collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Starlight Glimmer Gets Canadian Censorship  (Read 6386 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight Glimmer Gets Canadian Censorship
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 06:23:03 AM »
I wonder if the reason they didn't change the Flim Flam brothers episode is because they had a song.  I imagine it's easier to have the voice actors repeat a few lines about apple juice rather than re-record a song . . . which would also need new lyrics because "apple juice" doesn't have the same amount of syllables as "cider".  (They do mention cider in the chorus of the song, right?  I think I remember that.)

Yeah, that song would be an absolute nightmare to re-record. Not only do they say "cider" a bunch of times in the song itself, there's also the "cider! cider! cider!" chorus to consider.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »
I wonder if the reason they didn't change the Flim Flam brothers episode is because they had a song.  I imagine it's easier to have the voice actors repeat a few lines about apple juice rather than re-record a song . . . which would also need new lyrics because "apple juice" doesn't have the same amount of syllables as "cider".  (They do mention cider in the chorus of the song, right?  I think I remember that.)

Yeah, that song would be an absolute nightmare to re-record. Not only do they say "cider" a bunch of times in the song itself, there's also the "cider! cider! cider!" chorus to consider.
Maybe they could just cut the song out or remove instances where cider is mentioned? Or heck, just have them say apples.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »
Cider has always been applejuice in the German dub because all kinds are alcoholic here.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »
But.. but the CHILDREN *clutches pearls* They cant hear things like that, the poor dears would have their ears bleed. Next you know they will grow up to be bad kids.    :silly:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »
Cider has always been applejuice in the German dub because all kinds are alcoholic here.
I'm pretty sure they are here. But the advantage over there is that you get a complete translate, so they can rewrite in things that they think aren't ok. We just get the bog standard American version. With cider. For kids ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »

Maybe they could just cut the song out or remove instances where cider is mentioned? Or heck, just have them say apples.

The song's ~4 minutes long, probably too long to reasonably cut since it'd shorten the running time of the episode too much :p

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »

The song's ~4 minutes long, probably too long to reasonably cut since it'd shorten the running time of the episode too much :p
Then why not replace the words with apples? Oh wait, they'd probably bleep it out to make it sound even worse :P
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:31:01 AM by StarSwirl05 »

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 10:37:58 AM »
The 4Kids One Piece dub, censored out cigarettes, the turned the guns to pop guns r removed the guns completely; and let's not forget Belle Marie in the Japanese sub and Funimation when they redone the scenes died because Arlong killed her, but 4Kids put her in prison to die.

Imagine if 4Kids did My Little Pony...it would be completely censored near enough everything.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
With censorship being what it is, this kind of ridiculousness doesn't even surprise me anymore. Soon you can't probably even say "darkness" or synonyms for evil in kids shows anymore. Gotta sugarcoat everything and all.
 Though this thing reminds me of the time I was like 7 or 8 and called someone an imbecile, based on what I had learned on cartoons, for what ever reason and the kid complained I was apparently swearing, lol.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are here. But the advantage over there is that you get a complete translate, so they can rewrite in things that they think aren't ok. We just get the bog standard American version. With cider. For kids ;)

It's still really funny to see ponies go hogwild for regular shmegular applejuice.
Ponies chanting "juice juice JUICE!" and RD being starved for applejuice :lol:
I bet a lot of kids would go "so what?" watching that because apple juice is so mundane.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »

It's still really funny to see ponies go hogwild for regular shmegular applejuice.
I bet a lot of kids would go "so what?" watching that because apple juice is so mundane.

I can just picture that, OMG I'm  :lmao:

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »

I can just picture that, OMG I'm  :lmao:

Believe me, I laughed out loud when I watched it for the first time and RD was like "omg wake up Fluttershy IT'S APPLE JUICE SEASON!!!"
Like... when I was a kid I was allowed to have low grade cider and I knew there was a cider season. We had an entire festival surrounding cider. This censorship wouldn't have fooled child-me.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »
It really is just like Ryoko drinking suspiciously clear coloured "tea" and then getting drunk in the classroom in the Toonami version of Tenchi Muyou in the 90s. My sister and I found that hilarious...

I guess the reason this didn't get changed so universally is that in the US cider is not so problematic.

I still got nothing to explain why fools is bad. Given that the bleep automatically would make you think of something much worse.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »
I think a 4Kids dub would be worth it just to see how crazy the end product was. :P
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »
At first I was thinking, it's Jimmy Kimmel doing an episode of Unnecessary Censorship....but no, it's real.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal