collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dinosaur toys!  (Read 2372 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Dinosaur toys!
« on: July 10, 2022, 08:13:31 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Who collects or had cool dinosaurs as a kid? As a child of the 80s I had a big collection of Playskool Definitely Dinosaurs. They were really cool, the bigger ones were articulated and fortunately, I had most of the big ones including the T-Rex and Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus.

I still have them in fact :) Unfortunately, they suffer from plastic degradation much more than ponies. My T-Rex and Protoceratops have age spots all over them and have gone sticky. My Spinosaurus neck is loose too, putting her in a perpetual downward position. As a child I fixed this with a simple rubber band :lol: I loved them so much. They were tough and my friend and I had epic battles with them. Mine still show their scars (mainly paint rub off from their attackers).

I was in 7th grade when Jurassic Park came out and "too old" for toys. Even so, I loved the figures in secret and wished I could get some. I especially loved the ones with wounds - man, I would have LOVED that as a kid! I've thought of starting a JP collection but I really don't have the space or money for something new.

I do have some Schleich dinos. The Red T-Rex, Spinosaurous, Dunkleosteus, Baryonyx and Iguanodon. I also have another cretaceous fish from... Safari? I'm not sure. They are great figures. Mine are older releases, so the quality is very good (it's gone down for the past few years for some reason).

As a kid I also had those small plastic one-color mini dinos that you could get at like the dollar store. I had a bunch of farm animals of the same variety XD I played with them a lot and always wished I had more.

One very special dino I still have is one that was made in a wax maker from the Field Museum back in the day. It's a white wax T-Rex :) He's had some damage over the years but is mostly intact. He sits on a shelf with some other little animal knick-knacks.

What about you? Do you have a dino collection? I want to see! :biggrin:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Dinosaur toys!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 08:14:05 AM »
I did as a kid
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SweetNightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*uᴥu *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*
    • View Profile
    • My Carrd.co
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 09:28:35 AM »
I still have my childhood dino toys. I mostly had cheap no name brand dinos. I also had a bunch of McDonald's Disney Dinosaur toys (they kinda started my dinosaur obsession).
I was thinking about staring collecting Jurassic Park and Schleich toys but rn I have no space for them.
Also Beasts of the Mesozoic, really want them but no money and no space :cry:
**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚visitors can't see pics , please register or login
˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

My Checklist || My Wishlist || My Carrd.co
Signature by  starscout

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »
Not as a kid outside of Jurassic Park ... but now as an adult, I can't resist a Spinosaurus toy! (bipedal, not sausage dog). I wanted the Schleich one FOREVER and FINALLY got it, along with one that seems to be made with a similar/identical mold but has different colours. I am making eyes at the black special edition T-Rex ...

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 11:29:54 AM »
I had the coolest set of toys called design -a-saur bones. They were thick plastic skeletons that you could put together yourself, or even create your own monsters. I also remember them having a very weird and distinct smell.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 01:04:01 PM »
I had dinosaurs as a kid! I loved dinosaurs :heart: Still do! I had mostly cheap no-brand dinos and I gave them all up years ago. I don’t miss them, although I also gave away my walking triceratops and I really, really miss her. She was so cool, and she walked!!

I do have my collection of Magic Diaper baby animals though. And one of the sets are all dinos. They are cute :heart: I also have action figures of Fran, Charlene and the baby from the family Sinclair TV show. I still want to get Robbie and Earl, but I haven’t bought them yet. I do look them up on eBay from time to time though.

Jurassic Park and The Land before time is two of my favorite movies. I watched them both in cinemas when they first came out and they are two of my strongest cinema experiences to this day. I actually think The Land before Time is my first cinema experience ever! I also loved the Dinotopia books. All things dino :lol:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 12:06:41 PM »
Loungefly has come out with some super fun bags from the JP franchise. I have My eyes set on one backpack I just adore!

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 12:26:23 PM »
I had Littlefoot, always wanted Cera. Had a bunch of very colorful hard plastic dinos too. If they had a brand I didn't know or remember it.

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 07:16:16 PM »
This is the thread for me! :D

I used to have a sizable dino collection as a kid! I still have a few Jurassic Park toys left over from that time, but I've had to slowly replace my dinos over the years because my brother sold them at a yard sale without my permission years ago. :(

Dino toys I had/now have:
-Playskool Definitely Dinosaurs Polecanthus and Trachodon, Triceratops, Stegosaurus (last three were a Wendy's promo)
-Fischer Price Skeleton Kit (Build-a-Dino)
-Primal Rage action figures-Diablo, Talon, Venom (I think that was its name? the blue snake thing lol)
-Jurassic Park-red rex, Lost World bull rex, Alan Grant, Muldoon, baby Triceratops, electronic "Spitter", electronic pinball machine, baby T.rex with cast, juvie tan and green T.rexes (from JP, Lost World), Stegosaurus (Lost World), Triceratops (JP)
-Carnegie/Wild Safari Apatosaurus baby
-Tiny Perfect Dinosaur kit-Leptoceratops
-Beasts of the Mesozoic-Build-a-Raptors (you can watch the video I made showing off the final painted figures!), Linheraptor, Tyrannosaurus rex
-Dino Riders Styracosaurus
-Zords Supersaurus (it kept falling apart and was difficult to store, so that loss isn't as bad)

I'm sure I had a lot more, I can't remember them all. I have Darlin' Dinos too! T-rexanne, Bronte and Tri-sara-tops. I have Paleontologist Barbie in box, also. :)

*sigh* Now I want more dinosaur toys. My wallet is squeezed too tight this year! :(

Post Merge: July 13, 2022, 07:18:45 PM

I had the coolest set of toys called design -a-saur bones. They were thick plastic skeletons that you could put together yourself, or even create your own monsters. I also remember them having a very weird and distinct smell.

Yes these! The Fischer Price set. I was especially heartbroken to have lost it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:18:45 PM by ChocolateStarfire »
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 01:12:41 AM »
@chocolatestarfire: wow! I would have envied you as a kid! I was eleven- twelve when JP came out, and probably just a little bit old for buying new toys. I never had any of the JP toys, although that would have been cool.

Did anyone else watch the Dino family Sinclair on TV? I can’t really remember the name of the show, but I loved it!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 06:06:11 AM »
Wow, that's a great collection, Chocolatestarfire! Sorry your brother did that though :( My dad did the same thing with some of my toys. I didn't know there were Primal Rage figures!! I would love to have Talon as I played as him all the time. I still have the game too.

Katrine - The show was just called Dinosaurs! I used to watch it too :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 08:09:59 AM »
Sorry your brother did that. :(

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 10:03:52 AM »

Of course it did :lol: The lack of originality was probably the reason I forgot ;) I loved that show!

I just saw the last Jurassic World movie in theatres and I liked it! It was Nice to see Alan, Ellie and Ian together again. And there were many nods to the first movie - which I liked because I love that first movie! But of course, story-wise it was not the best… in my opinion of course! But nothing really competes with JP ;)

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 01:48:16 PM »
@chocolatestarfire: wow! I would have envied you as a kid! I was eleven- twelve when JP came out, and probably just a little bit old for buying new toys. I never had any of the JP toys, although that would have been cool.

Did anyone else watch the Dino family Sinclair on TV? I can’t really remember the name of the show, but I loved it!

XD Aww, thanks! I got really lucky because my dad worked for McDonnell Douglas for a time, and was able to get us lots of high-end toys at Christmas for a few years.

I *vaguely* recall watching Dinosaurs! on TV as a kid. The Muppet builds didn't appeal to me, except for the teen dinos in the Sinclair family. Spoiler Alert-the end of that show is very depressing, oof!

I do remember watching the newer Land of the Lost show, Dink the Dinosaur, Denver the Last Dinosaur and of course the Land Before Time, We're Back!-A Dino's Story and Jurassic Park as a kid. I had to really convince my parents for the VHS of Jurassic Park, they refused to take me to see it in theaters (I was just shy of the PG-13 rating).

Wow, that's a great collection, Chocolatestarfire! Sorry your brother did that though :( My dad did the same thing with some of my toys. I didn't know there were Primal Rage figures!! I would love to have Talon as I played as him all the time. I still have the game too.

Thanks! Talon was one of my favorites too, I wrote stories about him being unearthed by a human paleontologist and falling in love with her lol! I will have to upload it to one of my blogs these days and share, it was...something lol! Unfortunately that was one of the toys I lost, and I can't replace him due to $$$.

I managed to get Primal Rage for the Genesis a year ago--I used to rent it all the time from Blockbuster as a kid!

Sorry your brother did that. :(

Thank you--it was a while back but thinking about it still stings. *sigh*

Post Merge: July 14, 2022, 01:50:47 PM

Of course it did :lol: The lack of originality was probably the reason I forgot ;) I loved that show!

I just saw the last Jurassic World movie in theatres and I liked it! It was Nice to see Alan, Ellie and Ian together again. And there were many nods to the first movie - which I liked because I love that first movie! But of course, story-wise it was not the best… in my opinion of course! But nothing really competes with JP ;)

I'm kind of scared to see Dominion. I saw the other JW movies and yeah they just don't compare to JP, or even the Lost World. JP III is...eh.

Has anyone seen Prehistoric Planet, a docuseries on Apple TV+? I saw that for my birthday a couple of months ago, an awesome series!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 01:50:47 PM by ChocolateStarfire »
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 03:03:06 AM »
I don't have Apple+ but I remember watching the original Walking with Dinosaurs all those years ago. Jeff Corwin had a show about dinos too.

Any gamers? The JP games are amazing as is Parkosaurous. Prehistoric Kingdom looks promising too. Saurian is also pretty cool but it needs more work.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal