collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Guinea pigs?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
Guinea pigs?
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:50:36 AM »
I've been thinking about it for a while, and I've decided that I think I want to get some guinea pigs as pets.  :)

I used to have rabbits, so I've dealt with small (ish? xD) animals before, and I also had a dog (which worried me, as she'd probably chase a guinea pig), but we had to put her down last month. :(

I was thinking of getting two guinea pigs, probably two females (or two males).

I do have some questions though - does anyone here own / has owned guinea pigs? What are they like as pets?

I also have some stuff leftover from my rabbits (both passed away unexpectedly, one of old age and the other of pneumonia while under the care of a friend, unfortunately), such as some timothy hay, these little yogurt treats, a water bottle, and some non-clumping cat litter (my rabbits were litterbox trained, but I had to make sure the litter was non-clumping because they sometimes try to eat it).

Would this leftover stuff (which is a few years old) be safe to use with guinea pigs, if I got some? Also, can you litterbox train a guinea pig, and would I be able to use the non-clumping litter I have?

-OctoberFlash
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Guinea pigs?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:20:22 AM »
squeeksqueeksqueeksqueeksqueeksqueeksqueeksqueeksqueek
squeeksqueeksqueeksqueekscurryscurryscurrysqueeksqueeksqueeksqueek
 nomnomnomnomscurryscurryhidehidesqueeksqueeksqueeksqueek

I think that about sums up a guinea pig :D

Hay good, treats good, not sure about litter training as they pewp and run when scared if I remember right.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
I have owned guinea pigs and do currently. I used to breed actually so.....yeah... Anyway, they are wonderful pets. Rabbit feed should not be given to them (I know that wasn't mentioned but we usually have left over food when we lose a pet). It generally contains too much vitamin D and not enough vitamin C. Guinea Pigs need vitamin C, unlike most other animals, because like us, they don't produce their own. Timothy hay is a piggy requirement so that's fine. Just make sure it hasn't gotten moldy or collected dust or anything else that would make it not be safe. Guinea Pigs should not be given dairy, including the little yogurt drops so I'd avoid those. They will need a water bottle, though be sure to clean it well, as should always be the practice before reusing pet items. Also make sure it doesn't leak. Cat litter I wouldn't give them. The rare piggy can be sorta kinda litterbox trained, but as a general rule, they can't be. Some are just cleaner than others and will choose one corner to go in and if you put a litter box there (typically with the same thing you use for bedding to fill it) they'll go in it, but most will just go where ever.  Anything else?

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:17:25 AM »
Never owned them, but I think they're adorbs. :)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:40:59 AM »
I've owned four guinea pigs before and they are just wonderful. Once they get used to you, they are the sweetest most affectionate things ever and make the cutest sounds. Definitely do not use the cat litter. Also do /not/ use pine or cedar bedding as both have something in them that can be harmful to guinea pigs and most other rodents. It'd be best to use the bedding that's made out of recycled paper that's sold in stores. Give your guinea pig oranges or put drops of vitamin C in its water for its Vitamin C even if the food you buy claims to have Vitamin C in it because I was told that as the food sits on the shelves, after long enough the Vitamin C in it fades away. If you are getting two guinea pigs, I'd recommend two females. I think there's a higher risk that two males would fight. Also, make sure your guinea pig has something to gnaw on or else its teeth will grow too long. Guinea pigs also love to have a place to hide so getting a guinea pig shelter for the cage would be a good idea. I wouldn't give it a shelter though until it's gotten used to you so that it can't hide all the time. Make sure it's a wood one too. I've heard the plastic ones have poor circulation and make sure teh cage is in an area that's not too hot or too cold and not too near a vent. Guinea pigs can't handle drafts on them. As they can be prone to health problems, I'd recommend regular vet checkups to make sure it stays healthy. You also want to watch out for eye crusting and diarrhea as those are major alarms in a guinea pig.  Not to the point of being paranoid, just act quickly if it does happen.  Another fun thing for when your guinea pig is settled in and comfortable with you and the surroundings is letting it out to run around the house if possible. It makes them so happy. As my Vixen trotted around the house, I could hear her making the kind of chirps guinea pigs make when they're very happy.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:47:54 AM by Koudoawaia »

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:23:31 AM »
I havent actually owned any but I hear that they are sweet things once they get used to you.  I think males are also more friendly then females...but I cant remember for sure.

Best of luck <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »
I never had guinea pigs but please throw the hay and treats away and it would probably best best to buy a new water bottle. The food can get small amounts of mycobacteria over time and this may not be seen by the naked eye but it can be deadly or cause small issues that add up. Pet food should actually not be used once it is open for over 30 days because of this and of course hay even when in a tie package is also subject to all manner of mites. Plastic water bottles should be replaced annually as the little screw crevices where you turn it together can build bacteria and its generally hard to clean the bottle and dispenser well. They are cheap enough anyway.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »
Had a Guinea when I was little and he lived till the ripe old age of 10. :D

One thing that Guineas need is vitamin C so they need to be given oranges. Also, if you want to give your Guinea a friend don't keep them with a rabbit as rabbits bully them. I'm not sure if you could litter train one but I guess it's possible. I can't think of much else right now if you have anything specific I'm sure I can ask at college about it.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:08:04 PM »
I have owned guinea pigs for the last 7 years. Here's a little +/- list. :)

+Wonderful, social and loving pets.
+They hardly never bites. If they do they usually have been treated very bad.
+Fun to watch them interacting with each other.
+They make lots of different sounds. (Squeek squeek etc. :P) Both to other pigs and to us humans.

-They poop and pee a lot, which means you have to clean the cage frequently.
-It's very important to give them the right food for them to stay healthy. Lots of vitamin C, lots of hay, not too much of this, not too little of that, etcetera..
-They get sick quite easily.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline OctoberFlash

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »
Thanks for the information, everyone :)

Yeah, we'll probably end up buying all new stuff anyway, that's what I thought, I just thought I'd make sure (because knowing my dad, he'd try to re-use the stuff unless I told him otherwise, lol). Also, good to know guinea pigs generally aren't litterbox trained, I'm okay with that xD

Thanks everyone! x3 if I do end up getting guinea pigs, I'll be back with lots of pictures! lol

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I used to own guinea pigs! i love those little things so much :3 mine both died about 3 years ago though :(

I have owned guinea pigs for the last 7 years. Here's a little +/- list. :)

+Wonderful, social and loving pets.
+They hardly never bites. If they do they usually have been treated very bad.
+Fun to watch them interacting with each other.
+They make lots of different sounds. (Squeek squeek etc. :P) Both to other pigs and to us humans.

-They poop and pee a lot, which means you have to clean the cage frequently.
-It's very important to give them the right food for them to stay healthy. Lots of vitamin C, lots of hay, not too much of this, not too little of that, etcetera..
-They get sick quite easily.
this!
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
Had a Guinea when I was little and he lived till the ripe old age of 10. :D

One thing that Guineas need is vitamin C so they need to be given oranges. Also, if you want to give your Guinea a friend don't keep them with a rabbit as rabbits bully them. I'm not sure if you could litter train one but I guess it's possible. I can't think of much else right now if you have anything specific I'm sure I can ask at college about it.

Wow 10 years old? I would love to know your secret to your guinea pig living that long.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:04 PM »
Strawberries, kiwi, cherries, cranberries and mango are better for vitamin C than oranges. Oranges and other citrus fruits have d-limonene, especially in their rind, which could potentially cause toxicity in rodents. I guess its up to the owner to decide to give oranges or not though but its something to look into and make an educated decision on.

Offline MLPlyte

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
I had guineas once. I can't remember the details of what they can and can't have, so I'd ask the pet store or google it. But I will say this: I got my two boy guineas from a breeder. She was VERY adamant about not mixing the sexes because of irresponsible breeding and what not. Gave us the speech multiple times. So we got Russle and Roger and they had a happy home and then I come home from school a few months later and find baby guineas in the cage.   O.O  So just be super careful about that, I guess. Trust your breeder. And have fun. They are cute and snuggly and make the most awesome little sounds.

Offline OctoberFlash

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:18:15 AM »
I had guineas once. I can't remember the details of what they can and can't have, so I'd ask the pet store or google it. But I will say this: I got my two boy guineas from a breeder. She was VERY adamant about not mixing the sexes because of irresponsible breeding and what not. Gave us the speech multiple times. So we got Russle and Roger and they had a happy home and then I come home from school a few months later and find baby guineas in the cage.   O.O  So just be super careful about that, I guess. Trust your breeder. And have fun. They are cute and snuggly and make the most awesome little sounds.

Oh, dear 0_o

I think I'm going to learn how to sex guinea pigs so I can make sure I have two of the same sex and not one of each - I wouldn't be able to take care of baby piggies! xD I already know how to sex rabbits, so I imagine it won't be too hard to learn how to sex guinea pigs c:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal