collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Feeling bad about parting with only a certain generation- anyone else this way?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
So I've decided I have accumulated too many things (many I no longer want) and decided to sell some stuff. Already sold some other collections to the local second hand toy shop(though I miss a few things slightly, no big deal.)  I even found extra g1 ponies and accessories I can part with. Great overall, right?  Wrong!  Why you may ask? Because in my to part with box are some non double g3s. Why is this a problem? Because they are the only generation that I would part with non double ponies. I could never part with any other generation - be it 1,2 or 4 if I didn't have an extra (the only exception is G4- I keep one of each character but to keep the numbers low I generally don't keep different variations of each.) so, I feel like I'm singling out only G3, and I feel really bad about it!  >_<  I'm keeping my very favorites (trust me there are many I love) but quite a bit that I'm all "meh" about and can easily part with. Only G3 though. Anyone have something similar, where for some reason you feel bad about parting with certain ponies or generations?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:22:19 AM by princessluna11706 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
I guess I would feel the same way too If I ever were to part with ponies the G3s and G4s would go. Originally I thought I was only going to collect G1. Though G3 won me over with their cool designs so I started collecting them too and so and so on. I cant seem to get rid of any other ponies except my duplicates. I probably would get rid of my hello kitty collection and Strawberry shortcake before touching the ponies. I really want to downsize but my heart's not in it. :/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:20:28 PM by SkyCakes »

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
I can understand parting with G3's. The G3 line had a lot more quantity & variety than G2 & G4, so there's more to weed out. Keep what makes you happy, and let the rest go without too much regret. :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I already did this exact thing. I'm stupidly sentimental over pony stuff, but I downsized the G3s and I feel fine about it. I know they all went to good homes - I remember some went to Japan, and some went to a mother and her daughter who bought a whole bunch of them from me. A few really common ones went to the carboot sale, and got picked up there. All in all, I created space and they got new homes. I have kept the ones I like or that mean something, but G3 is not my generation, and so there is something liberating about not feeling the need to keep them all.

I couldn't sell all of them, though. I think it's important to pick the ones you care for and then only sell the ones you don't. I have a rule that anything I'm going to sell goes on the sale table/in the sale box and if I am fine with it being there, after a while it goes. If I'm not, it stays.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarRedRoses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • DA Gallery and Scraps
I unloaded all my G4s last year at the Fair, I kept Rarity and Trixie, and some blind bags. I'm still collecting Rarity things. You can get them back again any time, so don't feel bad. In the meantime they'll make someone else happy! 

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
Not even remotely. I got rid of all the FiM stuff a couple of years ago and it has given me the space to expand my G1 collections and I am so much happier for it  :)

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
I got rid of most of my G3s back around 2008 or so because I found I was just collecting them because they were MLP and not because I loved the line as a whole. Sometimes a gen doesn't click with us as much another but that's ok all and all :)

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline Aliyahbetd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
I got rid of most of my G3s back around 2008 or so because I found I was just collecting them because they were MLP and not because I loved the line as a whole. Sometimes a gen doesn't click with us as much another but that's ok all and all :)
I only started collecting recently, but I felt the same way about my g3s. I bought a lot from thrift stores just because they were ponies and I didn't want to leave empty handed, but I realized, I could use that money to buy a few g1s that would make me really happy instead.
Wishlist:
My Kingdom for Cranberry Muffins! :lovey:...
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379105.0.html

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
I think a lot has to do with what you relate a gen to. If you or your children grew up with a gen or have warm memories related to them it can be harder to part with them.

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I got rid of most of my G3s back around 2008 or so because I found I was just collecting them because they were MLP and not because I loved the line as a whole.

This! There are a few I like and will never part with, but for the most part this. I was collecting them mainly because they were MLP.  That's not reason enough!

I unloaded all my G4s last year at the Fair, I kept Rarity and Trixie, and some blind bags. I'm still collecting Rarity things. You can get them back again any time, so don't feel bad. In the meantime they'll make someone else happy! 

Rarity (and Luna hehe) is best G4 <3 I'd never ever get rid of those either!  I have an extra G4 or two back at home in NY I can get rid of at some point.  Did pick up Starlight Glimmer in Vietnam last week tho.  I didn't know you got rid of your G4s, are you focusing on G1 now?

I already did this exact thing. I'm stupidly sentimental over pony stuff, but I downsized the G3s and I feel fine about it. I know they all went to good homes - I remember some went to Japan, and some went to a mother and her daughter who bought a whole bunch of them from me. A few really common ones went to the carboot sale, and got picked up there. All in all, I created space and they got new homes. I have kept the ones I like or that mean something, but G3 is not my generation, and so there is something liberating about not feeling the need to keep them all.

I couldn't sell all of them, though. I think it's important to pick the ones you care for and then only sell the ones you don't. I have a rule that anything I'm going to sell goes on the sale table/in the sale box and if I am fine with it being there, after a while it goes. If I'm not, it stays.

I sort of did this once, I went through them and purged a lot, but I need to do this one more time!  Sometimes I feel "bad" for them, as I want every pony to be welcome in my herd, but yeah, reality is that it just can't happen.

Not even remotely. I got rid of all the FiM stuff a couple of years ago and it has given me the space to expand my G1 collections and I am so much happier for it  :)

I'd rather G1 things myself.  I did sell some G1 merch, but to make room for G1 ponies I really want.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I feel a lot better not being alone in this!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:30:32 PM by princessluna11706 »

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline Anitas_Mom

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Keep what makes you happy, and let the rest go without too much regret. :heart:

This says it all.

Handmade Plushies For Sale | Please PM me for Commission Information

Offline salemsparkler

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • TotallySparkler on Etsy
I can easily part with my G3s and G4s tbh.
I like the G3s though - but I am sure I will one day customise most of my common G4s anyway.

And I do agree if it gives you more space for something that is more important for you then go for it!

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
Its funny you started this thread, because I just sold off my entire G3 collection! I needed to clear some space, and needed fast cash and have no regrets. I could never part with the G4 and G1s I own though.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I parted with 90% of my G3 collection. I kept the ones I loved and sold the rest. I've purchased a few back that I re-fell in love with. And I've kept a few from finds in the wild that I liked, but that's the fun of pony collecting!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
I absolutely think its normal to feel the odd pang of regret about letting things go; they were your possessions and you will have had some kind of attachment to them (even if its minor). I have got rid of a lot of G3 and G4 items over the years and every time it was with some "oooooh....hmmmmm.....I kinda miss that" but I can also reassure you that you quickly move on from that. Collect what you enjoy, what you feel the most interest in - everythign else, another collector or kid will happily enjoy :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal