collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is Discord a Pony? What counts as "pony"? Fair Exclusive NOT a Pony?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is Discord a Pony? What counts as "pony"? Fair Exclusive NOT a Pony?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:12 PM »
The concept itself is a cool idea and the sculpt is great.  If this was revealed as the exclusive and there was no other way to obtain it, like with previous exclusives, that would be awesome, because it does look like they put some effort into packaging it nicely.  But knowing you can pick up the exact same thing for half the price in a different box makes it no longer exclusive, and no longer special, and certainly no longer worth $50. 

I feel bad for the Fair staff.  It's not like they have any control over this but it sounds like a ton of attendees are going to be pissed off from the second they get there. 

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 01:29:02 PM »
While this isn't exactly ideal for me, I'm honestly just happy to have the "exclusive"... Not necessarily for so much of what characters it encompasses, but moreso as a specific souvenir.  I've gotten the exclusive from each fair that I've been to as a momento of my time there and the people I got to hang out with.  I can understand it to be frustrating but maybe try to change perspective a bit... Or next time maybe just don't pre buy the exclusive? ;). We will have a great time regardless of who the exclusive is!  I'll be in Chicago this time next week Whoo hoo!!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
 >_<
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Sky_Rocket

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
No - not a pony.

Does Hasbro know that other collectors outside of Bronies have LOTS of money to spend on collectable exclusives?  Do they know what we, the collectors want?  And if the answer is yes to these questions, why are they ignoring us?  Why is our money not good enough? 

I know little of the G4 line (don't watch or read comics) - but would you say this figure is geared towards the Bronies, or towards the younger crowd?  I suspect it's the Bronies, and if that's the case - Why are non-Brony collectors being ignored??  (A jointed flutter shy who's 1/3 the size of the main figure - which will be release shortly jointed doesn't count - we can go to our stores and buy a similar Flutter Shy for 1/10th the price)  Where is Hasbro getting the idea that we, the collectors want a Discord?!?! 

Is our buying power not enough?  Do we not spend enough on ponies for you to notice us?  Are we supposed to be happy with everything that's released in stores?  Is that Hasbro's why of saying collectable figures aren't meant for the non Brony collector??  "well, you get all that other stuff, let the Bronies have this....." Or are they thinking that Bronies are the only buyers at Comic Con?

The easy solution is to not buy this 'exclusive', but I think we run into the issue of buying power.  People will buy this pony b/c it's 'collectable' and because it's 'pony' or 'resell!' - hence, lots of buying power.  They're not seeing another collectable option to buy - and we (us under represented collectors) need another option.  There was a time when Hasbro released an exclusive and I moved heaven and earth to get them in person*, and I wasn't alone in the quest to find them.  There was a post on here a few weeks about Christmas Ornaments that we the collectors crashed sold them out before they were even available.

It upsets me a lot that we're such a huge market and we're being overlooked. Go on eBay for ponies made before 1990, and look at the ending auctions, and sort by sold and highest prices.  Even though the Bronies could say the same thing (they'd be overlooked) - but then why not two exclusives? 

Pony Fair promoters - I feel for you.  It's a shame that you wouldn't be able to do your own exclusives like Trolly and Frisco in the future.  I believe there would be a MUCH higher demand for something made by the fair promoters than what's Hasbro is currently providing   The time to create and mass produce an exclusive would be an incredible undertaking with the current fair attendance.

(rant here - Hasbro, it cost 25¢ to make one G3 pony (figures from the fair a few years ago in Rhode Island), how hard is it to design a pony, make the pony, put it in a plastic bag, plain white box, ship the pony and sell it?!?!? You did it for other events (Licensing shows, charity balls, give aways, 'breast cancer pony') WHY NOT THE FAIR!?!?!?!? You have a willing audience with lots of money to spend!! Where's the risk!?!?!? We don't need/want fancy packing - we want non mass produced ponies!!!!!)

* Attended three Comic Cons, pony fairs, pony project in NY, flew to the UK to for G3 Winter Song, and numerous trips to the US to get the Target exclusives (I love to travel and planned some trips around buying ponies)

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »
Does Hasbro know that other collectors outside of Bronies have LOTS of money to spend on collectable exclusives?
Did you know that most of the brony fandom cannot afford an overpriced merch like that, and the small percent that has the money to buy a lot of stuff would rather spend on fanmade stuff or commissions?

Just a couple days ago a friend of mine posted her latest work, a life-sized Twilight plushie that she was to sell at Bronycon... if someone wouldn't have bought it before she could've even gone there (they still agreed that she can showcase it on the con though). Note that one of these can cost anywhere from 800 to 1500$-s.

I'm not surprised Hasbro wants a piece of that kind of cake either, however specific and tiny that may be. Too bad they don't realize their products don't really hit the mark of many.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:24:36 PM by Lore-Lei »

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »
Sometimes I suspect that Hasbro comes from the perspective that collectors in general will buy what ever they make as an *exclusive* because as collectors we *collect*.  if there are some complaints it's because there are always some unhappy people. 

And there's probably at least some truth in it.
Wish it weren't so but there you are.

lostpony

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2016, 07:13:54 PM »
Hasbro:   BUY IT AND REJOICE

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2016, 04:51:27 AM »
I think that's the biggest issue. We just buy it. Even if we're unhappy. Many collecters act like we should be grateful for whatever Hasbro cares to send us. Because if we complain or voice concerns we might not get anything. Personally, I think a tactful negative response would be in order. To me, I'd rather have nothing than this.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2016, 05:10:18 AM »
I think that's the biggest issue. We just buy it. Even if we're unhappy. Many collecters act like we should be grateful for whatever Hasbro cares to send us. Because if we complain or voice concerns we might not get anything. Personally, I think a tactful negative response would be in order. To me, I'd rather have nothing than this.

Well then you have those people that as soon as you do give your honest opinion they scold/troll you. Like saying it's not for you it's for children or your part of the fandom isn't big enough it's for bronies and children.

I think people get tired of having to defend they're opinions from the haters and they're voice gets squashed and silenced because someone thinks we shouldn't have to right to voice our opinions.

And as you explained some people also think that by voicing our opinions Hasbro will just stop giving us exclusives. My thing is if I've gotta choose between no exclusive and a thing I don't like sitting around my house...I choose no exclusive.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 06:10:25 AM »
The exclusives are obviously not for children, considering their price and availability.  They're meant to be a collector's items.  However it does seem like they think collectors are bronies.  This years is clearly meant to be for bronies like last year's.  Though, I think the fair will have a marked decrease in bronies because it's the same weekend as Bronycon.

Between that the dissatisfaction among collectors, there will probably be a lot of these things for sale online by this time next week.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 08:26:08 AM »
You know at first I was upset because I thought it was overpriced but after finding out how much the non exclusive version was I'm just kinda sad it isn't anything new. However if it goes on sale at HTS it might end up being a better bargain then buying the regular one.

The exclusives are obviously not for children, considering their price and availability.  They're meant to be a collector's items.  However it does seem like they think collectors are bronies.  This years is clearly meant to be for bronies like last year's.  Though, I think the fair will have a marked decrease in bronies because it's the same weekend as Bronycon.

Between that the dissatisfaction among collectors, there will probably be a lot of these things for sale online by this time next week.

As for who it appeals to I think it is supposed to appeal to FIM fans (you know since that is what the current show is) but Bronies are only a subset of FIM fans. There are plenty of collectors who are also FIM fans. The collectors who are like "ugh geefor" are not the only voice of the collecting community.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:36:29 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 09:19:26 AM »
I don't have a problem with Discord being the SDCC exclusive personally - I figured it'd happen eventually - I mean, I wouldn't ever want him, but for those that *do* like him it's cool. My problem is the fact that he's NOT an exclusive.. fancy packaging and slightly different eye paint aren't worth it imo. I know the Fluttershy figure is exclusive now, but how long will that last? No way are they going to keep a member of the main 6 off store shelves for long.

lostpony

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »
John Delancie (sp?) um, Q often has things to say about the show etc; but I am never up on direct info.  Have any Hasbro people made any sort of comment about this for us to go on?

In other matters, I am tired of people saying adult FiM fan=brony.  Nooooo......no labels but self-assigned ones please.  I don't like being lumped in with any group unless I do it myself.

It seems to me that Hasbro is really big and holds a certain chunk of the toy market...it seems like a lot of what they are doing doesn't make a lot of sense from one perspective or another.  But, they are out to make a buck...if the exclusive is always purchased then they can put out what they want...it's about profit, no?  I don't think any amount of complaining is going to impact Hasbro's decisions unless it is in the form of drastically falling sales numbers.

Just my rather ignorant and general thoughts on the issue.  If anypony has any information, opinions, or further uninformed speculation (like mine) I'd like to read them.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »
He is not a pony. Which is fine. I suppose.....for some......

But I want my exclusive to be an actual pony with brushable hair.

I really had liked the idea that someone had of a simple G1 as a styling G4. That would have been so amazing. I also wish they would go back to charging $35 for the pony. I don't want to see hasbro make the box light up in order to justifying charging $50.

Sadly, I don't see this trend to end any time soon. Kind of makes me really wish that the FiM popularity would die off some.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
You know at first I was upset because I thought it was overpriced but after finding out how much the non exclusive version was I'm just kinda sad it isn't anything new. However if it goes on sale at HTS it might end up being a better bargain then buying the regular one.

As for who it appeals to I think it is supposed to appeal to FIM fans (you know since that is what the current show is) but Bronies are only a subset of FIM fans. There are plenty of collectors who are also FIM fans. The collectors who are like "ugh geefor" are not the only voice of the collecting community.

I haven't seen HTS put their SDCC "exclusives" for sale before- I think they still have the Jem exclusive in stock from last year.
I think the most you can hope for is a free shipping promotion- which of course all the major retailers do anyway.

Post Merge: July 05, 2016, 09:49:49 AM

Agreed- I think the best way to send a message is to not buy this exclusive.  I actually have liked past exclusives enough to buy them from the shop or from Fair attendees- (except DJ was a stretch) - and yes, the simple fact that they were "exclusives" really helped.  THIS time, I will have no problem passing.

I'll get the one that is going to see a wide release, when it goes on sale.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:49:49 AM by Galactica »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal