collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So how many members here dislike the g4 line?  (Read 9029 times)

Offline Wind_Whistler

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
So how many members here dislike the g4 line?
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:12:50 AM »
Is anyone with me? I would much rather spend my money on g1 and g3...at least g3 still look like g1 ponies.  I just can't understand how this g4 mass hysteria came about?  Its like this silly gimmicky tweeny lame revamp of the pony golden age.  If they don't even really resemble my little pony, then whats the point in continuing the line? Yes obviously for hasbro its insanely successful but I just don't see why!  SOooo pony people, enlighten me, give me something other than the show is great, or they look 'cute'.

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: So how many members here dislike the g4 line?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »
I didn't like them at first, but they grew on me when I started watching FiM on Netflix.  I still prefer to spend money on G1s and G3s though.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:40:26 AM »
I love the show, but the toys really don't do anything for me due to:

- lack of creativity.  Regular brushables STILL only have two poses, the "standing there" pose and the "standing there with one leg bent" pose.  Seriously??

- lack of ponies who aren't Core Six.  OMG, enough with the Pinkie Pies!

- lack of nostrils.   I'm sorry, what are these two tiny indents on the weirdly rounded muzzle?  I was under the impression that these were meant to be horse toys?  Horses have big, obvious nostrils.  When you put lizard-dents on the nose, the toy no longer looks like a pony.

Hasbro should be giving up thanks to Lauren Faust every day, bowing down and throwing money at her feet, because it is her creative power that created a market for the toys, not the merits of the toys themselves.  Pretty much the opposite of G1, where the toys were popular before a show even existed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:42:04 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:41:54 AM »
hmm, well, i think the show underlines thier personalities and is a big reason, the cuteness too.

i see the generations like "doctor who". each gen is different and has its own pros and cons. g2 for example doesn´t look like g1 too.
the different gens are more like a revolution, a new chapter. its not a reform of the old ones but they have thier own step. ^^

much has changed since the first MLP-release. the thinking of people, globalisation of communication and trade and the people themselves. so i think its legitimate that the different gens look partially different, but still are from the same toyline.

~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline McKinley

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:42:59 AM »
Eh. I had a few, but I recently sold them all. I still have one blind bag pony because it's sparkly and cute, but I don't know....I just couldn't really get into this generation much.  :shrug:

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 12:55:01 AM »
This is actually the gen that got me into MLP as a whole. I love the design but the toys are definitely lacking and are by far the least impressive in terms of quality. They're teeny tiny (unless you splurge for a Fashion Style or deluxe talking pony), lack unique poses, have tons of quality control issues, and recently Hasbro has been dipping back into "core ponies"--the mane six + the three (now four) princesses.

The cartoon is wonderful and helps bring some personality to the line, but if you don't watch it then G4s remain even more dull.

I do really like them though. The design is overall very pleasing to me and although the small size is aggravating, they are easy to display.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline paradise-estate

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • I Heart G1 Ponehs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:18:46 AM »
I'm actually not a fan of G4 either. Although their prices and availability help them be a good starting point for collecting!
I know a lot of folks love the series, which I've never seen (doesn't seem to be on British tv x_x) but like someone mentioned earlier, there's only a few core ponies you can collect properly.
G1s however, with surely nearing the 700+ Mark in collectable figures range which are all different characters, are a whole new ball game! I grew up with G1 ponies and they were my favourite toy. I had 35 when I was a kid, now that's near 300!  They are so nice to collect and look at! They still have that cuteness but have a quality of toy making, not seen anymore.
Plus, those girls are nearing the 20 years old Mark, and more! That's an achievement.

** COLLECTING G1 PONIES FOR MY HERD :D THE MORE THE MERRIER!**
My WANT LIST*~* My gallery of adoptables I've drawn!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »
I like the blind bags and Zecora. That's it. The regular ponies look so ugly. Giant foreheads, upturned noses, weird eyes (in your choice of vapid, smug or always on the verge of tears) - they're hideous. I think Zecora works for me because she's supposed to be unusual looking.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »
I don't know. I just like them. It's difficult to feel like I have to explain why I like what I do. I like small toys. They take up less space and yes, they're cute. Why isn't that a legitimate response? People collect G1's because they're cute/pretty/fun/etc. So why is liking G4 because I think they're adorable any different? I collect G1 too, but almost primarily babies because I like their small size and the adults sometimes feel too big for me. Same for the G3's, the babies are where my hearts at but I will make exceptions for some holiday ponies. Just so happens that G4's happen to be about the same size as previous gens babies.

And I don't really care that they don't look like "real horses". For me, My Little Pony has never been about reality in the first place. It's about talking ponies with bodies and hair all different colors of the rainbow, some with crystal eyes, some with unicorn horns, some with wings, where magic is real. That's what Ponies is for me. They bring me back to my childhood where all these things took flight. So if G4's are taking a more stylized approach, then that's fine with me. Of the two dozen brushable G4 ponies I've bought, only one of them ever had a noticeable flaw, and that's pretty good in my book. And I just bought another two-pack tonight. I don't know why I have to defend liking ponies on a PONY forum, and it's especially ironic this thread was created on March 1st, the supposed start of All Generation Appreciation Month.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:34:49 AM by InkyMilk »

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:51:24 AM »
But the show is great and they look cute  ;) I think you answered your own question there.

Anyways, the mass hysteria is due to the show, and the influx of show fans has brought a lot of new collectors who collect the G4 line and other gens.

If I could pick out one thing about the G4s that stands out to me, it is their eyes. I like how the toys have so many eye types and colours. Even though there is a lack of poses, I really think that the different eyes make every pony look unique.

Also to the "doesn't resemble my little pony" comment: Of course they resemble my little ponies. In the end, MLP toys are just pastel-coloured, fantasy horse-looking creatures with brushable hair. Even people who have never seen G4s before ask me "are those your my little ponies?" when people see my G4 collection.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:12:45 AM by BrightIdea »

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:15 AM »
If I could pick out one thing about the G4s that stands out to me, it is their eyes. I like how the toys have so many eye types and colours. Even though there is a lack of poses, I really think that the different eyes make every pony look unique.

I agree!! The eyes and big ears make it for me. I know many don't like how "googly-eyed" they are, but that's what makes them adorable imo! That and the varied colours and shapes, like you said.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 02:00:32 AM »
me!
this thread needs a poll ha! :)
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 02:02:27 AM »
not everything has to look like G1...
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 02:06:08 AM »
I didn't care too much for them til I watched the show, now I really like them :) The show got me hooked :biggrin: And maybe for me it's just because they're MLP brand... :) I do wish they were a bit bigger though. Sometimes styling their hair is hard because they're tiny. I do wish there were more poses and variety, but I still like 'em! :biggrin:
My Wish List

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 03:00:08 AM »
they don't even really resemble my little pony

They don't resemble the original MLP but neither did G2, G3 or G3.5 ;) MLP has never really stopped. Not for any great length of time anyways. G4 is just the next evolution of the line. I like G4 and I do collect them and that's coming from a G1 girl who grew up with the original (and best IMO ;) ) xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal