collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any Independent Consultants out there?  (Read 334 times)

Offline Talismarr

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Any Independent Consultants out there?
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:03:51 AM »
I am thinking of becoming a Partylite consultant! I have had a couple parties and have gone to a couple parties over the last 6 months with the same consultant and now I am thinking of becoming one myself. I love the product and the flexibility of the job is appealing. I also could really use a little bit extra income per month  :blush: All of my consultant's parties that I've gone to have been a lot of fun, so I think I would try to run my parties the same way she does. I am just a bit nervous about the whole 'running your own business' thing...

Is anyone here an independent consultant for any company? Partylite, Tupperware, Mary Kay etc ... do you have any advice or concerns to share? I would love to hear about your experiences!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Any Independent Consultants out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »
Well, I'm not, but when I was a kid/teenager, my mother sold tupperware and I when I got older I went with her and helped out.

My advice is going to sound odd, but as a kid from a family that this was part of, it seems worth mentioning just in case. Do you have a family (spouse, SO, children)? If so, be careful. It became a real problem for our family, especially between me and my mother. It can/will take alot of time away from your family. We fought all the time because she was always busy with her tupperware. She eventually let it go because it was making too much trouble. Then a few years later, when I was a teenager, she wanted to do it again(she really loves tupperware I guess). We talked about it before she started because of all the trouble it caused. This time instead of her just doing her tupperware thing and spending very little time with me, she included me. I helped her with all the organizing and went with her to the parties and the meetings when I wanted to. That was the agreement we made when she started and I was also to tell her if it started being a problem. That time, things worked out well. We had fun together bonding through her tupperware business. So if you have someone in your life that you are currently close to and spend quite a bit of time with, be aware of how this is affecting them. If possible, find ways to include them. I imagine this would be true with starting any business.

Oh and also, the harder you work, the more you will make. My mom made quite a bit selling tupperware when she put the time and energy into it. She made less when she took it more casually. So, you could likely make enough to support yourself/family doing this or you could make a bit of extra money on the side. It can also be alot of fun if you keep a positive attitude about it. One of my mom's favorite parts was the free stuff she could earn. I dunno if what you are doing works the same, but if it does, that could be a fun bonus too. I wish you luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Talismarr

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »
Thanks for your honesty! That is definitely something to keep in mind. I do have a boyfriend, but we live about an hour away from each other, so I pretty much only see him on my weekends off. I could perhaps try to keep parties to during the week, or the weekends that we're not together so he doesn't have to hear me talk about candles allll the time!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
Nope, but I was thinking about doing Mary Kay awhile back...even though I don't really wear makeup.  Going to someone elses party is always fun..and its nice to just spend you time and actually have it allotted.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Alexia

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://easternsunsetcreations.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
I tried being a Mary Kay consultant while in college, and also tried doing Cutco sales as well. It didn't work out for me, you really need to have an outgoing personality and be good with networking, going out meeting new people, and getting yourself out there.  I am too much of an introvert for it to work out well for, but if you have the determination to make it work even with a shy personality I am sure it is possible.  My other tip, is don't let it completely take over your life.  I have an Aunt who is a Norwex consultant, and that is her only job now, we used to be really close and could talk about everything, but now all of our conversations come back to being selling pitches and has really ruined our relationship.  So it can be hard to be dedicated to your job, but also learn to balance that with life with friends and family.

Offline Delphian

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »
AVOID anything like this! They are basically pyramid schemes. What Alexia was talking about is true. What these companies prey on is the fact that you'll work hundreds of hours extra for free because they label you an "independent." So the pressure is on for YOU to sell so YOUR MANAGER/RECRUITER gets richer. In turn, you find you have to pitch this product at everyone who will listen even if they're your own family. The only people making a significant amount of money in these are the people at the very top. You won't ever be at the top. Read http://www.pinktruth.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal