collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Storage  (Read 667 times)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Pony Storage
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:36:20 AM »
I need some storage advice.  I might have to store my ponies for a while in a storage unit. It's climate controlled between 68-85 degrees F.  Is this acceptable for them? 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

lunawolf

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pony Storage
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:14:51 PM »
My guess is that you want to avoid mould and mildew.  So should be dry I'm guessing?  And not too warm.  I think most storage units are pretty well climate controlled I hope!

That being said mine had been through lots of temperature throughout the years.  I had them wrapped in plain tissue paper in case of moisture and that was it. 

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:42:42 AM »
Thanks!  I'm hoping the storage units are dry.  I'm a little worried about the upper range of the temperatures.  85 is uncomfortable to me.  But it's not an extreme heat either.  That's the highest they are supposed to get in the summer. 

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
I agree with what is said. Make sure they are wrapped in white tissue paper. I have mine in clear ziplock baggies partially opened. I know that plastic needs to breathe.  I worry that I overloaded everybody so I may have to switch some containers around. Thankfully I haven't had a problem with storage since my collection is inside a cool basement. So I was very lucky in that respect.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:56:51 AM by SkyCakes »

lunawolf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
A thought, if you are worried about moisture, they do make things that absorb moisture - I think people use them in places like bathrooms or basements?  You could put some of them in their with them to help.  Maybe not too close, but enough that if there was a lot of excess it might help.

I also learned that however the pony's hair looks when you store it, it will stay that way!  LOL  So wrap up hair carefully on the neck so that it doesn't stick out when you take them out.  Tails I twirl and pull forward in between the leg to keep them from getting frizzy.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 05:57:51 AM »
I forgot to mention to use silica gel packets most get them from shoe stores, ect. They help keep away moisture for storage. I have a whole bunch that I put in my containers.

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »
^^silica gel packets! I had to store my collection for a while while we moved and I'm glad I took the extra step to protect them. Also, some poses get a little warped easier than others...like Quackers pose! It was tough for some of my ponies to stand on their own again. I would make sure to not pack those ponies too tight, maybe bubble in between the legs to keep them from getting compressed?
ISO UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire, and complete jewelry babies :cool:

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
I keep my ponies in a sealed plastic under-the-bed bin. They have been in my unheated garage, it gets very cold in the winter and they've been all right. I check on them a few times a year. So any climate controlled storage area is sure to be fine. I'd be more worried about extreme heat.

I like the silica gel idea!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:02:27 PM »
Thank you everyone. I like the silica gel pack idea.  And I'm more worried about the heat than anything too.  Was worried that 85 is too hot because it's warmer than I'd keep my house.  But it's not extremely hot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal