collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: my hubby embarrassed me at TRU  (Read 2341 times)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Re: my hubby embarrassed me at TRU
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
I'm a middle aged man, and my wife and I found the Canterlot set that has Starbeam Twinkle at Ross for cheap!  I was pretty pleased.  Anyway at checkout the lady says "OHHH! It must be someone's BIRTHDay!".  in my mind I blurted "Yes!! I'm so happy!!" (my bday is in a week or so). but I just couldn't get the words out! ;) so I just smiled instead... and my wife goes "Yep!"

Offline TwinkleEye

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • TwinkleEye's little sculptures
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 02:37:33 AM »
I'm a middle aged man, and my wife and I found the Canterlot set that has Starbeam Twinkle at Ross for cheap!  I was pretty pleased.  Anyway at checkout the lady says "OHHH! It must be someone's BIRTHDay!".  in my mind I blurted "Yes!! I'm so happy!!" (my bday is in a week or so). but I just couldn't get the words out! ;) so I just smiled instead... and my wife goes "Yep!"

The reaction from Your wife is cute!  :lol:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 06:12:12 AM »
I guess I must be lucky in where I stay I have never been judged or even questioned by someone for buying ponies. I would have no issue saying they were for me however if someone asked. But I guess sometimes you have to grow in to being confident enough or you just get so used to ponies being a part of your shopping basket, you need to own it. :P I completely understand the embarrassment and annoyance or upset over people being mean or judging.

When I started collecting it was not something I would perhaps admit to many people, but that passed within a year. Now I say pony on everyone and I am way passed the point of embarrassment...trust me I have done way more embarrassing things in my life than buy some toy ponies.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 06:22:11 AM »
The only person that can embarass me is me, and yes I've made a fool of myself in the store plenty of times, especially upon finding Diamond Rose when she first came to Sweden, and also the time when I found Frankies Fearleading fashion pack way after I thougth it had sold out, tucked in the back of some newer fashion packs. My poor BF, standing next to a grown woman, squeeing and jumping up and down in the toy aisle...

LOL I love it, sounds just like me XD
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

girlyponce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 08:06:14 AM »
My SO just deals with my pony searches - and reluctantly goes with me.  ^.^
My BFF is a collector, so we do a Walmart/Target/TRU run maybe 2-3 times a week to look for new things.

I usually just talk to the kids when I'm pony shopping - but as a female I don't get the strange looks that a lot of the male collectors do.

Not pony related, but I used to collect the Lego BB Minifigures, so I am very good at identifying what is in the package by feeling them. My BFF mentioned this and I sat there at TRU for 20 minutes feeling bags for these two kids. They got the exact ones they wanted - their mom made me stay so they could open them right after check out & then praised my skill. Embarrassing as all heck, but I'm glad the kids got what they wanted.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
The adults probably think I'm a mom- until they see me going through each pony (and MH and Novi doll) looking in the back - picking a few up, considering them, putting them back or into my cart... not sure I see too many moms doing that.

The kids always seem to know I'm looking for myself  :lol:  I think it often makes them take another look at the ponies to see whether they might be missing out on something...

I guess I'm not an entirely "out" collector though-  when I get to the cash register, there is inevitably a remark about "well some little girl is sure going to be lucky!"   I just nod or say "Yep, she sure is."

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
Lol, I usually shop with one or both of my kids so the cashiers usually assume it's for them. That is until they ask who it's for and my little one goes "they're for mommy!"

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
heehee! Before I got my wisdom teeth taken out, my husband was being sooo sweet and bought be both of the Crystal Princess Twin packs at Target. The cashier asked me who my favorite character was! I told her mostly Fluttershy, but also a lot of background characters. I think she knew the toys were for me! =D Sometimes cashiers ask me silly questions like you guys mentioned, but I always mention the toys are actually for me! x'D Sometimes shocked faces peopel make are priceless! I remember BABW the employee asked if the pony plushies I made were for me and I replied yes, she said she also bought them herself! My husband on the other hand is very shy and says the pony stuff @ hottopic he buys are actually gifts for me! x'D

momo_no_hime

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »
I mostly end up embarrassing myself! :blush: Before Christmas I was at WalMart and had an armload of ponies and Monster High stuff. An older lady approached me and said, "I just don't know what to get my grandkids these days! You must have little girls!" To which I replied, "Nope, they're for me and my friends!" The lady slowly started backing away from me. XD I said something about MH being popular with little girls and quickly left the aisle! I've found it's just easier to lie and say they're for a friend's kid.

And my cover of "they're for a friend's kid" is totally blown when I start checking blindbag numbers or call my friend to tell her what MH dolls are there. XD

PandoraAnesidor

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
FlashSentry I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. One thing that might make you feel better though, is that I have noticed that parents call their kids to them when I am in the aisle too--and then usually scold them for "getting in that lady's way". It may be that they just want to be sure their kids aren't pestering you!

One time I was at WalMart looking for ponies, two employees approached me and one very pointedly asked me if I needed help finding anything. She seemed almost irritated with me, and I got very self-conscious, worrying that perhaps I had spent too much time browsing and she thought I was planning to steal something. (I take a LONG time to decide on my purchases). However, as I was leaving, I found her and the other employee, a male, shall we say, having some public displays of affection! So really, they were just irritated that a customer was in their section ruining their "fun".  :lol:

diamondshy

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
And my cover of "they're for a friend's kid" is totally blown when I start checking blindbag numbers or call my friend to tell her what MH dolls are there. XD

Not so much for me--my cover is that my little niece collects them and she thinks it's magic when I can pick out her favorites from the box!
...Which, incidentally, is partially true.  XD

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »
hahaha i'm sorry but i find your husband hilarious  :lol:  i can imagine how you felt though  :blush:

my kids are the ones who embarrass the crap out of me, like my 5yr old son yelling down the aisles (he is very noisy), do you have this one mummy or you have this one look look, its twi....etc, while the littlest one just grabs everything of the shelves then has a tantrum when i try to put them back   :yikes:
it does make me feel better when i do walk away with something............ or come home and have a glass of wine.  :wine:

my hubby story is i think i have grounded him down with my mlp collecting, my mum is here staying for the school holidays and my little girls 3rd bday and she put her stuff in our room and i have finally after soooooooooooo many years finally got my whole g1 collectiong out on display cos i am so sick of it sitting in box's for years on end and i am usually very private about my mlp collecting but this time i am to old, tired and busy to care who see's it and what they say sooo my mum said to husband, "wow what do you think about all those colourful plastic ponies in your bedroom?" and dear husbands reaction was a cross between Lurch from the Addams Family "arrrgghhh" and Big Macs "YYYYEP"  :silly: :silly:

when he goes toy shopping with me he doesn't go near the pink aisle, he is down the blue toy aisle pretending to buy HotWheels for our son, so  :lol: :biggrin: :P , since the g4 buying his HotWheel collection is getting really big  :stunned:

Post Merge: July 22, 2013, 09:51:35 PM

Lol, I usually shop with one or both of my kids so the cashiers usually assume it's for them. That is until they ask who it's for and my little one goes "they're for mommy!"
hahah love it............and your sig :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:51:35 PM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »
Hah- outed by the kids! 

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
Hah- outed by the kids!

Lol yeah. Sometimes they even say "they're for mommy to paint" which always causes the cashier to look at me funny.

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
Maybe next time he embarrasses you like that you could very loudly say

'I tell you what honey lets go get that cream you wanted for the massive spot on your butt'

:biggrin:

:devious: hehe haha i like your sense of humor  :bigups:

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal