collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoring advice  (Read 1629 times)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Restoring advice
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »
Next question, when replacing a ponies metal tail components, how necessary is the washer? I've some spare rubber washers, though it doesn't look like the hair will move  a whole lot with a couple zip ties.

As FlickaFriend said, it shouldn't be necessary to replace the washer. I bought a 6 pack of rubber ones for my tail rust fixing, and replaced the washer on Baby Surprise with one, but Dancing Butterflies' clamp wouldn't fit into the hole of those washers so I stuck it back in her without replacing it and it seems fine.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 07:59:02 PM »
Washers are not necessary except in Flatfoots, where their weight (and FF's double washers are MASSIVE compared to every later release) helped counteract their tendency to tip forward.  Somewhat.

For everyone else, it's safe to chuck the metal washer and use a zip tie, plastic washer, bit of white ribbon or even nothing at all if they're just going to sit on a shelf. Personally I prefer to have something holding the tail secure because I like brushing my herd and don't care to have tails popping out during a grooming session!  :P

Glad the toothpaste helped!  It's much the same principle as Magic Eraser - a very fine abrasive, usually calcium carbonate, helps polish teeth and does a similarly nice job on stubbornly dirty ponies.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 02:05:29 PM »
Finally got around to cleaning up Seashell. Couple stubborn marks that wouldn't come off with magic eraser/toothpaste use. What really concerns me though are the several brown spots around her neck ring. Is this some form of cancer? Anything I can do to at least prevent the spread? I'd rather not quarantine her, she's a rather pretty pony.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
Probably age spots, yes.  They're not contagious, and there's no real treatment.
Proper storage conditions (avoiding high humidity and having stable temperatures) will slow or halt the progress.  No need for quarantine.  Seashell is just one of those ponies that often has this flaw.  Make sure you dry her out completely before reassembly.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »
Good to know. I've got a dehumidifier running in my room (I live in a basement), helps keep the humidity down. That thing makes for a pretty good dryer for ponies, I keep their bodies positioned the dehumidifiers exhaust vents, blows warm air all around in them. Really speeds up the drying process.
Hope this isn't somehow a bad thing.

Temperatures are relatively stable, gets a little toasty in the colder months due to a woodstove.

Thanks again

Spoiler

Here's what I've done so far. Minty didn't even come with a tail, I'll order one for her (And for a Cotton Candy I bought some time ago) later. I found a great pair of tweezers for re-tailling ponies, stretches the plastic slightly but I can still pull the tail through with no damage.
Sundance is missing about 1/3 of her hair, gonna have to get that taken care of one of these days.

My next pony project is deflocking a Best Wishes I bought at a flea market several years ago. Got patches of flocking missing when I got her, might as well finish the job.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:52:12 PM by lordalexander74 »
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »
Dehumidifers don't get warm enough to cause problems, so you're fine there.  The main problem with temperature flux is again, humidity - which is relative to temperature.  Heat can also cause possible deformation of the vinyl if the pony gets squished or stacked under stuff, but that's far less common.   As long as you keep your ponies somewhere comfortable for humans and out of reach of the sun, that's the best anyone can do outside of a controlled micro-climate.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal