collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony Mommy of the Year Contest  (Read 3725 times)

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
Re: My Little Pony Mommy of the Year Contest
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
I don't think they counted the structures.  I would guess they were in the background because it was an appropriate MLP background and looked cool.  XD  What was the Lady Flutter controversy?  O_o
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
I don't think they counted the structures.  I would guess they were in the background because it was an appropriate MLP background and looked cool.  XD  What was the Lady Flutter controversy?  O_o
Oh,  my friend bought the Lady Flutter that I wanted, the one I was supposed to get for my birthday but didn't.  It was crushing to me at the time, and kind of dimmed my interest in ponies as a kid.

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline babyblueducky

• That's Quacktastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • That's quack-tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
she got married back in 2009. thanks to relcekestia playing detective, i found this. but i dont think she is on facebook, no luck finding her there. cant find anything else.

http://www.bakersfield.com/applause_archive/weddings/x1124004653/Mr-and-Mrs-Kenneth-Albert-Jacobson

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
she got married back in 2009. thanks to relcekestia playing detective, i found this. but i dont think she is on facebook, no luck finding her there. cant find anything else.

http://www.bakersfield.com/applause_archive/weddings/x1124004653/Mr-and-Mrs-Kenneth-Albert-Jacobson

Quote from the above page:
At the conclusion of the ceremony the couple released dozens of gorgeous live Monarch butterflies.

THAT IS AWESOME! How the heck do you get to do that? Where do you order dozens of butterflies? I wanna do that but just for fun!
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline ranchlamb

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/iluvsassybunny/index.html
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
Wow That little girl had alot. Of course I've been guilty of giving my daughter a ton of ponies. When My 4 year old reached a Plastic bin full I stopped buying them.

THAT IS AWESOME! How the heck do you get to do that? Where do you order dozens of butterflies? I wanna do that but just for fun!
I saw a TV Add where you can order a caterpiller kit. That is probably what they did.

Now with that being said, You all are kinda reaching creepy status.  :P

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
Wow That little girl had alot. Of course I've been guilty of giving my daughter a ton of ponies. When My 4 year old reached a Plastic bin full I stopped buying them.

I saw a TV Add where you can order a caterpiller kit. That is probably what they did.

Now with that being said, You all are kinda reaching creepy status.  :P

Lifestyles of the Rich and Pony Famous!

And apparently it's popular, I just did a search for release butterflies at a wedding and you get a whole bunch of sites where you can order them from, etc.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:25:58 PM by KarentheUnicorn »

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
Whoa, lucky kid!!!  There's no way my parents could have afforded all those ponies (and probably wouldn't have been ok buying so many even if we had the money) when I was a kid.  And I was only 1 when the contest happened anyway, so I had no ponies yet.

How neat that you found her though!  I wonder how creepy we would look if she ever stumbled upon this page...?  :blink:  :lmao:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 03:22:29 AM »
Whoa, lucky kid!!!  There's no way my parents could have afforded all those ponies (and probably wouldn't have been ok buying so many even if we had the money) when I was a kid.  And I was only 1 when the contest happened anyway, so I had no ponies yet.

How neat that you found her though!  I wonder how creepy we would look if she ever stumbled upon this page...?  :blink:  :lmao:

Lol! This was my thought...if the woman ever googles herself she ll no doubt find a link to this thread as well now! I think I would be a little freaked out!

I only ever had about 15-20 ish ponies as a little girl so alas I would never have managed to compete! But her collection looks lovely!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 06:52:50 AM »

Lol! This was my thought...if the woman ever googles herself she ll no doubt find a link to this thread as well now! I think I would be a little freaked out!

I only ever had about 15-20 ish ponies as a little girl so alas I would never have managed to compete! But her collection looks lovely!

Well the newspaper article was public so I don't think it would be considered creepy to discuss the article or show it to other collectors? It was in a national magazine. I've seen others post articles on collectors in magazines and such, I don't know that this is that much different.

I don't say we should hunter her down but I think it's okay to wonder where she is now and if she still loves MLP. Not saying we should show up at her doorstep demanding to see her ponies.

I think it's awesome that even back then Hasbro was appreciating the collector and having the contest, etc. Seems like hasbro was already aware that people collected the ponies and it wasn't just kids tearing up they're toys and moving on to the next toy to destroy. They must have understood that ponies inspired kids/adults to take care of they're ponies and treat them more like a valuable object than just plastic junk.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 07:00:06 AM »
At the conclusion of the ceremony the couple released dozens of gorgeous live Monarch butterflies.

Well, I don't know if this is the same thing.  But I know someone whose cousin got married, and they gave each of the guests an envelope before the ceremony, which turned out to each have a living butterfly in it.   Unfortunately they didn't TELL the guests, so a lot of the envelopes got squashed or sat on.

It sounded horrible to me.   I mean, they may just be insects but they're still living creatures, not props!  I can't imagine what it would be like for the little guys, being smushed into an envelope to begin with.

Hopefully this was something different.  Maybe they had a jar of them that they let go or something.

As far as the "My Little Pony Mommy" contest goes, ehhhh . . . am I the only one who thinks it's sort of . . . in bad taste?  Isn't it really just rewarding a kid for having rich parents?   "Wow, Sally, you have twenty ponies and Rachel only has two.  Clearly you love your ponies MORE." 

I mean, I like the concept of acknowledging the love of ponies, but I wish it had been based something from the kids, like poems or songs or drawings, not just "I have X many ponies."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:04:30 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 08:38:01 AM »
I do love my ponies more.  ;)

You are right about the rewarding a rich kid. It would probably have been better PR if they had donated a bunch of ponies to kids who had nothing. We were pretty poor growing up but I had about 20 ponies by the time I donated them to my little sister. I had the first Pretty Pony in '82 when I was 5, and got a few every year. I was pretty horse-crazy though.

You guys should work for the CIA. I don't think it's a creepy thing, I think everyone just wants to be the one to brag about buying 2000 ponies for $40 at her garage sale ;)

Ok, I made a list and it was 22 ponies :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:09:30 AM by Salli »

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
I'm super jelaous :O I had two ponies when I was little and loved them very much. I bought myself two more when I was 10 and those are at least in perfect condition. But that many would have been heaven, I was crazy about horses, but my mum was poor and couldn't afford that many toys.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2012, 09:40:04 AM »
I think they mostly came from grandparents. 2 ponies! That makes me sad. Hasbro should have given you the 20 pony prize. Please tell me you have more ponies now...

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »

Well, I don't know if this is the same thing.  But I know someone whose cousin got married, and they gave each of the guests an envelope before the ceremony, which turned out to each have a living butterfly in it.   Unfortunately they didn't TELL the guests, so a lot of the envelopes got squashed or sat on.

I don't think we can hold everyone responsible for what happened at one persons wedding can we? One small group of wedding guests were not responsible and they're butterflies got smashed so it must be a horrible idea for everyone?

Actually doing a search of the internet you find out it's not just some random person going out into the forest, collecting wild butterfies and giving them as gifts for people to set free at a wedding or to smash or put in and envelope.

It sounded horrible to me.   I mean, they may just be insects but they're still living creatures, not props!  I can't imagine what it would be like for the little guys, being smushed into an envelope to begin with.

Horrible? really? I dislike spiders but I rarely kill them; I'm the Fluttershy of ponyland when it comes to other creatures.

It does not sound horrible to me.  In fact I think it helps the species by releasing more butteflies into the wild.

I THINK It would be beautiful and inspiring. Thats how I feel about it and thats how I prefer to look at it. I prefer to look at the good side of it instead of finding the worst case situation and then assuming that is the norm everything.

Hopefully this was something different.  Maybe they had a jar of them that they let go or something.

I'm sure there are bad butterfly farms but I'm sure we can find a bad situation that happened for everything and use it to say something is a horrible idea. Doesn't mean every butterfly release at a wedding went badly or was bad.

As far as the "My Little Pony Mommy" contest goes, ehhhh . . . am I the only one who thinks it's sort of . . . in bad taste?  Isn't it really just rewarding a kid for having rich parents?   "Wow, Sally, you have twenty ponies and Rachel only has two.  Clearly you love your ponies MORE."

I mean, I like the concept of acknowledging the love of ponies, but I wish it had been based something from the kids, like poems or songs or drawings, not just "I have X many ponies."

I had no idea my parents were rich. I mean ya know, I do feel a little offended considering  I had close to her numbers back then so that makes me feel like I'm being put into the 'rewards of the rich' group. I had all the playsets just like that little girl did and probably between 250-300 - I was still actively collecting so I probably had more by the time the article came out in 1989.

Personally I'd hate to tarnish other peoples childhood memories of ponies by deeming them or they're parents rich/spoiled/undeserving. The idea offends me and I don't exactly know how to put into words how I feel about it because now it seems like I have too look back and think I had things that I didn't deserve simply because I had more ponies than most.

I don't see that hasbro was trying to come at it as lets reward the rich kids but I guess if the negative view of the situations works  then I can't change minds by sharing childhood pony memories.

It would probably have been better PR if they had donated a bunch of ponies to kids who had nothing.

I remember rightly the pony Lil' Tot was a charity pony from the 80's for toys for tots. So there are examples of charity ponies.

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2012, 09:54:52 AM »
I think it's closer to 100 ponies now ^^, I have made up for the shortage of ponies in my childhood years. That's probably one reason why I feel a strong need to have loads of them now :) . I don't feel that it hurt me not having loads of toys, but it's nice to be able to get ponies now that I wanted then.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal