA)... so, it's my job to help people succeed.  I'm doing this for fun!  Feel free to ask me questions!

DO YOU SUGGEST ANY TYPES OF EXERCISE?

The BEST exercise is the one you will stick with.  Find something that you enjoy doing so that you look forward to it and don't dread it.It's recommended that for a well-rounded regime that you include cardio, strength and flexibility... and this needn't be all on the same day.

Example weekly routine:
MONDAY: 45 minutes of cardio + 10 minutes of stretching
TUESDAY: 45 minutes total body strength training + 10 minutes of stretching
WEDNESDAY: same as Monday
Thursday: same as Tuesday
Friday: 45+ minutes of stretching or yoga
Saturday: Cardio or strength
Sunday: rest

Depending on your current fitness level your exercise time may be more or less.  If you are NEW to exercise, I'd say start by shooting for 20-30 minutes for the first few weeks, and then bump up to 45 minutes.  If you are already active, go for 45 mins-1hour at a time of exercise :-)If you need help, let me know... like, if you belong to a gym that has group fitness classes and you want to figure out a weekly regime using those, let me know!
Also, if you work out at home, I'm a HUGE supporter of Beachbody programs, as that's how I lost weight and got into shape and even got into fitness.  So, if that's the route you want to take, I'd love for you to check out my website at http://www.personalfitnessathome.com I am a distributor of Beachbody exercise programs and nutritional products, so pony support is always loved if that's your choice of route... it's by no means required for this challenge.  I just want YOU to enjoy what you do and find success... I only ask for the website visit if you want a Beachbody program :-)

SO, WHO'S WITH ME!??????

Post Merge: January 21, 2012, 10:11:14 AM

I'll start!

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 163

Measurements using tape measure -
Chest: 35.5"
Waist: 30"
Hips: 42"

GOALS
1.) What is your goal weight?
I would love to get back to between 145-150, as I was a happy camper there!
2.) What are your goal inches?
Focusing on 38-39" hips and 28" waist.
3.) What habits do you want to break?
I need to go back to my habit of smaller meals more often and not eat so much in one sitting.
4.) What habits do you want to develop?
Mooooooore veggies, and much more protein... I'm not so good at the protein intake.

PLAN
1.) What program will you be following (this is important, you need a PLAN for success, so be detailed)?  This includes how many days per week you are exercising... how many minutes/hour(s) you are exercising that day... WHAT type of exercising you are doing... etc.
I'm following the P90X2 program... it's 5 days per week of exercise, and then I also teach Turbo Kick and Yoga on a 6th day... one day of rest per week.  It's approx. 1 hour of exercise each of those 6 days for me.

2.) What steps are you going to take to improve your nutrition?
I drink Shakeology every day to make sure my nutrients are there.  I'm preparing more meals ahead of time and focusing on lean meats and veggies.  I'm keeping ANY sugary snacks out of my house... no cookies, not even sugary cereal.  Same with anything that is any type of chips... I KNOW I'll gorge if they are in my house, so I don't keep them here.  When I go out to eat, I make sure to focus on dishes that are lean meats and vegetables.

WHY
What are your reasons for wanting to get into better shape and play with us in this journey?
My biggest reason is that I've been at my goal before... and then I went on Accutane, causing severe joints/muscle pain.. once that went away I started to hit the exercise up again, and THEN I got hit with MONO!  After mono I worked out good for 3 months and got my fitness level back up (no weight loss really) and now, NOW I've had an ear infection for 2 weeks!  So, things keep hitting me in the butt, and I MISS how machine-like my body used to be.  There are lots of activities I want to do that I need my strength and endurance back up to do.
Besides that, I don't ever want to have to worry about developing chronic diseases that are preventable.  I have control, and I plan on keeping my hands on the reigns so that I don't end up sick because of something that was my own doing.  I need to be healthy so that I'll be in great shape to take care of my parents when they need me.  On top of that, should I ever have kids, I want to be a good influence on them.

CONGRATS PARTICIPANTS:
Skeen
sabathamk
ZennaBug
megt19
mlp4me
Eviecorn
hlbmlp
DrMowinckel
SurfStar
Kimmorz
PonyTails
Gypsy_Nights
angelponies
xkelpiex
Crowning_Glory13
Teagan_Louise
EmberBright
ladybrooklyn

PRIZES!
Winners will get to choose their prize.  TOP POINTS gets first choice.  Here's a peak of some of the prizes!  The MIB twins, in my opinion, are tops.  There will also be some individually listed ponies as prizes AND some blind pony grab bags for winners!

(pardon for some of these girls not being cleaned/groomed before photos)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:57:59 AM by psyknife »
Personal Fitness At Home ~ Home Fitness Programs To Help You Succeed

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: POUNDS FOR PONIES - Let's get ready for Spring/Summer!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »
This sounds fun!!! I wish you and everyone else who joins the best of luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Monsterelli

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »
This is a wonderful idea, best of luck to everyone who joins! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline psyknife

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
So far, I don't know where my Pounds for Ponies participants are! :-O

Who's IN?

I know it's not the easiest thing, but it's SO WORTH IT to start taking care of your body! :-)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
I may enter  :)  I'm not overweight at all, but I haven't been eating as well as I should and an old injury has made exercise hard... but I've been thinking about yoga or something.  I'm about 145 these days and I'd love to get back down to 125....

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
Goodluck guys!

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

megt19

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »
Hmmmmm...... I might be interested.... I have just started a 'weight loss journey' since new year, so I am actually in my 4th week now, so far so good.
Should I detail what I've already achieved this year or start from now? I still have a long way to go........ :(

Offline Talismarr

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:17:19 AM »
I'll give it some thought too. I would really like to tone up and lose some inches this year, as well as just eat healthier and get into some sort of exercise routine. Having people to be accountable to would probably help a lot! Even just through the forums.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:32:49 AM »
I'll do it!!  I have to go take my measurements first though.  I haven't done that in years!

EDIT:  Can I go ahead and fill in the form and do measurements when I get home?

Height: 5'1"
Weight: 146.2

Chest:
Waist:
Hips:

GOALS
Eventually about 130 but I'd take 140 right now!  I tend to set smaller goals and then I'm more rewarded-feeling when I realize I've met SO MANY small goals that have equalled one BIG goal.
No idea right now.  Chest is at least 36" though.
I want to quit eating mindlessly, or when I'm bored.
I need to get in healthy oils and more dairy.  I'm good in the fruit/veggie, whole grains and lean meats departments.

PLAN
1.) What program will you be following (this is important, you need a PLAN for success, so be detailed)?  This includes how many days per week you are exercising... how many minutes/hour(s) you are exercising that day... WHAT type of exercising you are doing... etc.
I'm on Weight Watchers.  For exercise I do very little, but I do a core strenghtening DVD a few times a week for 30 minutes (beginner time, but I do the advanced moves).  Mostly I want to do toning and/or yoga.

I already prepare all my meals in advance but I need to plan my snacks better.  I usually reach for fruit but I LOVE chocolate and I need to limit my intake a bit more.  I have switched to whole grains and lean meats already.  I need to improve my dairy but I can easily incorporate it if I eat it as a snack instead of with a meal.

WHY
What are your reasons for wanting to get into better shape and play with us in this journey?

I'm terrified of getting diabetes or other health-related problems, especially if there was something I could have done all along to prevent them!  And, I'm tired of being the fat girl.  I'm tired of seeing pictures of me and being embarrassed by them.  I want to feel better about myself and the way I look.  I want to turn heads because I'm hot, not because I'm fat. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:01:50 PM by Skeen »

harvestmgirl

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »
I'd like to participate though I'll have to fill out my form later when I'm not on my phone.

Offline sabathamk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sabrinas-space.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
I think I'll participate... I really need to get off my butt and do something again.  I hit my mark back in June last year, but now I'm not where I want to be anymore... mainly because I know I can do better.  I've lost a lot of the good healthy things I was doing.

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 62kgs (um... 137lbs I believe)

Chest: 33"
Waist: 29" (34 over belly button)
Hips: 40"

GOALS
I actually think I'm at a good weight right now, but 135 is my main goal...
I want my waist back down to 28, my hips to 39 (I don't think I've ever been less than that... I have good childbearing hips, haha).  My chest... well, I'd like one, haha.
Doing nothing.  Eating too much sugar.   I am a sugar addict.
I want to drink more water again.  Back up to 6 cups a day instead of the 3 I'm doing now.
I want to have healthy snacks, and get back into making different, healthy meals instead of preparing the same things all the time because 'it's easier'.

PLAN

Ok, I have the 30day shred dvd... which I did a year ago, and then quit.  Yeah... just quit... I've lost all the muscle.  So, I want to do those workouts (mix them up a bit... instead of level one for 10 days, level 2... you get the idea) every day mon-fri.  I want to use my step counter to actively get 7000 steps a day each day as well.  So, that would be 25minutes doing the workout video during weekdays, plus however much jogging/walking time to get to 7000 steps (I think I do about 100-120 steps per minute, so about another 1/2 hour in addition to normal workout and regular walking to get to the 7000 mark).  Man... am I going to be able to do this?  Saturdays are usually really busy otherwise, and we usually do a lot of family activities, so I'll just keep weekends open.

Edit:  Weekly Plan
 Monday- 1/2 hour walk, plus one of the 30day shred workouts
 Tuesday- 1/2 hour walk, plus 30 day shred workout
 Wednesday - 1/2 hour walk, plus 30 day shred workout
 Thursday - 1/2 hour walk, plus 30 day shred workout
 Friday - 1/2 hour walk, plus 30 day shred workout
 Saturday - Go for a walk, preferrably outside, 1/2hour (unless weather prohibits)
              - also attempt another form of activity (swim, dance) for 1/2 hour to 1 hour
 Sunday - rest
Note:  I may tire of the 30day shred workout (vids do that to me) and I also have Turbo Jam which I haven't popped in... for years?  I may switch it up.  Both vids have 20min workouts, and Turbo Jam also has a strength training 40 min workout.  If I choose to switch it up one day, it would probably be wednesday, and would consist of an hour on the turbo jam video.

I want to reduce the amount of bread and pasta consumed in my home.  I wish to use more rice/other whole grains (real whole grains, not flours made from whole grains) in my home, as when I did that a year ago, I noticed it made a big difference in every area.  Although... sigh... not easy.  Perhaps cut down to two pasta meals per week, and one slice of bread per day, over the course of a few weeks.  I want to add more veggies... and different ones... in our meals.  Things like leeks, greens, etc.  I've cut out a number of processed foods, and I want to go further with it.  For example, instead of using canned beans in our meals, I wish to actually buy dried beans and cook them myself to use.  Maybe I'll be successfull this time.  Ooh... and I want to start us making green smoothies instead of milkshakes to go with our 'pizza movie night'. 

WHY

Honestly, I need a goal, and I haven't been making one.  I've had a major lack of motivation.  I just want to feel good.  My tummy is my main point of disdain as it is not (nor will it ever be) the same as it was before I had kids... and the jiggly-ness of it drives me insane.  Plus... my digestive system has never been that great, and after a cleanse I did a year ago I had so much energy and felt so good, and now that is gone, and I want it back, haha.

ok... now looking at this, I think I just need a better body image.  I am not that far from the goal I set and reached last year... only an inch here and there, and I'm not sure why it seems so much worse to me than that.  That said, I do want to clean up my act again anyway... and I want to get the muscle tone back. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:52:39 PM by sabathamk »

Thanks to Cardinal Melody\'s pony maker!
wishlist/adoptables

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
Ok, I'm in.  I'll have to take my measurements later, I can't find my tape measure.

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 143 (on average, I fluctuate between 139 and 145)

Measurements using tape measure:
Chest:  35"
Waist: 30"
Hips:  40"

GOALS
Realistically, I would like to get back down to 130.  125 would be even better.
I'd like to get down to 37" in the hips and lose a few inches off the belly too.
I need to stop letting my husband's meal choices influence mine.  So when he eats junk, I am going to try to grab something healthy instead.
More fruits and veggies!  Plus, actually remembering to take my multivitamin.  And I want  get back into the habit of working out.

PLAN
I already walk the dogs every day, so I will continue to do that.  I'm going to start with a minimum of 30 mins of cardio on an exercise bike, followed by 4 reps of 15 on my gym's weight machines.  I'll do this 4x a week, increasing the frequency and intensity as I get stronger.  I'm also going to start stretching daily.

Monday:  Stretch, walk dogs
Tuesday:  Stretch, walk dogs, go to gym (see above workout plan), stretch
Wednesday:  Stretch, walk dogs
Thursday:  Stretch, walk dogs, go to gym (see above workout plan), stretch
Friday:  Stretch, walk dogs
Saturday:  Stretch, walk dogs, go to gym (see above workout plan), stretch
Sunday:  Stretch, walk dogs, go to gym (see above workout plan), stretch

I'm going to start actually TAKING my daily multivitamin.  I'm also going to try to keep the fridge and pantry stocked with healthy options, so when my husband starts eating junk I can grab a yogurt or an apple.  I'm also going to order salads when we go out rather than going straight for the burger every time.  Daily calorie goal is 1,600.

WHY
In high school, I was a varsity distance runner; one of the best in the state and certainly the best at my school.  Being competitive, I hurt myself very early in my sophomore track season.  After being off my feet for a month and a half, I was able to finish the season.  I continued to run with my injury through my senior year.  But since then, the pain has continued and I have slowly begun to cut out activities that I used to enjoy because they have become too painful.  I finally have surgery scheduled to repair the damage in April (though I may have to push the date back depending on employment), so I want  be as strong as possible beforehand to make recovery easier.

I am also doing this for my body image.  Realistically, I know that I still look ok.  But I want to look great.  And even more important, I want to FEEL great!  After spending so much of my life as an athlete, it's hard to feel weak, out of shape, and squishy.  My energy is low, I get tired more easily than I used to, and I just don't feel good about myself.  So I want to be healthier and be able to feel good again.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:21:23 PM by ZennaBug »

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »
I think I am going to chicken out, sorry guys. *hides* I am still going to try but I don't think I'll be in the group. I am feeling self conscious.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:08:38 PM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
I wish everybody who joined/s ALL the best!!! This sounds super fun. :D I'd love to do it myself but I don't have any pounds to lose... I have pounds to gain in muscle/strength. Ever see that episode of Bugs Bunny where his arm goes limp? That's me. XD

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline psyknife

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
Woo!  I LOVE seeing all of these responses!

We will OFFICIALLY start on Monday, the 30th, and we'll go for 90 days!  Let's DO THIS! :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal