collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Strange things you did to/with your ponies when you were a kid.  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
Re: Strange things you did to/with your ponies when you were a kid.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »
I did forget one other thing that I did and still do, actually, which came up in another thread - I carry my ponies by the tails ;) And always have.

Tail Tug! I did that too and that's what I called it. I could carry so many in a bunch by the tail. Adults first then babies as they had shorter tails. I had to carry Applejack in the other hand though as she belonged to my brother (he gave her to me) and he managed to loose her tail and cover her in stickers that left a nasty residue.

I think my favourite thing to play was Pony-Olympics! But I had a small problem with all the races. I had 6 lanes but only two hands. There were only ever two finishers and my favourite always won.

I also decided that all the baby ponies needed foster parents if they didn't have one or if I hadn't got theirs yet. I think Streaky ended up with about 20 foster children and I had to keep a list so I could remember which parent had which kids :P

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
Ah ah so fun to read :lol:

When I was a kid, my room was gigantic and with all that place I did a village for my toys. They where the Sylvanian in the dollhouse, with a farm, a stabble, a forest, a zoo and a wheat field (it was a sheep fur) - the animals where all schleich. Then, the "Stabble yard" with the Show Stabble next to the Grand Champion stabble next to a cardboard shelf wich each compartement was a box for one of my Barbie horses...
They got their own carpet who was the grass fields for them. And because that carpet has square pattern, each square was a paddock. So they get to paddock all day and return to the stabbles for the night.
All the horses, including the ponies get their hay and grains everydays, plus water. I took care of all of them as real horses, and take them for a ride. The ponies where different because unrealistic so they also got a lot of extra.
Somethimes I planned meeting with all of these brands, it was fun.

I remember I took them everywhere, but the most stupid/crazy thing I did was to try that they ride the cat... They never did it really well, ponies are poor riders.

But I don't remember to actually play with them in the schoolyard, must admit I didn't had a lot of friends to play with. Very lonely child with crazy empire :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline centaurette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
This is probably the purest thread on this forum to date, honestly; i love talking about things like this, it brings me so much joy to hear about toys that are so well-loved!

i was a really anxious child (and still am for that matter!), and i was very neurotic about my toys, and my ponies. before and after i would play with them, i'd line them all up in some nonsensical order that made sense to me. i liked putting them in order so that their cutie marks all told a story when lined up (an example off the top of my head would be g3 pinkie pie and sky wishes; they would be at a party with balloons and kite flying, and so on), and then i'd choose which ones i wanted to play with.

some ponies were completely inseparable, though. like i would flip out (by that i mean, burst into tears and quickly reunite them) if one of my friends tried to play with one of them without the other. g2 light heart and fern could under no circumstances be separated. i don't know why, but it was something i was very particular about.

i also had a precious pockets pony, lil pocket, who i took everywhere. i'd always position the coin in my thumb so that i could slide the coin in and out smoothly, and that was something that i always did, being that i was literally always nervous, scared, etc. he was a major grounding tool for me, and to this day i still carry around at least one pony (and typically other small toys) in my bag! i love petting their roots and twirling their hair around my fingers!

Offline babypowder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Thanks to Ponyland Press for my adoptable
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 03:54:13 AM »
When I was little, I also liked to line them up by family so I knew nobody was lost. I had a really big fear of losing my ponies, as one time I left Sweetie Belle at a campsite. (It was fun to take them camping, but very dangerous)  ;)
Cutie Marks for Cutie Marks!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
This thread is great. I remember making paper wings and paper Clydesdale hooves and taping them to my ponies. I left some on so long they made residue marks, though :/  I can't remember if I took my ponies into the water, but I think I played with my sea ponies a little -- I have a vague memory. That makes a lot of sense to me. I guess they were technically designed for that, after all, so I can't blame any kids for playing with them in water.

I remember I took them everywhere, but the most stupid/crazy thing I did was to try that they ride the cat... They never did it really well, ponies are poor riders.
:lol: I love this. How did the cat feel about it? Also, your room sounds a lot like mine growing up. My sister and I would rotate what toy was currently out (Littlest Pet Shops, Grand Champions, Barbie, MLP), but whatever toy was out totally took over the room with their respective houses and buildings in a little settlement.

This topic is fabulous!  I tried carrying a pony by its tail today but it just felt so cruel!

Definitely wouldn't try it on Posey as her tail is now not fastened in, but in general it doesn't do any damage to the pony unless you are planning to swing them around madly. In fact I did this sometimes as a kid and most all of my ponies never got loose tails...it is definitely the easiest way to transport ponies en masse from a to b xd.
Yes, I did this and still do at times XD

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
I had gotten these translucent colored beads for my birthday one year, and I used them to make necklaces for Starhopper and one or two other ponies. I think my parents may have had expectations for their son to utilize them for something other than pony jewelry though.  :biggrin:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
When I was little, I also liked to line them up by family so I knew nobody was lost. I had a really big fear of losing my ponies, as one time I left Sweetie Belle at a campsite. (It was fun to take them camping, but very dangerous)  ;)

I never lost any of my ponies, but that wasn't for want of trying among either my peers or my own carelessness...

I remember two incidents in particular. One was Snowflake. This one is a bit suspicious to me as I remember at the time being mystified about how it happened (innocent five year old) but one day I couldn't find Snowflake. That same day my then friend's mother stopped my mother at the gate to ask if this pink pony was mine, because it wasn't one of hers and it had my name on the hooves. Somehow Snowflake got to my friend's house on her own. In hindsight, I think that friend may have taken a fancy to her - we didn't stay friends long. She tried to stop me being friends with anyone else, I told her to go away and she spent the rest of primary school trying to spite me...she also used to make up which ponies she had and so I think she 'borrowed' Snowflake when I wasn't paying attention. Still, Snowflake did come home safely that time.

The other one was me being an idiot. I was not allowed to take ponies into school for a week because I'd been naughty so I snuck sparkle Sky Rocket into my bag and hid her way way down inside so Mum didn't know. Mum had no idea I'd snuck her to school...UNTIL I left her in the classroom and one of the teachers came out, with said pony, and gave her to Mum saying I'd forgotten it. Ouch...I was in a lot of trouble for that one ;)

I don't think I worried about ponies getting lost so much as broken. I had a couple of bad incidents at school with ponies. Two of my childhood Mountain Boys have broken hooves and it happened at school somehow but wer don't know how. I think they were in my bag and got trodden on by accident. The other was Wild Flower's earring. She was fine when I put her in my bag but when I came to get her out at lunchtime her earring was broken off and only the stud remained. I was really upset about this, not because she was broken so much as her earring was not in the bag with her. I felt like someone did it on purpose and it made me really upset. My sister and I both had SHS as kids and Naynie was much rougher on her ponies than I was, being younger, but her childhood pony still has its earring. I know my Wild Flower would still have hers today if not for that mysterious incident :/ As it was, because the earring was gone, it wasn't even possible for Dad to fix it in the way he did with the Mountain Boy hooves.

Despite that (and the boys throwing them on the roof) though I still took them to school, made them swim in puddles, and trotted them around the classroom on wet breaktimes.

One other school pony memory I have is a bit weird and creepy. My friends and I when we were eight or nine were all convinced the school was haunted because one of our classmates had told us he'd seen a ghost at the church nearby. So then we came up with all these stories about ghosts and stuff. In the field next to the school was a weird shaped tree that looked to us like a man holding a stick or a wand, so we decided it was the head ghost of a family of ghosts and the tree was haunted too. How does this connect to ponies? Well, one of my friends had Moonstone, who had beautiful red eyes. We decided that her having red eyes meant she was haunted too and was probably in on the whole ghost ordeal...

@Chrissytree - my sister and I used to set all the baby ponies up in lines and run adoption drives for them with the adults. Cherries Jubilee and Snowflake were always boy ponies to complement the three adult boys I had and the rest were single mothers. Baby Lucky and Tropical Breeze were siblings. I remember that.

I also remember that the baby ponies had a club called the 'Bluebirds' which I had to make them all blue neckscarves for. I think the ringleader was Baby Sunbright.

And finally...a lesson for life. Don't ever test a Dance & Prance pony's tail when she's in close proximity to a Brush and Grow Pony. JUst saying. It doesn't end well ...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:13:43 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »
:snicker: At the BnG and DnP
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »
:lol: I love this. How did the cat feel about it? Also, your room sounds a lot like mine growing up. My sister and I would rotate what toy was currently out (Littlest Pet Shops, Grand Champions, Barbie, MLP), but whatever toy was out totally took over the room with their respective houses and buildings in a little settlement.

The cat doesn't care, because the ponies never stay on her back... but she was suspicious about me and my potential ideas.
I'm happy to hear I was not the only one beeing alone and crazy with worlds buildings :lol:

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 03:17:00 AM »
I can totally relate to throwing ponies up into the air in an attempt to make them fly - so many times they had to be fetched down from roofs at school! XD
There was also a recurring game wherein Cherries Jubilee was an evil hypnotist posing as a talk show host who kept kidnapping the guests. No idea where that concept came from.
And the worst probably, thinking I could dye ribbons a different colour with those chunky Crayola markers... then putting the resulting recoloured ribbon on the ponies. Posey did not look good with a forest green tail.  -_-

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 11:41:04 AM »
At lunch times me and my pony-mad pal would sneak to the corner of the field, where it was sheltered by tress and the soil was dry and sandy. We would get pebbles, broken twigs, leaves, conkers and make jumps, fences etc and stage our own gymkhanas, with the hooves pressed into the soil to make hoof-prints! At that time I only had Cotton Candy and she had sitting Bubbles and an Applejack.

We would also sit quietly and plait our ponies' tails. Great experience as I now use similar techniques for my daughter!  :lol:

My Mum made soft furnishings as a hobby and used to give me the off-cut bits of fabric. I had tiny bits of velvet and Laura Ashley cotton prints - these came in handy for capes, saddle blankets and hats. My grandmother set up a sewing box for me one Christmas with bundles of lace and ribbon - so these were perfect for my pony fashions!

I had a couple of old Pippa dolls (like US Dawn) that, at 6 inches tall, were the perfect sized riders for my growing herd. I played princesses with them and their ponies took them out on quests to evade some wicked queen. I had the Dream Castle set up in our attic so I could be left in peace to let my imagination fly!  :relaxed: :happy:

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
I used my old Moonstone, as a spoon once (her horn). I also used my ken doll as a spoon.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »

We would also sit quietly and plait our ponies' tails. Great experience as I now use similar techniques for my daughter!  :lol:

This was probably proof of Hasbro's brainwashing xD it constantly amuses me how many early UK pony cards have the "how to braid your pony's hair!" instructions on them, from 84 right through to 88. No wonder so many curly haired ponies end up with braided hair second hand ><.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 02:52:41 PM »
I loved taking Windy in the bath and swishing her hair around so I could enjoy the rainbow colors.

I used to go out under the street lamp in the evening and let the light catch off of Sweet Pop's eyes.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:58:42 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »
I loved taking Windy in the bath and swishing her hair around so I could enjoy the rainbow colors.

Oh, you reminded me of my earliest pony memory! I was three years old, and for some reason I gave Windy a shower/bath in a maroon easter egg box. Just put her in and tipped water right over her. I have NO idea why.

I also believed Shady's hair glowed in the dark, so never combed it or washed it. For that reason she still has her curls, though most of my early childhood ponies lost theirs.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal