collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has Hasbro's Focus Changed?  (Read 9688 times)

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Has Hasbro's Focus Changed?
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »
I always used to get sad (and still do) when they would have these retro shirts for old 80's things and they wouldn't fit me unless I was a toothpick. Like they used to have a Last Unicorn shirt and I wanted it so much, but it didn't fit. :( I'm wishing they would have more shirts that are colorful, fit well, and are on their mane characters. Like somebody said they have a Grey Pegasus shirt but I'm not a fan of her nor do I like Dr. Hooves. But I'd love like a nice blue shirt with Rainbow Dash or Luna or Fluttershy. Maybe a larger size pink Pinkie Pie shirt?
I know. :( Not all fans of MLP have thin, small super-model bodies. I like how they're making mens shirts but wish they'd make RETRO ones. Most of the G1 MLP shirts they make now are in womens sizes and styles which means I'd feel uncomfortable wearing them, even in a large size. I also found a Pinkie Pie shirt that I really wanted but it did not fit and I went home very sad.
Plus I'd prefer if the shirts featured the main characters.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »
I always used to get sad (and still do) when they would have these retro shirts for old 80's things and they wouldn't fit me unless I was a toothpick. Like they used to have a Last Unicorn shirt and I wanted it so much, but it didn't fit. :( I'm wishing they would have more shirts that are colorful, fit well, and are on their mane characters. Like somebody said they have a Grey Pegasus shirt but I'm not a fan of her nor do I like Dr. Hooves. But I'd love like a nice blue shirt with Rainbow Dash or Luna or Fluttershy. Maybe a larger size pink Pinkie Pie shirt?
I know. :( Not all fans of MLP have thin, small super-model bodies. I like how they're making mens shirts but wish they'd make RETRO ones. Most of the G1 MLP shirts they make now are in womens sizes and styles which means I'd feel uncomfortable wearing them, even in a large size. I also found a Pinkie Pie shirt that I really wanted but it did not fit and I went home very sad.
Plus I'd prefer if the shirts featured the main characters.

A lot of the G1 MLP clothes I have seen are meant for children. There's a hoodie, robe and some pajamas that I want, but they're for little girls. I wish I was a toothpick again. I'm not huge, but I'm a size 6 with some curves now.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »
Yes, and no.

They're obviously catering to bronies. They are also (attempting) to cater with children with the "Barbie formula", but as we saw with Bore 7, they're not very good at it.

They're just leaving collectors in the dust. I'm not sure why. Did the Underwater Pony, Junko Mizuno Pony, and retro sets all bomb in sales? If so, why did they?

I can imagine the retro sets bombing because well, let's admit this: some collectors are extremely, extremely picky. They want original curl, no mark on the pony, they want perfection. I believe I recall a lot of upturned noses in the direction of the retro sets, because they weren't "exact", the plastic was too hard, the hair was off color a slight, etc. Maybe the same thing happened with the Underwater Pony and that line of collectible G3s.

I, personally, adored the retro sets and bought them as soon as I could find them. I wish Hasbro would have continued it (what I would do for a Glory) actually, but oh well. The collectible "art ponies" were also neat, but I admittedly didn't enjoy the orange one, and never got the chance to buy the Underwater.

I'm guessing that Hasbro took a chance with collectors, didn't meet quota, and is afraid to take a chance again.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Lon-san

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2012, 01:02:02 AM »
I hope the lack of extras isn't because bronies used to whine whenever Hasbro made a non-show pony. I don't think they mind now, but it used to be whenever Equestria Daily posted "Hey, here's a new toy that's been found but she's not on the show!" bronies would say "WAHHH WHERE'S LUNA?!"

Of course there's a parade of Lunas now so...

The funny thing was when some people were complaining about Sunny Rays and Cherry Berry not being from the show. Baaah, you call yourselves fans? Sunny Rays has popped but once or twice and Cherry Berry is a frequent part of the background. She's even had LINES! XD ( Putting your Hoof Down)

I've kind of said this before, but what we need are more waves like the CB/SR/Trixie/Lyra one. Fans of the show get side characters they like, and people who want variety in the colours of the ponies get that, and people who want the mane six (though it's not like they're hard to find or anything) get that, since Twilight and Rarity were also in the wave. Waves like that really seem like they have the most potential to appeal to all three groups of fans, the collectors, the children, and the bronies.

I really agree with this.  If every wave (or even every other wave) had 2 of the main six, 2 of the background/side character ponies, and two brand new ponies, then Hasbro would be covering all their bases.

Here here! That would be WONDERFUL.

Yes, and no.

They're obviously catering to bronies. They are also (attempting) to cater with children with the "Barbie formula", but as we saw with Bore 7, they're not very good at it.

They're just leaving collectors in the dust. I'm not sure why. Did the Underwater Pony, Junko Mizuno Pony, and retro sets all bomb in sales? If so, why did they?

I can imagine the retro sets bombing because well, let's admit this: some collectors are extremely, extremely picky. They want original curl, no mark on the pony, they want perfection. I believe I recall a lot of upturned noses in the direction of the retro sets, because they weren't "exact", the plastic was too hard, the hair was off color a slight, etc. Maybe the same thing happened with the Underwater Pony and that line of collectible G3s.

I, personally, adored the retro sets and bought them as soon as I could find them. I wish Hasbro would have continued it (what I would do for a Glory) actually, but oh well. The collectible "art ponies" were also neat, but I admittedly didn't enjoy the orange one, and never got the chance to buy the Underwater.

I'm guessing that Hasbro took a chance with collectors, didn't meet quota, and is afraid to take a chance again.

I really liked those retro sets and I was disapointed that all I could find was damaged ones when I had enough on me to buy the one with Butterscotch. Had to restyle the hair to get it properly curled but I still liked them.

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2012, 02:04:23 AM »
The upcoming waves look to be missing anything other than the Mane Six, but the most recent wave had Lyra, Trixie, Sunny Rays, and Cherry Berry. It'd be awesome to get four new Playful Ponies every wave, but I'd be happy with two. I don't think any of us would be satisfied unless they released like, six new Playful Ponies and two Fashion Styles every three months. We're collectors, you know? We have different expectations and we're going to be tough to satisfy. Two ways to alienate us; no new ponies, or way more ponies than any of us could ever buy. Not sure if we're at 'no new ponies', it's one wave that's dried up. I'm hoping for more, but we'll see.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2012, 04:45:52 AM »
I think they're catering to Americans and Bronies.

They only release Target and Toys R Us exclusives to America. They apparently think that other countries won't buy them. Wut. But the show has become more or less for Bronies. So many puns in them now it isn't funny.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2012, 05:09:27 AM »
I think they're catering to Americans and Bronies.

They only release Target and Toys R Us exclusives to America. They apparently think that other countries won't buy them. Wut. But the show has become more or less for Bronies. So many puns in them now it isn't funny.

But on balance the rest of the world get exclusives which the US do not [Star Swirl, SkyWishes, Rainbow Flash] and often US exclusive lines do indeed make it elsewhere. Canada and the UK have now seen most of the Canterlot lines and in Australia you have got FS Shining Armour & Cadance whereas other countries have so far missed out on this set.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2012, 06:48:55 AM »

A lot of the G1 MLP clothes I have seen are meant for children. There's a hoodie, robe and some pajamas that I want, but they're for little girls. I wish I was a toothpick again. I'm not huge, but I'm a size 6 with some curves now.

Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange that  the vast majority of adult clothing features G4 but most of the G1 designs are on children's clothing who presumably don't know anything about G1?

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »
I still never dreamed that when the new MLP show came out a couple years ago that in the future they would be catering to bronies and primarily male fans. :/  Nothing wrong with men liking the show, but I never thought MLP would take this turn. It makes me angry to think about.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »
Yea Dazzle I agree its just plain weird.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:24 AM »

Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange that  the vast majority of adult clothing features G4 but most of the G1 designs are on children's clothing who presumably don't know anything about G1?

I find it very strange as well. Most people who like G1 are adults. How many children actually know about G1 if they don't have an older relative that knows about it? It's really frustrating. :'(
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »
I still never dreamed that when the new MLP show came out a couple years ago that in the future they would be catering to bronies and primarily male fans. :/  Nothing wrong with men liking the show, but I never thought MLP would take this turn. It makes me angry to think about.

I was doing some thinking and wanted to add on some more to this statement of mine.

I just want to get it out there that I have NO problem with male fans of the show nor male collectors. What I DO have an issue with is the sexism that starts when a fanbase goes primarily male. Disrespect to female fans, guys claiming it's only cool because men like it, selfishness in expecting the sh ow to cater to them, and disregard for the show's original roots (ex: hating on G3s and G1s).

I was very active in the anime community for years. I used to be very into anime. I still have a collection of about 900 anime DVDs. But I never watch it anymore. I haven't watched anime in about two years. I got sick of all the creepers in the fandom, sexism, etc. Like guys would watch a show that has a lot of what you'd call "fanservice" for women and complain about it when most anime shows out there are catered to men. So when ONE show does it, they whine and moan. This is what I fear the FiM show is spawning.
I also used to be active on sites for video games. Same thing there. Sarcasm towards female players, bashing any female-pandered game, etc.

Please don't bash me for this. It's just my feelings. I've never been one for cosplay. I think there IS a time and place for it, and I have seen some cute pony cosplay. I am going to my first pony convention in July. My brothers and maybe my parents will accompany me and even pay their own cover charge to get in. I already dread the spectacles they'll see. I mean, JERRY SPRINGER had a special with bronies. A big guy dressed in a pink tutu and a girl dressed as Rainbow Dash doing skits on the show. I know this convention is going to have tons of this crap. To me it borders on creepy. I am hoping for a convention with a bunch of fans/collectors getting together and chatting, buying, selling, and trading. But my brother is SUPER excited to see some of the hardcore fans and dudes dressed up as ponies. They say it will be great facebook fodder. They are threatening to become bronies and dress up as unicorns. LOL.
Cosplayers, please don't hate me. I used to think it was cool until I met some people that don't know the difference between cosplay and reality. Took a Japanese class in college and most of them were anime fans. I don't think it's cool to come to class with cat ears. I felt embarrassed walking in there. Maybe I'm too uptight?

*sigh* I don't like being negative. I loved the MLP community because it's a great community to embrace the femininity of liking colorful ponies (and a great place for men who love ponies to embrace to too!). But the new fans, the bronies, have made my enjoyment of the G4s dwindle. I feel as a collector who has been into ponies for 15 years is being pushed out of my own fandom. Maybe I am strange for feeling this way but ponies are a large part of my life, as they are for many of us. Many members here spend time every day on this forum so they know what I mean. It's bad when you are the ones who supported MLP for so long and now that a new group has come in and taken over, it's all for them.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Jypsy

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2012, 08:35:20 AM »
I have to say that I think the biggest reason they are trying to tie the toys in to the show rather than the other way around, is due to the immense popularity the show has.

Bluntly put, that is where the money is. I wouldn't say they are catering to the bronies specifically, but fans of the show.
With the upcoming (recently released for some area) releases of Crystal Motion Ponies as well as an increased focus on the plush ponies, I think they are really trying to court most sides of the fandom at once.

Stupidly I passed up the wave 4 brushables since at the time I was only collecting the Main Six ponies, but now I really am dying to get a few new styles instead of re-releases of the core group.

Blind bags are insanely popular in my area, and even at my store we have had all the boxes we got in sell out very quickly. Unfortunately we can't compete price-wise with the larger stores so we don't get as many in stock as we would like to. Those seem to be catering to the older fans, both bronies and fans of other generation callback ponies.

Maybe if I had been collecting since childhood I wold feel differently, but I think there is quite a bit of variety out there for fans young and old.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2012, 08:40:20 AM »
I have to say that I think the biggest reason they are trying to tie the toys in to the show rather than the other way around, is due to the immense popularity the show has.

Bluntly put, that is where the money is. I wouldn't say they are catering to the bronies specifically, but fans of the show.

DING DING DING!  You win the prize!  That's exactly what Hasbro is doing... it's not to personally offend the 10,000 or so collectors on the Arena.  :-p  They're just trying to make as much money as they can off this new cartoon fad before the next wave of cool animated series released on cable TV stations comes out.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »
Regarding the retro sets, they were really terrible in quality.  TERRIBLE.  Thin hair, hard plastic, "wrong" colors, and the symbols scratched or wiped off really easily.  (Maybe because of the hard plastic?)

But I feel like we have only ourselves to blame for that, because when Hasbro polled us--remember that, that online poll thing?--asking what people would be willing to pay for repro ponies, a lot of people said $5 each.

$5 each.  For something that requires making a new mold, making non "standard G3" packaging, and is only going to appeal to a niche audience.   Weeeeell, you get what you pay for, as the saying goes.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal