collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can you bake McDonald's ponies?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Can you bake McDonald's ponies?
« on: October 27, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
Hello! I'm a beginner customizer and I have a question. My only completed custom is an alternate rehair (whom I may post about later), but I've already got a bunch of ambitious ideas buzzing around in my head like angry bees, so I guess I should entertain some of them!

My favorite art style is G3.5's, but the toys don't do it enough justice (they look fine, just not fully accurate). My attention has fallen onto the McDonald's ponies due to their abundance and pose variety. I chopped the molded tail off of a Cheerilee who was quite faded and had a haircut. I then realized this was easier said than done... Sanding helped, but there was some scarring.

My plan was to smooth a thin layer of clay over her crotch and back legs to remove the scars and fill her hollowed-out feet with it. I tried a baking soda/cornstarch dough that you can make in the microwave, but it's too stiff and brittle and didn't stick very well. The pieces in her feet just fell out, and the leg pieces flaked off while drying. Sculpey might have the texture and adhesion I need, but would she survive the oven?

Has anybody baked a G3 or G3.5 McDonald's pony? They're basically the same. If you don't think she'll make it, I could boil the clay. I opened up a Butterscotch from the 2005 set and she was full of mold, so I drowned her in a microwave-safe dish and nuked the pony soup for like... ten minutes? I don't remember, but she survived unharmed! How would I go about the boiling process if it's what I'll have to do?

If anyone's curious, she will be a full body repaint. I don't think it would be easy to match the faint glittery/pearly sheen these guys have, anyway. I'm also planning on giving her a full head of hair by gluing on brushed yarn wefts, and trying to mimic those crazy tails you see in G3.5 artwork somehow. Wish me luck!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Can you bake McDonald's ponies?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 03:59:13 PM »
I have definitely heard of people baking G3! I would also suggest Apoxie Sculpt if you grow worried about how it may affect the pony!
Your project sounds really cool, it's fun to hear about someone else really caring about G3.5! I'm excited to see how she turns out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »
I have baked McDonald's ponies in the past.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 05:51:08 PM »
I would recommend against boiling Sculpey. The water simply doesn't get hot enough to properly cure it and it will crumble eventually.

She should be fine in the oven though. Just remember to follow the instructions on the package.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »
Thanks everybody! Oven it is!

It won't be the strangest thing to go in this oven, either. My father has baked the motherboard from my mom's old laptop as a last-ditch effort to revive it. It smelled horrible, but it worked!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
I used Air-Dry Sculpey to de-BBE a Baby Frosting and it worked out great. It was easy to work with, and dried enough to paint over fairly quickly. No oven needed.

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 11:20:07 PM »
I used Air-Dry Sculpey to de-BBE a Baby Frosting and it worked out great. It was easy to work with, and dried enough to paint over fairly quickly. No oven needed.

I personally don't like working with air dry clay.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 02:41:08 AM »
I wouldent personally try some apoxie sculpt instead I cures in about 8 hours and its harder than airdry clay and you dont need to bake it :)

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 02:08:29 AM »
I wouldent personally try some apoxie sculpt instead I cures in about 8 hours and its harder than airdry clay and you dont need to bake it :)

I have no access to apoxie sculpt so sculpey what I use

I have baked several McDonald's ponies they do fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal