collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Solitarily liking ponies?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Solitarily liking ponies?
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »
My comment was about how I feel on this forum, and that the bashing from people within this community, and all that negativity DOES effect people.

Are you saying my comment is insensitive?

No, I was challenging Wardah's original comparison, and her generalisation, which was why I said right point, wrong target.

I basically agree with the point you made, just that there's a risk of conflation of two different types of dislike.

SunPony is probably right that everyone (you and I included) can think more about what language we use and how we state things - I tend to feel like if someone dislikes something I like, but can explain their rationale for that dislike, then it's easier to stomach than just "x sucks".

It's hard for me to make a connection if you quote me, but still are talking about Wardah's comment.

My comment was more in general, based on the current conversation, but I wanted to say it based on something LaW wrote. But it wasn't really a direct response to her.

I actually do try to be mindful and talk like how SunPony explained.
This is why I started off "I personally think..." And many times when I don't like something, I literally say nothing at all. Sometimes, I'll say something positive, then add my negative.

I even stated people SHOULD be able to say what they wanna say. It's just tiring to hear it all the time. Kinda like being around someone and all they wanna do is complain. I think that's fair. It's pushed me off into joining conversations, or making threads about things I like. It did have an effect, like I said.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:00:34 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Solitarily liking ponies?
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2020, 09:02:48 AM »
TBH, your post charged in at me and I didn't expect it, as it was part of a bigger ongoing discussion to me. I don't like to feel targeted, and so if I made you feel targeted, I apologise. I am not always tactful, and I don't have the inbuilt sensors to tell me when that happens.

By the same token, though, I don't want there to be this confusion that we're talking about anything other than people being careless and tactless with how they state strong opinions. We can do something about that because for the most part I'm pretty certain absolutely none of those comments are made intending to hurt anyone else.

It's not the same as being subjected to a targeted campaign of stalking and harassment on and off forum for a period of months together with the sole intention of removing someone from the community because of those different opinions.

One of those is something we can just improve by thinking more about how we post our opinions, although I think it important they're still posted and shared. The other is a serious serious thing that nobody should have to deal with. If that kind of thing is happening to anyone they need to talk to someone about it, asap, and something needs to be done.

In short, one is something we can regulate ourselves. The other requires the help of mods and the community as a whole to eradicate it, and that's the real crux of my point. Conflating them either increases the severity of the first, making it more difficult for us to just handle in a matter of fact way as a community, or risks trivialising the second, which, as someone who experienced it first hand, is hard for me to accept.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:05:10 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal