collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: nirvana hair and straightening irons  (Read 725 times)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
nirvana hair and straightening irons
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »
I've been meaning to get a flatiron or something for defrizzing and smoothing pony hair, especially some of my nirvanas. Well, today I found something promising on sale for $25, and I'd like to know if it would work well. It's actually a curling iron, but I figure I can just pull pony hair through without curling it, plus I might like to use it to curl my own hair sometimes (mine is already straight).

So this thing is ceramic, not just metal; is that good? And it's got 4 heat settings: course, medium, fine, and synthetic. I thought the low synthetic setting might be a good feature for pony use.

Of course I'm concerned about melting pony hair, especially nirvanas.  Ponies I have now that could use hair smoothing include Brazil Starshine, Peru Baby Medley, and Argie Gusty.

And something else just occurred to me: Is there any reason why I can't just use my clothes iron? It has really low heat settings. If I could just use that, then I woyldn't have to buy anything new.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:49:41 PM by kellyponyfeathers »
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: nirvana hair and straightening irons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:30:12 PM »
The flat-iron I have has 1-30 as its different heat settings and ceramic plates, and I'd be a bit hesistant to use something that I couldn't adjust the heat on to something really low. I know Greek hair takes the flat-iron pretty well, Brazilian does not unless you're SUPER careful, and even then it can still melt. I haven't tested Peruvian hair... Spanish hair seems to do alright, as does Argie hair. French hair responds well too.

I've been told that clothes irons are a no-no, but I don't recall what thread it was in or why. Do you have any baits you could test your iron on? I'd highly recommend that before jumping straight to Nirvanas. I have a manky G3 SLH Rainbow Flash that got to be my test subject when I started, and I'm glad I used her at first because my initial guesses on settings were too high :drunk: (started at 10, but now use 5 for G1s, 2-4 for Nirvanas, and 1s for Brazilians if I'm feeling daring).

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
Thanks, Glacia! Any idea what temperatures those numbers correspond to? The chart on this one says the "fine" hair setting heats up in the range of 230 to 300 degrees F. Unfortunately it doesn't say what the temp is for the synthetic setting, but it must be below 230. Does that sound good, or still too high?

And does anyone else have any tips?
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

SDstang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
it also helps to have conditioner in the hair while flat ironing. it is just a extra security to keeping the hair safe.

I pretty much agree with whats been said with Glacia, and Peru hair is good on a low setting as well. 

my iron is numbered 1-30 aswell, and I always turn it down as low as possible.  so I really can't help with temps, but you can curl your hair with a flat iron.  just search on youtube you'll find some awsome videos.  than you can get a 1-30 or whatever number it comes in. ceramic is also good :)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:23 PM »
I got my latest flat iron at Walmart for less than $20 and it is the best one I've used yet.  It goes 1-30 also, and I leave it on about 5 regardless of what hair is going through.  It's ceramic.  I have been redoing my Brazilians lately with no mishaps on that setting (lots of conditioner!).  I think the ONLY countries I haven't ironed at some point are Venezuela and Japan.  Argies and Mexicans work especially well, but really you can get amazing results on any country given enough time.  :)  The trick is to KEEP MOVING.  Don't let the iron sit, always be dragging it down the section you're working on.  Add more conditioner if needed and keep at it til you get the result you want. 

EDIT - And tiny sections!  The smaller the section of hair you work with at once the better the result.  And if you curl the iron as you go you can set the hair with a bit of a bob at the end so it won't just lay flat when you're done. 

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:16:50 PM »
It would be awesome if someone made a YouTube video demonstrating how to fix Nirvana hair with flat iron. I've never tried it, but it sounds like a lot of people have good results. :)

Offline yum-yum

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Yummie!
    • View Profile
    • ThePonyBusiness
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
I did this small tutorial on an Italian. >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPVCFXsch28<

I use a ceramic straightener with 4 different setting. I always use the lowest setting. Use conditioner and water and the hair always has to be moist when using it.

Everythings Peachy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
Mine work on mexicans and piggy ponies so I dont see why they wouldnt work on argie, japan ect... :biggrin: why not give it a try on the lowest setting. I also recco end the video good results! :biggrin: good luck with your nirvanas! :biggrin:

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »
 :worshippy: Wow, I am now a flat iron BELIEVER!   :worshippy:

I bought a cheap iron at Target this evening ($14.99, Conair, 25 settings, ceramic plates) & just ironed one of my frizzy hair Argies on setting 2. Amazing difference with less than 5 minutes of work. Now for the hundreds of other frizzy hair ponies I have... :faint:

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »
Let's see some before/after pics! :frolic: (I'm already a believer in the magic of the flat iron ;) I just love b/a pics)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
i use a clothes iron :blush: and have had great results with that :bigups:

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
I only ever use an iron on dry hair. I have a quick before and after of Brasil Heart Throb.
Here she is before at her old home:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And recently with her new best friend after a partial hair transplant in the front. :)

I have to say...Brasil hair was by far the easiest hair to tame out of any nirvana I've attacked with a flat iron!
Definitely THE most stunning adorable before and after I have done. Her hair length is loooooveeee, too.. Go short hair! >w<

Hair magic, courtesy of this flat iron and TLC!
Spoiler

"Chi Volume 3/4 Inch Flat Iron" set on "90"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:56:06 PM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »
chi she turned out magic! she really looks super :bigups:

love pkw xxx

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »
I hear dunking hair in boiling water straightens frizz? I have a Mexican skydancer I need to groom, but am afraid of messing it up. :(

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »
closet ~ that does work too :) i have found hot water and careful combing can smooth mild frizz. don't be scared of fixing up your mexican pony, the respond really well to grooming :)

love pkw xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal