collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what is it about MLP and greedy people?.. just a thought to my own question..  (Read 2723 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
It's like people go out of thair way to be greedy over ponies whether they know it's a knock off or the real deal. People at yard sales wanteing $30 for a ratty nasty common sundance. Or just that people want them even if they don't collect them. I think there are less greedy collectors then non-collectors..but that goes down to each person like anyone to each thar own.everyone has flaws like everyone elce, but why do I so commonly see this greed from out side the collectable world? I know why people want them, collectable, money, bright and colorful, nastalga..ect. MLP is a world wide brand that is one of the worlds largest well known toys. Based this fatcor people want it, people like it even tho it's not what they are intrested in.                                                                                         What are your thoughts?
:accomplished:

Offline Tinks

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Yup, I had a greedy person at a carboot sale not long back now. I was wearing my pony tee so it was very obvious that when I went to the table with ponies this woman was going “ding ding ding £££££££!!!!" They were scruffy, sticky and absolutly gross but I enjoy fixing them up so that does not bother me. What bothers me is that when I asked her how much she wanted for the ponies (I'm thinking a couple of quid each at most) she said £20 EACH! My jaw dropped in shock!  Yeah fine if they are in good nick and have all their hair and hey, actually worth that but come on it was like majesty, peachy, cotton candy and from what I remember either parasol or sunlight and a Sundance TAF. As lovely as those girls are I would never fork out that much for them.
So I said I think il pass on them this time. The woman then muttered under her breath that they are vintage collectable and she knows what they are worth! And then carried on chunttering about me been so picky! That's ok coz later on at the same place I came across some more g1s and bought them for £2 each! Butterscotch and sprinkles lol and I did not even have to barter the woman down and they where in much better condition, not fabulous just needed a little clean but at least they had tails!
I had a similar story last month at a carboot sale where another grumpy woman was trying to sell ponies for £40 each, yup you read that right. She then followed with but I'm not gonna sell them today, I know il get much more on EBay.

I personally don't know the values of ponies at all, I just know that if I like it, I get it if I think I can afford it! Let's face it, they are only as valuable as what the collector is willing to pay in the first place. I may be wrong but to me it makes sense  :huh:
802 and counting........

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Honestly, many people are going through a 'I searched it on eBay, and saw one sell for a high price and therefore mine must be worth that amount' stage. Or the 'I use eBay, so I'm an expert on this subject' stage. It's happening a lot more now, where people seem to think eBay makes you an expert on the subject.

There's a huge difference between eBay and your yard/carboot sale - There are millions of people from all over the world looking at your item for sale online. There are tens or hundreds from your local neighbourhood looking at your sale here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Yeah it drives me nuts.  Just because they're vintage it doesn't mean they're worth $100's of dollars.  Non-collectors just think they're worth tons just because they've been out of stores for a long time.  There's this store called The Toy Vault at my mall.  I love going there because they have action figures and older games and stuff.  Sometimes they get ponies too and they have some G1's too but none I want and they're charging $30 for one of them and it's lose and has some playwhere.  I think it's Princess Tiffany so maybe she's worth more not sure.  But, they used to get MIB G3's and charge tons.  I know here if you buy a MIB pony it would cost more but I don't know how they set values on ponies, because I feel like they are charging too much.

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
I can't speak for collecting the vintage ones as nothing around here carries them, but I notice this attitude with scalpers sometimes, specifically when there is an exclusive. (And collecting :muffin: Pony, there's a lot of them.) You won't believe how fast things sell out. For example, when Enterplay has their sales, I'm very watchful but almost never make it in time because things sell out in literal seconds. When they had the :muffin: Pony dogtag up a few months ago, it sold out in about 30 seconds, IIRC (exact number is on my blog) and not a few days later, people were asking $100s for them. I thought it was ridiculous. Why steal a chance from someone else who really wanted one? I was in tears after that, then they told us it would be a wide release. I finally have one now, but it was a horrible experience.  :huh:
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
People are more than entitled to ask what they want for something that own - they can set any price they like. I don't think its greedy, I think its misinformed. There is a massive assumption by a lot of people outside the collecting world that something as old as a 30 year old pony is worth something - but they are as likely to try and sell you a Peachy for $20 as they are a Rapunzel.

You dont have to buy things if you dont want and after all the seller is just going to be trying to sell those ponies week after week without any bites. So no one is really doing anything other than over charging...some thing some national retailers like to do as much as an average Mr Smith trying to sell some of his old junk.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

DemureGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Thankfully I haven't encountered this problem in real life (yet!) since I have only ever managed to buy two ponies for £2. On ebay though I do have a giggle when there is a common pony for sale for £30+.

The other day I saw a lot with a Thunercloud in it from a seller who knew nothing about ponies going for £50. It had the option to make an offer and since it was a little out of my price range I made a fair offer.  Ten mins later she turned me down, jacked up the price by £20 and told me because of the interest she was increasing the price... of a buy it now! I was a little bit disappointed as Thunder is one of two I need to complete my mountain boy collection. I know its within her right to do it but if the seller wasn't sure of the price she should have just put it as an auction!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Man I have a ton of stories for this thread. Just one recent example: I asked a vendor selling Breyers at a flea market if she had any My Little Pony items (first mistake- she knew I was interested). She said yes, but it was still packed away and it would be a while until she could find it. I gave her time to look and looked around the other booths (second mistake- I left her alone). When I returned later she had a porcelain Cherries Jubilee that was $20.00, marked up from $10.00 (a "2" was clearly written hastily over the "1"). Thanks.

In general I agree with hathorcat that vendors have the right to charge whatever they think they can get; ultimately I have the choice to walk away, but this seemed personal and was underhanded.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
I buy and resell vintage toys and it just drives me nuts when I go to garage sales and people ask ridiculous prices for stuff just because its vintage. Since my stuff hasn't been moving online I'm having a few garage sales myself this summer and I don't plan on having anything over 5 dollars for most of the stuff. Almost wish I had splurged for a vender booth at fair... but I don't have much for sale that is ponies. The point of a garage sale to me is that id didn't sell elsewhere and its the step before donating it!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
The problem with ebay (and I had to explain this to my husband) is that you can look up an item and see what the average asking price is. However, that does not mean the item is selling. It could be the fifth relisting.

I would probably not pay more than $25 for a G3, since a lot of them you can still buy on Amazon for that price.

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
Lol.. Oh I know, I have a lad I work with hat went tic toc crazy on me for getting a rarity she wanted, I bought it for a friend... Talk about feeling like a jerk, but is figured my buddy wanted her and didn't have the money so I got it for him... It's messed up... People are messed up

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
I do think the people trying to sell their grubby common G1s for $20-$40 and more-  are sadly misinformed or maybe they are too attached to them to sell them or something.  It does irritate me though.   In my book a baity pony with stickiness and pen marks and/or hair cuts should never be more than $2 tops.

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
maybe they are too attached to them to sell them or something..

This is actually quite common. If someone has sentimental attachment to an item, they will charge more.

Offline Hope1989

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hope's My Little Pony Collection
I saw that too :/ Just yesterday I saw add "I'll trade 7 BB ponies (2 of w9 and 5 of w8) for camera" I'd like to say that BB in Poland costs about 3-4$ (which makes 21-28$ for 7 BB ponies) and a camera, which this lady wanted, cost 66-73$ + shipping of course :/ And the lady was writing that it's honest offer because "searching BBs and ponies would take much more time and money" >_____________<
WTB! Sdcc 2013 Exclusives My Little Pony DJ Pon-3
Have 2 Crystal Empire Promo Packs NIP for sale! Interested in? Write me ^^
My collection: old thread 1 , old thread 2 NEW ONE:happy:
FB page
Wishlist

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
One of my favorite places I go to sells ponies. I saw alot in a glass case recently the prices were very high. I couldn't very well buy any of them because of the prices. Luckily they weren't the only person selling ponies. Maybe sentimental value could be an angle but I doubt it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal