collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has Hasbro's Focus Changed?  (Read 9691 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Has Hasbro's Focus Changed?
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
But I feel like we have only ourselves to blame for that, because when Hasbro polled us--remember that, that online poll thing?--asking what people would be willing to pay for repro ponies, a lot of people said $5 each.

$5 each.  For something that requires making a new mold, making non "standard G3" packaging, and is only going to appeal to a niche audience.   Weeeeell, you get what you pay for, as the saying goes.

Hey!  I remember when Hasbro approached us and asked what we'd like, if they were to bring some collectors' merchandise to life. 

For all those members who think Hasbro doesn't listen....  they don't.  Anymore.

Because we told them we'd buy repro ponies for $5.  They made two sets and priced them at $15 for 3 ponies.  Then we promptly complained bitterly about every single thing - the mold, the colors, the plastic, the symbols, the hair... and refused to buy them.  They lingered in stock for months in stores and then made their way through secondary retailers like TJ Maxx, Big Lots,  etc.  We still didn't buy them! 

No wonder Hasbro doesn't pay attention to our ideas anymore!  :-p  Men said, "Hasbro, make us t-shirts in men's fit" and they faithfully shop at Hot Topic and We Love Fine and buy the all shirts available.  I really, honestly, don't hold any blame to Hasbro over this... I would have made the same executive decision myself.  :-p

The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Jypsy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
But I feel like we have only ourselves to blame for that, because when Hasbro polled us--remember that, that online poll thing?--asking what people would be willing to pay for repro ponies, a lot of people said $5 each.

$5 each.  For something that requires making a new mold, making non "standard G3" packaging, and is only going to appeal to a niche audience.   Weeeeell, you get what you pay for, as the saying goes.

Hey!  I remember when Hasbro approached us and asked what we'd like, if they were to bring some collectors' merchandise to life. 

For all those members who think Hasbro doesn't listen....  they don't.  Anymore.

Because we told them we'd buy repro ponies for $5.  They made two sets and priced them at $15 for 3 ponies.  Then we promptly complained bitterly about every single thing - the mold, the colors, the plastic, the symbols, the hair... and refused to buy them.  They lingered in stock for months in stores and then made their way through secondary retailers like TJ Maxx, Big Lots,  etc.  We still didn't buy them! 

No wonder Hasbro doesn't pay attention to our ideas anymore!  :-p  Men said, "Hasbro, make us t-shirts in men's fit" and they faithfully shop at Hot Topic and We Love Fine and buy the all shirts available.  I really, honestly, don't hold any blame to Hasbro over this... I would have made the same executive decision myself.  :-p

That is exactly what happens in most situations where the fans are listened to. The most hardcore and dedicated fans are the ones to be vocal about what they want, but they also have a much higher sense of quality than the casual fans.

I have seen this happen constantly in the gaming and collectibles industry. Companies ask what fans want in the new editions or reprints of older ones, and the ones that were most excited were also the most disappointed.

This is what is happening right now in the production hell of Dungeons & Dragons "Next" (AKA 5th Edition)  Hasbro (big surprise, eh?) is trying to let players have their say in how the newest edition is going to shape up. Right now it is a mix of 4th edition and 3.5 edition (4th is much more new player friendly, but is more loose with GM-ing guidance, 3.5 is much more hardcore power gamer number cruncher friendly)

The problem is many of the people that are testing D&D are thinking they are going to get the exact game THEY want and the way THEY want it, when it releases I guarantee most of those people won't even consider buying it because it doesn't live up to their ridiculous standards.

Companies have to walk a fine line in between non-mainstream customer satisfaction and making lots of money.

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
I have to say that I think the biggest reason they are trying to tie the toys in to the show rather than the other way around, is due to the immense popularity the show has.

Bluntly put, that is where the money is. I wouldn't say they are catering to the bronies specifically, but fans of the show.

DING DING DING!  You win the prize!  That's exactly what Hasbro is doing... it's not to personally offend the 10,000 or so collectors on the Arena.  :-p  They're just trying to make as much money as they can off this new cartoon fad before the next wave of cool animated series released on cable TV stations comes out.

Haha, I love this post, Squirmy. Money... isn't that the truth of the matter  :)

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2012, 09:44:13 AM »
I can imagine the retro sets bombing because well, let's admit this: some collectors are extremely, extremely picky. They want original curl, no mark on the pony, they want perfection. I believe I recall a lot of upturned noses in the direction of the retro sets, because they weren't "exact", the plastic was too hard, the hair was off color a slight, etc. Maybe the same thing happened with the Underwater Pony and that line of collectible G3s.
I'm guessing that Hasbro took a chance with collectors, didn't meet quota, and is afraid to take a chance again.
That's how I feel to, if I'm being honest. I don't personally mind minor imperfections, but I've seen several collectors who do.

I have to say that I think the biggest reason they are trying to tie the toys in to the show rather than the other way around, is due to the immense popularity the show has.

Bluntly put, that is where the money is. I wouldn't say they are catering to the bronies specifically, but fans of the show.
Also agreeing with this.

Having said that, I don't care for womens clothing at all, so perhaps in a way I'm glad they have changed at least a little bit. That also may make me a little biased though.

Took a Japanese class in college and most of them were anime fans. I don't think it's cool to come to class with cat ears. I felt embarrassed walking in there. Maybe I'm too uptight?
Er, I'd feel the same way. I don't find many people who like Japan for the country anymore, they always seem to be more interested in it because 'anime' :(

And because it just came up, I also agree with everything lovesbabysquirmy said! Hasbro, and any company, will choose to produce merchandise that will sell. And if collectors choose to complain about quality, whereas bronies purchase everything with a minimal of complaints... Well. You know how it goes!

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
I would've been willing to pay $15 - $20 each for good quality repro ponies who came on a bubble-card.  And that would not really be an outrageous price at all, considering the original My Little Ponies cost $5 each . . . IN THE 80s.   $5 in 1983 is the equivalent of $10 in today's money.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »
I was doing some thinking and wanted to add on some more to this statement of mine.

I just want to get it out there that I have NO problem with male fans of the show nor male collectors. What I DO have an issue with is the sexism that starts when a fanbase goes primarily male. Disrespect to female fans, guys claiming it's only cool because men like it, selfishness in expecting the sh ow to cater to them, and disregard for the show's original roots (ex: hating on G3s and G1s).

I was very active in the anime community for years. I used to be very into anime. I still have a collection of about 900 anime DVDs. But I never watch it anymore. I haven't watched anime in about two years. I got sick of all the creepers in the fandom, sexism, etc. Like guys would watch a show that has a lot of what you'd call "fanservice" for women and complain about it when most anime shows out there are catered to men. So when ONE show does it, they whine and moan. This is what I fear the FiM show is spawning.
I also used to be active on sites for video games. Same thing there. Sarcasm towards female players, bashing any female-pandered game, etc.

Are you me? I agree completely. And I also don't watch anime anymore or go to conventions, when I used to go to conventions religiously every year. I feel like it just gets worse and worse -- more and more gross. I didn't even have fun when I went anymore. So I just stopped going. And basically, yes, your first paragraph is spot on.

I used to think it was cool until I met some people that don't know the difference between cosplay and reality. Took a Japanese class in college and most of them were anime fans. I don't think it's cool to come to class with cat ears. I felt embarrassed walking in there. Maybe I'm too uptight?

You are not too uptight. I used to take Japanese too and it was the exact same thing in my classes. It drives me crazy. (Noticed I say "used to take" Japanese...lol.)

It's bad when you are the ones who supported MLP for so long and now that a new group has come in and taken over, it's all for them.

Yes again.

Basically, your post is completely flawless.

BerryPunch

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »

Er, I'd feel the same way. I don't find many people who like Japan for the country anymore, they always seem to be more interested in it because 'anime' :(
I love anime, but I love Japan for the culture, the movies, art, food, the landscape! That place is BEAUTIFUL.
Japanese traditions are awesome and I personally wish I could live there.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
whereas bronies purchase everything with a minimal of complaints... Well. You know how it goes!
Sorry, but I disagree with that observation. I observed that the bronies were extremely vocal about the G4 toys. I don't think they're the ones buying the toys IMO- I just cannot see how they'd complain and still buy the toys.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Jypsy

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
whereas bronies purchase everything with a minimal of complaints... Well. You know how it goes!
Sorry, but I disagree with that observation. I observed that the bronies were extremely vocal about the G4 toys. I don't think they're the ones buying the toys IMO- I just cannot see how they'd complain and still buy the toys.

Gotta agree with you disagreeing.

There are certain ones like the Fan Favorites set, Zecora, Lyra, Trixie that are super hot with bronies,  as well as anything that actually has the art style from the show.

the main six I don't see as much.

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »

There are certain ones like the Fan Favorites set, Zecora, Lyra, Trixie that are super hot with bronies,  as well as anything that actually has the art style from the show.

This.  Most of the bronies I know complain constantly about "show accuracy".  A lot won't even buy the brushables because they don't have the right hairstyles (others try to re-style the hair, of course), which is why the Blind Bags are more popular...  But then you get Fluttershy in RD's pose which that kind of brony won't be seen dead with, and the dreaded "recolours".  Because, you know, any blind bag character that DOESN'T feature in FiM is merely a "recolour" of the main six.  It couldn't be that Hasbro are just using a few moulds for lots of different characters to cut costs as they - and other toy companies - have done for years.

This might be why they're sticking to a "Core Six" characters with just the odd new pony here or there.  Where people used to complain about the Core Seven and the lack of variety, diehard FiM show fans don't tend to like (or buy) characters that haven't starred in the show.  Of course, another answer would be to put more characters in the show and then release those as toys...but perhaps Hasbro aren't willing to take the risk of being accused of (*gasp*) advertising more toys through their cartoons.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »
That's fair enough then. I'm only a part of one other site which has a section dedicated to bronies, and the bronies there have never complained about the toys (well, one person did once, and they were ridiculed for it unfortunately).

I love anime, but I love Japan for the culture, the movies, art, food, the landscape! That place is BEAUTIFUL.
Japanese traditions are awesome and I personally wish I could live there.
That's exactly how I feel. More people need to appreciate Japan for everything it is, IMHO :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:34:39 PM by Sora »

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

BerryPunch

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »

This.  Most of the bronies I know complain constantly about "show accuracy".  A lot won't even buy the brushables because they don't have the right hairstyles (others try to re-style the hair, of course), which is why the Blind Bags are more popular...  But then you get Fluttershy in RD's pose which that kind of brony won't be seen dead with, and the dreaded "recolours".
LOL I'm like the exact opposite! XD I even bought the smaller pink Celestia one time because "I wanted ponies!"  :P I don't even give two hoots about the hair, and the blind bag Fluttershy is fine, IMO. A pony is a pony! I couldn't care less about show accuracy, we got a White Celestia, and RD's eyes are now round (DO AJ'S NOW!), so I'm fine. It's nice to get more accurate figures, but I still would most likely buy one that's way off. Because when I want an MLP, I get one!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »
Bronies too want more variety of characters (i.e., show characters).  The Core 6 thing is more about imitating "Barbie Strategy".  Or Teenage Mutant Turtles, or . . . well, lots of toylines.   Man, when you think about how many versions of Optimus Prime have been made . . .

The thing is, though, kids like different toylines for different reasons.

Barbie is a fashion doll.  The point of her is to dress her, undress her, lose the clothes, and whine for another doll.  :P  It makes sense to put forth the same character again and again in different clothes.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an action figure line.  The point is to take your characters into battle.  The toys are therefore jointed, have neat battle accessories, and often "battle actions".  So it makes sense to make a bunch of different versions of the same four turtles, each with different accessories / battle actions.

Transformers is about the ability to change your toy from one thing (robot) to another (vehicle or animal).   If you make the transformation different on each Optimus Prime toy, each one brings something unique to the table.

My Little Pony is not about fashion (even though there's pony clothes).  It is not about action features (even though there are ponies with tails that spin or legs that move).  It's not about changing the character from one thing to another (even though some ponies had hair that changed color or backs that opened).

Ultimately, My Little Pony is about variance of the PONIES THEMSELVES.  Collecting a bunch of different characters so they can make friends and have tea parties and fight monsters and go on adventures together.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »

This.  Most of the bronies I know complain constantly about "show accuracy".  A lot won't even buy the brushables because they don't have the right hairstyles (others try to re-style the hair, of course), which is why the Blind Bags are more popular...  But then you get Fluttershy in RD's pose which that kind of brony won't be seen dead with, and the dreaded "recolours".  Because, you know, any blind bag character that DOESN'T feature in FiM is merely a "recolour" of the main six.  It couldn't be that Hasbro are just using a few moulds for lots of different characters to cut costs as they - and other toy companies - have done for years.

This might be why they're sticking to a "Core Six" characters with just the odd new pony here or there.  Where people used to complain about the Core Seven and the lack of variety, diehard FiM show fans don't tend to like (or buy) characters that haven't starred in the show.  Of course, another answer would be to put more characters in the show and then release those as toys...but perhaps Hasbro aren't willing to take the risk of being accused of (*gasp*) advertising more toys through their cartoons.

This. I hate that "recolour" nonsense.
It's even more stupid when you realize a certain grey pegasus is nothing but a Rainbow Dash "recolour". : P

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »
There are still a lot of characters left that Bronies would totally love to get their hands on, even in brushable form. You saw how popular Trixie and Lyra were. Golden Harvest/Carrot Top, Minuette/Colgate, Sweety Drops/Bon  Bon, and Big Mac are just to name a few fan favorites.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal