collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are some unappreciated and underrated pony generations  (Read 3016 times)

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What are some unappreciated and underrated pony generations
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 03:14:10 PM »
I like the original equestria girls a lot! I appreciate how they made the ponies anthro instead of straight up humans in cosplay.
I like to put the taller characters like Celestia or Chrysalis on monster high bodies :)

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 03:56:54 PM »
I kind of would’ve liked if there were actual human versions because in the animations the characters would look more human if they didn’t have colorful bodies. But maybe humans don’t exist in that world.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 03:30:47 AM »
G3.5! That gen seems to be the most universally hated due to the newborn baby animations (admittedly, not the best of pony media), but the pony line itself was pretty awesome. Each pony had a different mold, because each character was a different age! And had a different "standard" hairstyle! So it was really cool lining them up and seeing the difference in height/pose, and their hair, and seeing their characterization come through that way! I mean, Toola Roola with her bangs was adorable, and Cheerilee's pigtails? To die for!

Plus, the molds/faces especially were so expressive! They have such happy, playful little expressions, with big shiny eyes and bright smiles! One of my favorites is the 'bonus Pinkie Pie' that came with the most outrageous, wild curls - I love her!

It was Core 7, essentially, which is part of why it was hated I'm sure. But unlike the MLP FiM Mane 6, we had different molds and hair styles to differentiate the ponies and characterize them at a glance. If you ignore the show's input helping you to tell the characters apart, you'd quickly notice how MLP: FiM only used one mold for the longest time, and they just added horns or wings as needed.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 06:02:37 AM »
I'm still not a huge fan of G3.5 (though I will admit it's grown on me over the years), but I DO love the different molds. That was an awesome idea and one I really wish Hasbro would bring back!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 06:11:56 AM »
What I like about g3.5 mostly is the character designs. I really like the faces on the toys and I thought g3.5 toys were adorable so I started collecting more of them. Also I like the toy quality and hair I like to style pony hair a lot.

Offline fuzzysherbet

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 04:54:13 AM »
I'm gonna say pony life. I still do think they look a little weird, and I do still wish they weren't as pointy... but I still think they're pretty fun! Granted, I can't speak for the show as I've never seen it, but the brushable singles aren't that bad; I bought Potion Nova purely because she's a brand new character, and I was so happy with her, I actually wound up going back for a Trixie Lulamoon! Who, for the record, I definitely like better than my G4.5 glitter encrusted Trixie. They come with a bunch of neat add-ons (even if they aren't that great quality, the part of my brain that likes to open surprise packages like that enjoyed it), they don't look all that bad on display, and the hair quality is so nice! I definitely don't think pony life's the best generation, but it's certainly more fun than it looks at face value.

Offline yourpinkoverlord

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • McDonald's Pony
  • I, for one, welcome our new pony overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 11:17:55 PM »
Since people have already mentioned it I'll take the opportunity to talk about Pony Life. The toys honestly grow on you. I love the bodies, it's really the head holding them back. Their aesthetic is much closer to LPS than MLP, and yeah they're missing their jaws, and yeah they look like cats, but honestly, they're not bad at all. The hair is really soft and much better than later G4. I think some of their hair might even be softer than early G4! However, some of their eyes have a really cheap printed-on quality to them. It's really strange, I think only Wave 1 has that problem?

As for the cartoon...it's fine. I didn't really enjoy season 1; I keep calling it "a poor man's Unikitty." It had its moments and there's some surprisingly edgy humor at times if you're into that. When I say "edgy" I mean stuff like Fluttershy having an unstable streak ("Friendship is like a butterfly...that you can keep in a jar... *creepily whispers* ...forever."). The "edgy" one-liners were probably my favorite parts just for the juxtaposition. But yeah it was fine.

Season 2, however, was more consistently fun for me. They drop the so-so potion gimmick for...alternate dimensions and time travel. It's funny seeing where they can take the plot, really. Sure there's a lot less of that "edgy" humor I liked but the stuff I REALLY disliked was pretty much gone.

So yeah I'd give Pony Life a try if you haven't seen it. And don't judge it by the first episode, even Season 1 is better than the lackluster first episode.

So, I don't think Pony Life is really underappreciated or underrated. Overall both the toys and show are pretty average, but I do believe both are overHATED.

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 03:12:13 AM »
I'd say G2, although they've been getting much more love recently.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal