collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need recommendations for a good colored pencil sharpener  (Read 3220 times)

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
Need recommendations for a good colored pencil sharpener
« on: November 02, 2020, 11:33:10 PM »
I'm primarily a traditional artist - I draw with pencil, ink with a felt-tip pen, and color with colored pencils (previously I favored crayons, but colored pencils blend better and at their best have better control).

However, a frequent frustration of mine is inconsistent results when sharpening. Sometimes they'll sharpen fine with no hassle, but at other times problems like the pencil randomly snagging on the blade and/or the pencil being sharpened but the forces involved breaking the newly-sharpened tip loose from the core. Even when I'm being gentle...
It's annoying, especially with the inconsistency, and it artificially shortens the working life of the pencils.
I suspect the sharpener is the main culprit - it's just a basic 2-bore sharpener, and a plastic-bodied one at that.

So can anyone please recommend a good sharpener to me?
should be perma-moderated

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Need recommendations for a good colored pencil sharpener
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 04:48:30 AM »
I buy my calligraphy supplies from this site, and everything is really nice quality.

I would trust the ratings from getting something from here, plus they a very detailed review page..
https://www.jetpens.com/blog/the-best-pencil-sharpeners/pt/710

ETA: I'm not saying you need to buy from that site. :) It's just a really good resource.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:28:06 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »
this is going to sound weird but I love my wall-mount heavy duty sharpener - maybe you had one in school?

https://www.amazon.ca/X-Acto-Table-Wall-Mount-Sharpener-EPI1031/dp/B00006IEDY

mine is an antique but this is a good example
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline pixiemouse

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 06:06:10 PM »
It could just be that your sharpener is now getting a bit dull. I'd look at the places where you buy your art supplies and see what they have on offer. Different pencils too sharpem differently, so you might need a few. I have a sharpener that has a little switch so I can choose if I want to make the point blunt or sharp which is pretty handy. Also some kinds of oencils are more prone to breakages, so there's a bunch of things to consider. Apparently some kinds you are even better of hand sharpening with a blade!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
I just use the most basic Staedtler single hole metal sharpener that exists (the 510) and sometimes have similar issues issues.  Apparently for colored pencils you want a larger sharpening angle so you should get something like one of those double-hole sharpeners - they have a hole for regular pencils and a hole with a larger angle for colored pencils.  My aunt swears by the Prismacolor premier sharpener for her colored pencils, but Staedtler makes them as well, and probably other companies.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 02:27:57 AM »
what sunpony says!
staedler and farber castell worked out great for me, but they are available everywhere in germany. ^^

https://www.amazon.ca/Faber-Castell-Grip-Trio-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B001P3LKPK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=faber+castell+pencil+sharpener&qid=1604485431&s=office&sr=1-3

i had this one for years - until it broke at the joint. ;) but it is quite nice , you can sharpen your pen to different lenghts!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline dragglereeka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 09:37:25 AM »
Yes to all these mentioned, my art teacher from school used to shave his pencils with a craft knife :blink: he insisted it was the best way to reduce waste.. I've never fancied trying in case I slice my finger off ! I find a sharpener designed for kohl eyeliner works well on waxy pencils (e.g crayola )

*Thankyou to Strawberry Swirl for my avatar*

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
I've tried that sharpen-with-knife method and never been able to nail it right. I will look into the products people have suggested.

However, I have to point something put:
sunpony, I am using a double-hole sharpener. I explicitly said as much. It's just not a very good one.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 07:37:23 AM »
I have had terrible luck trying to find a good colored pencil sharpener too.  I've tired Xacto but those end up devouring the pencil when I try to sharpen it.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 07:43:45 AM »
I am pretty sure you can buy replacement blades for staedler handheld sharpeners :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
I've tried that sharpen-with-knife method and never been able to nail it right. I will look into the products people have suggested.

However, I have to point something put:
sunpony, I am using a double-hole sharpener. I explicitly said as much. It's just not a very good one.

Ah I think I forgot the meaning of the word "bore"  :P  In that case I'm wondering if you just got a bad blade or if it's gotten dull.  I had one sharpener that just had problems from day one, all I could do was throw it out and replace it.

I am pretty sure you can buy replacement blades for staedler handheld sharpeners :) 

Cool! 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:34:19 AM by SunPony »
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
Yes to all these mentioned, my art teacher from school used to shave his pencils with a craft knife :blink: he insisted it was the best way to reduce waste.. I've never fancied trying in case I slice my finger off !

Yes!
I have been using craft knives, Stanley knives and scalpels for many years now to sharpen my pencils, both graphite ones and coloured ones.

Hold the pencil and cut-away from yourself to avoid injury; also, cutting with a sharp knife is more safe than cutting with a blunt one!

It's true, in my experience, cutting with a knife seems to cause fewer lead breakages compared to when using a sharpener.

Of course, there may be instances where you are not allowed to have knives in public. I have a special long-point sharpener (for my Blackwings) that I bought from London Graphics  (Covent Garden) for under 7 GB Pounds, but I cannot see it on their website; they do sell the Palomino Blackwing sharpeners, but they are rather expensive, here is a link to the results page:

https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=price&q=sharpener

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal