collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: my hubby embarrassed me at TRU  (Read 2343 times)

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: my hubby embarrassed me at TRU
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »
Aww hey dont feel embarrassed! Collecting ponies is something you should take lots pride in! Ponies are awesome, why not shout to the world you love my little ponies?! My husband used to get embarrassed by me buying ponies but LOL he is used to it now!

I dont care what people think about me. Its my money, my choice! Yes I collect pretty pink ponies and people need to get over that or they are the immature one (been called immature for even simply watching the show). I am a very free-spirited youth.... I am gonna do what I want and not feel any shame! =P
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:44:52 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline lemonice

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
I'm lucky enough to have a boyfriend who doesn't mind my collecting ponies and doesn't think it's silly. He'd never embarrass me like that. He says he'll never remember the names of all the G1 ponies, though today he managed to remember what CP stands for  :biggrin:

same here.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »
Oh man. I don't have any pony shame, but I think that would have earned any husband of mine a good pinch for social graces.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

kirei_na_sakura

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
 I'm sorry you were embarrassed and then weren't able to find any ponies to boot. :(

Eaglefeather

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »
Funny, funny stories!  :biggrin: I'm sorry you were embarrased though.

Sometimes it's a little awkward for me to go down the toy isles alone, but I try not to care because I love ponies too much. :)

Several times in kindergarten, I wanted to bring some of my mom's Beanie Babies in for show-and-tell. She would remind me, "Don't tell anyone they are your mother's. Please."  :lol:

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
If I were the other "pony lady," I would have turned around and talked with you. I live for times when I see other pony people in the store!
My husband WOULD point out the other lady for me, though, so I could go and talk to her! I'm really hard to embarrass, and completely unashamed of my pony habits, so it's a good thing he's not easy to embarrass either!
I'm sorry he was upsetting in the store, though. He should know better, and I'm sure he has one or two things that he doesn't want dragged out in public. Maybe next time you could loudly discuss his collection of teacups with him- it doesn't matter if he collects them or not! (Teacups was NOT the first thing that came to mind, there, but it was the first thing that I could actually write on a PG-13 site!)
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
Funny, funny stories!  :biggrin: I'm sorry you were embarrased though.

Sometimes it's a little awkward for me to go down the toy isles alone, but I try not to care because I love ponies too much. :)

Several times in kindergarten, I wanted to bring some of my mom's Beanie Babies in for show-and-tell. She would remind me, "Don't tell anyone they are your mother's. Please."  :lol:

You can tell her we relate!  ^.^

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Iris Patch

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
Your hubby embarrassed you, but for me it's the opposite, I like to tease my husband. ;D I honestly think it's awesome he's started collecting, I help him out where I can, like point out sales or places carrying the bling bags he's after. But since he's embarrassed about it anyway, it is just my nature to pick on him lovingly. ;)

I am completely unabashed about my hobby, and sometimes I just can't help it, I'll exclaim "YESSS!" when I find something I've been looking for. xD With Pokémon collecting, I'm worse, I remember one time I found a new Arcanine thing I'd never seen before and I gasped out loud. But I would never pretend like the toys are for anyone but me. If anybody has a problem with it, well, I don't care. ^_^ I admit a certain priveledge of being a very young-looking woman though, I might be more bashful if I looked closer to my real age or if I was a man.

On a semi off-topic note, I talked to a brony at TRU a couple days ago! I didn't get his name though, I wonder if he's on here? :D
I think it was the first time I ran into a fellow collector while shopping. Usually I am weaving past kids and families when I'm trying to peruse the pony aisle.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:23:09 AM by Iris Patch »

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
Awww that's funny, I can understand why you would feel embarrassed about him talking like that.

My husband is so supportive and not embarressed at all by the pony collecting. he's constantly on the look out for ponies whether it's online or in the store.

I don't know why anyone should feel embarrassed about collecting MLP, we used to collect diecast hotwheels and matchbox, and whenever we went in stores 9/10 times it was other adult collectors amd dealers that we were seeing digging through the displays looking for the treasures.

We love collecting them :)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
Maybe next time he embarrasses you like that you could very loudly say

'I tell you what honey lets go get that cream you wanted for the massive spot on your butt'

:biggrin:
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

FlashSentry

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
If I were the other "pony lady," I would have turned around and talked with you. I live for times when I see other pony people in the store!
My husband WOULD point out the other lady for me, though, so I could go and talk to her! I'm really hard to embarrass, and completely unashamed of my pony habits, so it's a good thing he's not easy to embarrass either!
I'm sorry he was upsetting in the store, though. He should know better, and I'm sure he has one or two things that he doesn't want dragged out in public. Maybe next time you could loudly discuss his collection of teacups with him- it doesn't matter if he collects them or not! (Teacups was NOT the first thing that came to mind, there, but it was the first thing that I could actually write on a PG-13 site!)

:lmao: :haha: :lmao: :haha: :snicker:

OK that was hilarious. I needed a good laugh. Thank you for posting that! lol
I HOPE I'm not opening up a can of worms here so please don't take my post personally or in the wrong light. Hope I don't regret posting this but I thought I'd add some of my experiences to the mix.
I've had several embarrassing/weird/rude experiences before. Being tall, muscular & male- it can be really awkward..

In fact, one happened just the other day when I bought my first blind bags. I paid for 3 blind bags at the register and the nosy cashier just looked at me and basically started giggling. I don't remember what she said exactly (must've blocked it out). But I was really tired and hot from the heat outside and she stunned me with her questioning. I was basically like "huh?"..  :blink: And she continued "Well they usually buy these for little girls...so"  :mad: Just to silence her I told her "Oh, they're for a friend." But it was really awkward. And I had never bought any blind bags before. Nice first experience. lol :shocked:
Honestly she's lucky I wasn't in a bad mood or my response might have been quite different...  :duh: :throw: :angry: :hmm:

Once as a kid I was buying an import Sailor Moon doll and the guy at the register was talking to another man. When I started to pay for the doll the man starred at me and laughed and said "Really? you're buying a doll?".  :cry:
I was so young and stunned I didn't know how to respond or what to say or do. The cashier sort of came to my rescue and was like "Hey, this is a collector's item man." He was doing it just to make the sale of course but it helped a little. The doll cost a pretty penny (around $35) and the little shop needed the $ so of course he wanted it sold. But yeah, it was a bad experience and I still remember it to this day. :huh: The joke is on that guy though, because that doll is now worth a ton of $ and I got it for a great price. :lol: :biggrin: :P
Stuff like this has happened my whole life but now that I'm bigger, stronger, wiser & older I can actually defend myself from such harsh random scrutiny. First of all whose business is it what we spend our hard earned money on anyway? Do you pay my bills? How does me buying a toy pony affect you in any way rude nosy obnoxious person? So what if I'm an adult buying toys. How do you know that I'm not buying it for my kids or for a relative or as a gift for someone?

I constantly get starred at when in the pony aisle or in a toy section. I guess I'm "intimidating" to some people. :lol: The worst HAS to be when parents grab there kids quickly and move away from me or they make it really obvious and yell out "COME HERE JENNY" or whatever the kids name is.. This happens a lot when Im just walking by people.. Like Im not even stopped or doing anything. It's odd & definitely hurts somewhere inside of me, but oh well. Is it my fault you abandon your kids & let them stray miles away from you while you do other things in another part of the store? Hold there hands or put them in your cart for Pete's sake. I'm not doing anything wrong, just browsing the pony area... Or when the workers give you weird looks, like why are you even in this section and they look at you like you're going to steal something.. watching you like a hawk. :cry: When you haven't done anything wrong at all. Happens all the time. I'm already used to it but it still stings. I've definitely learned to not care as much but yeah sometimes people make it SO HARD when quite frankly it's really none of their business.

It's a hard life being a pony collector or "brony" sometimes. But I am who I am and love what I love. And I won't change for anyone. :cool:

Iris Patch

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »
I admit I have always wondered what the experience would be like buying ponies as a man without kids... really sorry to hear you've faced a lot of abuse and undue suspicion. u_u You're right that it's no one's damn business what you do with your money.

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Ehh people need to get over themselves.  There is no such thing as normal in my opinion.  Also at least our hobby holds value, so if we do ever need to sell for any reason at all it's there. I would rather collect something I love and keeps it value then spend it out on one night drinking or something like that.

Once I was at toys r us with my 3 year old niece. She had a pinkie pie and I had a Sunset shimmer in the cart.  My niece picks them up and we are having a conversation and the women in front of us was overhearing and had this look of awe on her face, the. She heard Audrey say here is your pony and hands me sunset shimmer and she babbles on about how many ponies I have.  The women got a funny look on her face and turns back around shaking her head. While I happily continue talking to Audrey about all the other characters and how applejack is her absolute favorite. Because of my goodness it's so terrible to enjoy something that my niece also enjoys.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:54:35 PM by slj84 »

SajiNoKami

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
I have had people try to embarrass me before, but I don't react, so hence: not fun. Now they just try to help. Any anytime I am asked if I want gift receipt: "Nawh, they are for me."
 ^.^

Offline missbonbon

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 07:21:08 PM »
I would leave my hubby at home if he embarrassed me. I don't mind what people think of me collecting MH dolls and ponies - but I have social anxiety so if he would say something like that to me, loud enough for the other person to hear, I'd be embarrassed.

I'm lucky though, my hubby is sweet and he collects Transformers so he understands my collections :)

Please visit my photobucket to see my princess variant wish list. Photos borrowed from Shelti's site with permission. If they are your photos and don't want them on my link, please let me know, I will take them down right away!

Missbonbon's Princess Variant Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal