collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ATTENTION PLEASE! Protecting your photos.  (Read 2486 times)

Shimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: ATTENTION PLEASE! Protecting your photos.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
This will certainly help with those images that show up on google since so many people just steal whatever they find there. Good to know how to resize it ourselves too, very informative! :)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »
Thanks, admin team, for protecting the Arena and its users!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Its gonna be a pain having to log in at uni if I just want to check something quickly but I understand you are just doing it to protect us.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

GoodyGumdrop

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »
I don't post pics very often (but I will probably do more so in the future now that I have a nicer camera). However, the thought of someone using my pics to sell their merchandise on Ebay is infuriating! IMHO using someone else's pics to sell a product is false advertisement, not to mention just outright stealing of someone else's work (their photographs). Its a shame this is becoming such a problem.

So Photobucket has an program that will automatically add watermarks to your pics? Forgive my ignorance, but where, and how? I don't use Photobucket that often, but I would like to figure out how to watermark my pics using Photobucket so some scammer doesn't reuse them on Ebay.

Offline RavenWolf

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
Thats horrible that people are stealing pictures and using them other places and worse taking credit for them. :(

Um, I was just wondering, if it's considered stealing only if you use the pictures elsewhere on the web? or if simple saving the picture to your computer is considered stealing it? I know I'll sometimes see a picture I really like and I'll save it to my computer to use as a desktop background or screen saver slid show. It never occurred to me that it might be considered stealing the image.  :blush:

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
So Photobucket has an program that will automatically add watermarks to your pics? Forgive my ignorance, but where, and how? I don't use Photobucket that often, but I would like to figure out how to watermark my pics using Photobucket so some scammer doesn't reuse them on Ebay.

Yes, and it's pretty simple to use.  All it takes is for you to upload your picture/pictures.  Once it is uploaded there is the option to edit. Click edit, then click Advanced Editor, a window will pop up with your tool options.  If you click the Big A it will take you into where you can type your text.  Just type in your name or whatever title you are using for your pictures, you can also change the font, color, size etc.  Click ok, save and you are good to go.

I hope that made sense  :blush:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »
Thats horrible that people are stealing pictures and using them other places and worse taking credit for them. :(

Um, I was just wondering, if it's considered stealing only if you use the pictures elsewhere on the web? or if simple saving the picture to your computer is considered stealing it? I know I'll sometimes see a picture I really like and I'll save it to my computer to use as a desktop background or screen saver slid show. It never occurred to me that it might be considered stealing the image.  :blush:

I'm not sure what the law officially says, sadly. I would imagine, however, it wouldn't be unethical to have the image on your private computer just for your own viewing. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could tell us.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
First off, thank you mods :hug:

Hmmm I think generally you wouldn't get in trouble for saving a picture to your own PC for a desktop background or to look at when you want. However if you did that and then say tried to pass it off as yours or reuploaded it somewhere else you could get in trouble.

Hence why I keep my Photobucket as private now, especially for my art pieces. Never had anyone steal my stuff but Photobucket people seem to think is a 'free for all' sometimes.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »

I'm not sure what the law officially says, sadly. I would imagine, however, it wouldn't be unethical to have the image on your private computer just for your own viewing. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could tell us.

I don't know about the legality, but I personally wouldn't be upset if someone saved my image to their computer for a background or screensaver.  I'd only be bothered if they tried to claim it as theirs or repost it elsewhere without permission or credit.  Even still, I'd prefer to be asked.  I've had plenty of people ask me if they could use my images on DA and I almost always say yes.  I know of at least 3 people who actually have one of my drawings as a tattoo.

So I'd still say you should ask, just to be polite.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »
Thanks for the info SDS!! :) I hope I don't see the photo I took for the Derby on ebay...  >_<
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »
I could move that Derby donation thread out of the public eye. :)
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »
Thanks SDS!  I'm currently in photography school and one of the biggest things we are talking about is protecting your rights to your photos so this hits home to me.  The best thing though is that once you, the photographer, take that image and have it stored in your computer, that image is yours and you do have the copyright to it so you can request it be taken down from any website that is using it without your permission provided you can prove it is yours.  The best thing to do is to embed your name and copyright info into the metadata of the photo if at all possible.

I don't think you'll get in a whole lot of trouble for keeping it on your personal computer as long as the person doesn't specifically say no downloading of this image.  If I take images from online, I always make sure that I have the original owner's information attached to that photo somehow so that I know who it belongs to.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »
thanks for the post, SDS! I need to remember to do that with a lot of my images that don't already have the watermarks. However, if members start using watermarks, remember to put them on images where it's a little harder to edit the watermark out without someone knowing...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
Tahnk you so much for looking out for us. I was wondering why the images weren't there until I logged it. I understand now, thank you for the clarification.

Thank you for the pointers on resizing too! I always forget the tags
~Foxtale~

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
Thanks for looking after us sds :hug: what would we do without you!? Xx
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal