collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Last night somebody picked a fight with me for wearing an MLP shirt!  (Read 3135 times)

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Last night somebody picked a fight with me for wearing an MLP shirt!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »
Give bullies what they deserve. Ignore them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
If wearing your pony merch makes you happy you should wear it. :) Anyone who would be mean to you about it is not someone you want to interact with further, anyhow. And at the same time, it can help you find actual nice, like-minded people with similar interests.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
I really hope you did not get in an actual fight over this, cause they are not worth the energy.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 11:14:15 PM »
Ok all this is fine and good but please don't appropriate the phrase "coming out of the closet." That's not okay.

Yes.  This.  Exactly.  Being a Brony is not at all like being gay/bi/lesbian.  You were picked on by one random stranger.  Try being ostracized by a large amount of people, including family and former-friends, classmates, etc.  Bullying that goes so extreme that young LGBT commit suicide to escape it.  Sorry, but straight cis men are never going to know what that's like, whether they're bronies or not. 

I'm sorry you got harassed, but that doesn't touch on the level of what LGBT people live endure in this country or around the world.  :/ 

Carcina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 11:15:29 PM »

Ok all this is fine and good but please don't appropriate the phrase "coming out of the closet." That's not okay.

Yes.  This.  Exactly.  Being a Brony is not at all like being gay/bi/lesbian.  You were picked on by one random stranger.  Try being ostracized by a large amount of people, including family and former-friends, classmates, etc.  Bullying that goes so extreme that young LGBT commit suicide to escape it.  Sorry, but straight cis men are never going to know what that's like, whether they're bronies or not. 

I'm sorry you got harassed, but that doesn't touch on the level of what LGBT people live endure in this country or around the world.  :/

Thank you for putting this into words. I wanted to say all this but didn't really know where to begin...

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 12:45:55 AM »
Random person is random.
Either laugh it off (what my boyfriend would do) OR ignore it (my advice) and continue blasting music in your ear as if you didn't hear him! :P
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Empress Celestia

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 04:18:42 AM »

Sorry for any offence! I honestly don't think of that phrase as controversial any more!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 04:49:13 AM »
So long as people are still "in the closet" its going to be a sensitive phrase to throw around. This is just my opinion based on my own struggles and knowing that ill probably never share this side of myself with my family. I know it changes from person to person. In every case I just say be careful how you phrase things. :) If anything it might be even more controversial now with all the changes being fought. Everyone is aware of it, but few want to change it.

That being said, its terrible that someone acted that way, I agree with most everyone else. Where what you want, who cares what rude people think, and if anyone gets violent towards you, try and be safe about it. :)
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 06:06:48 AM »

Michael Morones( http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2014/04/12/year-olds-suicide-attempt-part-epidemic/7661405/)  attempted suicide because he was a  young male that liked my little pony and got teased. There have been at least three other kids in the media that have too.
LGBT is a community that knows boundless cruelty has been projected at them i do  understand that and i feel for them. but PLEASE don't trivialize the fact that there are just as many cruel and heart less people that will misstreat anyone for ANYTHING.
Please don't understate that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:10:01 AM by Roseprincess1 »

Snix

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »
People please..a typical social justice warrior discussion NO, here NO. Keep those things closed and locked inside tumblr.

Any kind of harassment is TOTALLY UNNACEPTABLE, donĀ“t matter from it comes.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
Guys liking things that are not perceived as "masculine" enough do often feel pressured to hide it or else get picked or even attacked and threatened, and can be related to both sexism and homophobia. So maybe the term "closeted" isn't the most appropriate, but it still conveys the appropriate meaning here I think. (And I'm glad MLP is potentially helping change that by the way)

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »
Being a brony is nothing like being LGBT.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »
They didn't try to physically hurt you, did they?  :whoa:
No, don't worry. I gave as good as I got!!

A bully is LOOKING to start a fight and LOOKING for attention by making themselves loud, antagonistic, and mean. When you 'give as good as you get' you are just giving him exactly what he wants. You played right into his hands. Next time just ignore it. As someone else said, put in headphones and jam out to music, or just don't respond and look away, or just stare at him wordlessly, or pull out your cellphone and start a game/call someone.

If someone is trying to start a physical fight with you, that's different. I'm not saying stand there and be a human punching bag. But responding to a verbal confrontation is just doing what the bully wants you to do. Instead just ignore him and move away from the area if you can.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »

Thank you for putting this into words. I wanted to say all this but didn't really know where to begin...

Please leave the modding to the mods. I would also suggest trying not to be sensitive about something which is clearly not meant as an insult but the internet, and this forum, seems to be becoming a rather overly sensitive place recently.

If you dont like it...do you know what? You can simply not say something and walk away from the thread or report it to a moderator if you are so upset by it. There is no need to crash someone's personal thread about a personal situation with your own personal thoughts and opinions on a subject which was never being referred to to begin with.

I am getting kind of fed up by people being insulted over someone simply using a word or phrase which we use in day to day life. I am absolutely NOT getting to the point of policing threads to this degree. Heck if we did I would have to edit out an awful lot of things in an awful lot of threads - no one is perfect. Its a turn of phrase and in no way does it insult or impinge or suggest a lack of sympathy for the struggles of the LGBT community when used in the context of the OP.

And with that said...any more comments which do not pertain to the OPs actual topic which is clearly a situation for him he would like to discuss...I am going to delete.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Snix

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »

Please leave the modding to the mods. I would also suggest trying not to be sensitive about something which is clearly not meant as an insult but the internet, and this forum, seems to be becoming a rather overly sensitive place recently.

If you dont like it...do you know what? You can simply not say something and walk away from the thread or report it to a moderator if you are so upset by it. There is no need to crash someone's personal thread about a personal situation with your own personal thoughts and opinions on a subject which was never being referred to to begin with.

I am getting kind of fed up by people being insulted over someone simply using a word or phrase which we use in day to day life. I am absolutely NOT getting to the point of policing threads to this degree. Heck if we did I would have to edit out an awful lot of things in an awful lot of threads - no one is perfect. Its a turn of phrase and in no way does it insult or impinge or suggest a lack of sympathy for the struggles of the LGBT community when used in the context of the OP.

And with that said...any more comments which do not pertain to the OPs actual topic which is clearly a situation for him he would like to discuss...I am going to delete.

this+10000
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:59:39 PM by Snix »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal