collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possibly unanswerable question about Argies  (Read 1239 times)

Offline mintymintyminty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
Possibly unanswerable question about Argies
« on: July 21, 2023, 01:13:24 PM »
Do we know what sets/waves Argentina ponies were released in? Ex. US rainbow ponies were released in two sets of six; there are 15 rainbow ponies in Argentina, so I would assume they weren't all released at once. With most nirvana ponies, it's easy to assume which ponies were released together because they are the same/similar sets as US ponies, but Argies seem more random (like Lofty being a collector pony and Skyflier being a rainbow pony).

Brazil ponies are similarly a bit random, but there are catalog images of every set released, so it's pretty easy to determine which ponies were released at the same time. I've never seen any such pictures for Argentina ponies, and collectors' sites all seem to group Argie ponies in fairly large groups rather than by release, so that's why I'm wondering if my question isn't answerable lol. If there are any catalog images of Argnetina ponies though I'd love to see them!

I hope this question isn't too confusing! I'm mostly just wondering about Argie collector's pose ponies, unicorns/pegasi, and rainbow ponies, as those are the largest groups of Argies that presumably spanned at least 2-3 waves/sets each (if they were similar-sized waves to US releases). I'd assume that the first six collector ponies were released before the others, but beyond that I'm unsure lol
Minty Minty Minty

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Possibly unanswerable question about Argies
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 04:54:27 PM »
Please take a look at the Nirvana Gallery :) I have been able to group many of the ponies from various countries roughly into their release sets based on back cards, toy fair catalogues, leaflets and collectors information. I will say that it is NOT by any means 100% accurate and some ponies I have grouped by "theme" or "pose". The release patterns for each country is unique and it makes no sense to try and fit them into the US release pattern.

https://pinkkittywinks.wixsite.com/mlparenagallery

Many of the Argie ponies (along with some other countries) have generic, Hasbro back card art that in some cases bares not relation to the pony on the card. In the case of the Argies, certain sets will have a sticker slapped on the front of the card saying "Helados" for the Sundae Best equivalent ponies or "Fiesta" for the Twice as Fancy equivalents. Others will have a sticker in the top left corner of the card, stating the name of the pony in Spanish. From the back cards I have seen most of the names are in Spanish, with the exception of a few names which remain in English.

Yes, I believe that the first set of ponies would have been the collectors pose ponies (Cotton Candy etc). I have seen those MOC and I have seen the toy fair catalogue :)

Once you get into the rainbow ponies, it does get more complicated and very confusing, since there are sometimes two or even three variations of a pony. Then add on the ponies showing up on a whole mixture of cards (horizontal, vertical), with stickers that make no sense (Unicorn buttons on a card that says PEGASUS!), it is all a bit of  headache. I am sure that there was a plan or method that made sense at the time of release, but it may have been lost in the mists of time.

There has been a lot of new information coming out about the Argie ponies in various Facebook groups with people who worked in the factories selling off moulds and such. I can't remember of the top of my head if there was anything to do with the sets or how the ponies were released.

I wonder if our resident Argie expert, Relcelestia , can help us out? or if anyone else can :)

I might go back and look at the FB posts again and see if there was anything.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal