collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which Ponies Would You Upgrade?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Which Ponies Would You Upgrade?
« on: June 14, 2017, 08:05:03 AM »
I have a few on my list but I always get blindsided by other ponies on my want list. Whoever finds the time? Is a pony with Mold,Age spots,Regrind. What is the deal breaker for you?

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Which Ponies Would You Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
None. I don't do "upgrades", if I buy a pony then that's it :) I buy 'em in the condition I like, if they're not available in that condition then I wait to buy. Only exceptions I can think of is if I somehow end up with two of the same pony, I do usually compare them to see which is in better condition, but even then if I've had the first one longer then I'm more likely to keep that - I'm a sentimental sort, haha.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SkyCakes

• View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »
None. I don't do "upgrades", if I buy a pony then that's it :) I buy 'em in the condition I like, if they're not available in that condition then I wait to buy. Only exceptions I can think of is if I somehow end up with two of the same pony, I do usually compare them to see which is in better condition, but even then if I've had the first one longer then I'm more likely to keep that - I'm a sentimental sort, haha.

Interesting reply, I usually keep the pony that has not as many problems on their body. I wish I could be more sentimental. Also I look it from a community standpoint. If I can help someone get a nice pony that they may like better than I do Im all for letting the pony go. Or I think I just like to gather the most perfect pony for my herd. Though they do have their flaws. I still have a Bangles with an age spot by her neck. Sometimes the newest one doesn't come along.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »

Interesting reply, I usually keep the pony that has not as many problems on their body. I wish I could be more sentimental. Also I look it from a community standpoint. If I can help someone get a nice pony that they may like better than I do Im all for letting the pony go. Or I think I just like to gather the most perfect pony for my herd. Though they do have their flaws. I still have a Bangles with an age spot by her neck. Sometimes the newest one doesn't come along.

well, like I say, I buy them in the condition I prefer anyway, so in the like.. two situations where I've gotten an extra there hasn't been much difference between them anyway, or the extra has been the worse one, so tbh sentimentality doesn't really play much of a part in it anyway, lol.

Offline SkyCakes

• View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
well, like I say, I buy them in the condition I prefer anyway, so in the like.. two situations where I've gotten an extra there hasn't been much difference between them anyway, or the extra has been the worse one, so tbh sentimentality doesn't really play much of a part in it anyway, lol.

Sounds like it makes more sense. The best condition is ideal for me.

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
Honestly, I prefer ponies that aren't in perfect condition. Then I can comb and play with them a little bit without feeling bad ^.^
Not to mention if I'm selling the other pony, I'd like to sell the one that nets the most cash.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »
I upgrade but I do not replace. In short, I keep the first of any pony I ever get, and then if they are not in very good shape, I will try and get a display version as well. But the original doesn't get booted out.

I have a very battered Truly which I actually have entirely because of who she came from and she gets to be on display because her story is a bit sad (she came from a pony collector whose parents divorced and whose father sold all her ponies after kicking her and her mother out of the house. She wasn't allowed to play with any of her ponies, except Truly, who was obviously well loved. So now Truly stays with us, because she can't stay with her original pony 'Mummy')

I think many battered ponies have stories behind them, and so I don't feel I can part with them. I think sometimes people are way too quick to discard battered ponies and worse, even rip them up or use them for customs when they are not really as terrible as all that. So some of them have a sanctuary here by dint of being our collection "originals".

I am still looking for a really minty Taffy and Twilight SS. I would love the MOC option if it was affordable, but I am satisfied with a good loose one. Even if that happened, though, the original beat up pair came from a precious trade partner who has sadly long since left this earth. So they stay regardless. And I just hope to offer a home to another pony instead of "upgrading".

Of course, this is not great for space...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SkyCakes

• View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
I upgrade but I do not replace. In short, I keep the first of any pony I ever get, and then if they are not in very good shape, I will try and get a display version as well. But the original doesn't get booted out.

I have a very battered Truly which I actually have entirely because of who she came from and she gets to be on display because her story is a bit sad (she came from a pony collector whose parents divorced and whose father sold all her ponies after kicking her and her mother out of the house. She wasn't allowed to play with any of her ponies, except Truly, who was obviously well loved. So now Truly stays with us, because she can't stay with her original pony 'Mummy')

I think many battered ponies have stories behind them, and so I don't feel I can part with them. I think sometimes people are way too quick to discard battered ponies and worse, even rip them up or use them for customs when they are not really as terrible as all that. So some of them have a sanctuary here by dint of being our collection "originals".

I am still looking for a really minty Taffy and Twilight SS. I would love the MOC option if it was affordable, but I am satisfied with a good loose one. Even if that happened, though, the original beat up pair came from a precious trade partner who has sadly long since left this earth. So they stay regardless. And I just hope to offer a home to another pony instead of "upgrading".

Of course, this is not great for space...

I think I remember your story about Truly. That is indeed very sad. Stuff like children having hard times hits too close to home being a Mom.
 Im still looking for a good Taffy. Mine is deflocked. I lucked out on SS Twilight. I did find one locally that was great. My old one also was deflocked.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:45:32 AM by SkyCakes »

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »
If I can't get my hooves on a pony I want, I just transform others into them. Only if they are in the same pose. (With the exception of a few whose poses I can't seem to find).

For example I have  a yellowed Majesty I'm turning her into Ribbon, to go with a Baby Glory who also yellowed into Baby Ribbon.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 05:01:15 PM »
Hmm.

I, too, tend to keep the first ponies I get my hands on.  However, if a nicer pony falls upon my lap, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth - so to speak.  :D

That said, I probably wouldn't mind an upgrade to my Mainsail, my Tornado and some of my twins.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
i have a newborn baby twin with total friz hair.  i know people can rehair but I would (will?) probably upgrade her when/if I decide to resume my newborn twin collecting spree.  :)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 06:04:12 PM »
I think the ponies that are really difficult to get mint - Bright Eyes & Gingerbread are the ones I would always look to upgrade.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
I tend to buy ponies in condition that I'm ok with so no upgrading needed. If I come across doubles from lots or thrifting I tend to keep the nicer condition one. I do get sentimental though so I have a lot of doubles that I can't seem to part with. All my childhood collection stays no matter what and if I acquire someone else's childhood collection (regardless of being a friend or stranger) I like to keep that collection together. We'll see how I feel once I get everyone on display finally. Right now I'm hoarding everything  :biggrin: The only ones I can think to upgrade off the top of my head are my big brothers. I got them from a preschool that closed down and they are in awful shape and I'm not feeling attached to them. 

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 11:16:40 PM »

I believed, when I started collecting again, that I would be able to keep just one of each pony. And even tried to buy duplicates from the same seller for resale to help defray the shipping costs, which are high to SA: often far more than the cost of the pony. Needless to say those ponies are all inexplicably still with me. The only ones who are not are those whom I have given to my very dear friend who also collects ponies. Oh dear.

I hear you on the space issue Taffeta, but I suppose we will just have to be inventive?

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 12:16:47 AM »

I do this, too, unless I for some reason feel I can sell the old pony. that rarely happens tho... :silly:

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal