collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First time going to a convention...(pictures, pg. 2)  (Read 1740 times)

clonecommander

• Trade Count: (0)
First time going to a convention...(pictures, pg. 2)
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
Okay, so I am going to my first convention. I am really excited, since this is my first time doing anything like this. But, I also plan on doing a little shopping, mainly for Star Wars figures that are not part of my 100+ collection. I have a cosplay, though I'm not going to the convention on the day of the cosplay contest. If I get it done before I go, I'll totally post pics, though that will happen either way, so there will be pics from the convention....eventually.

Does anyone have any advice for a first-time convention goer?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:46:16 PM by clonecommander »

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
Re: First time going to a convention...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 11:56:19 AM »
All I have to say is its going to be crowded and HOT!
I've been to quite a few conventions myself and I've never dressed up only because of how much body heat everyone puts off. So one day of cosplay is recommended imo.
Also if you see something get it asap, cause I've missed out on a lot by waiting for the next day for things to get cheaper haha. But its always fun! Which convention are you going too?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »
*grins* I'm going to my first one soon as well, Wizard Word Con in Sacramento!  Well, first non pony one, anyway?  I'm trying to plan out as early as possible what panels I want to go to, and I'm putting them in my phone calendar to make sure I keep track of them.  Pony Fairs have also taught me the importance of setting a *budget* and sticking to it, haha!

Which con is it?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:02:25 PM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
Make sure you eat regularly, drink regularly and know where the loo is (you don't want to get caught short)

It will be crowed, you will get bumped occasionally too, but don't worry about it.

Don't be afraid to step outside to get some air and space if you feel hot or overwhelmed :) taking breaks are important.

Most importantly HAVE FUN!!!

Love pkw xxx

PS make sure you have a hand sanitiser, you don't want to get conflu.
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 02:08:13 PM »
I love conventions!  Usually I go to 3 or so a year, though I don't always do a full weekend.  I mostly go to anime cons, but I also go to more general comic con type events, too, and I love all of them.  Here are my tips!

1. Don't be afraid to ask people for photos if you like their cosplay!  I was pretty shy about it my first couple of cons, but I got more comfortable with it eventually, and I've actually made good friends just by asking to take a photo or a selfie then getting into a conversation.

2.  If outside food is allowed in the convention center, pack some snacks!  Especially if you're cosplaying, it's a good little energy boost to have a snack, and if you bring your own that leaves more money for buying fun stuff in the Dealers Room or Artists Alley.

3.  Check out the schedule ahead of time and write down what you want to do and what time it is.  It's super disappointing when you get sidetracked and miss out on a panel you were looking forward to all day.  On that note, see if the con has released a guide on the Guide Book smartphone app!  A lot of larger cons have it, and even some smaller ones, and it's sooooo handy.  You can set reminders and your phone will alert you before the event starts so you don't miss a thing.  It also often lists things like the con's autograph policy, which is always handy to know (in terms of how long in advance you line up, if they are free or paid, how many items can be signed, if photos with the celebrity are allowed, etc.).

4.  Don't over book yourself, and don't be afraid to change plans and skip a panel or whatever if you feel like it.  My first couple of cons I had a "do everything!!! " attitude, and I stressed myself out trying to keep up with all the events I wanted to go to.  As much fun as panels and autograph signings are, you'll want time to wander around and shop or take photos of cosplayers.

5.  Check if there is a facebook page or forum for the event and see if there are any fan-run photo shoots that you are interested in happening.  They can range from shoots for a specific series, to something more general like "super heroes" or "sports anime."  I've made some friends at photo shoots, and they are a lot of fun, plus a good opportunity to show off your cosplay!

Those are my main tips, and everyone else has had some good pointers, too!  I'm sure that you'll have a great time!  Enjoy the con!

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 05:36:28 PM »
I would definitely say that it's better to wear your costume out to the convention and experience the con before you try any costume contests. Depending on the size of the convention, costume contests are a really big deal and even "beginner" entrants can be really intimidating! When you wear your costume, I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH, learn to respond to your character's name! A lot of beginners seem to forget who they're cosplaying as and don't respond when someone calls their name! Also, when deciding which panels to attend and figuring out your schedule, make sure you factor in lots of time for pictures along the way (if your costume is easily recognizable lots of people will be stopping you to take your picture!).

Another thing I can't stress enough: the most important thing at a convention is making sure you eat HEALTHY food every day at regular times! Even for someone like me who has blood sugar issues, it's extremely easy to A. forget to eat altogether and/or B. Only eat sugary junk! Either way, after four days at a convention you'll WISH you had gotten the con crud because the poor eating will make you sicker than you've ever been! And by healthy food, I do mean whatever real food you are able to get. At conventions pizza can be a good healthy meal compared to most of the other junk available...

Also, don't feel bad if you miss things you wanted to go to/see. It's a given at any convention that there will be way more things you want to do than you are able to do. Sometimes you may have to miss one thing just because you have to stand in line for something else that you're even more interested in.

Last, but not least, money disappears really quickly. O_o If there are a lot of things you collect, know that you're likely to run into a ton of stuff that you absolutely must have for your collection! Especially if you're on a budget -- at my convention a couple of weeks ago I was in "money saving mode" and, of course, I came across tons of stuff that I had never seen at a convention before.

There's probably a lot more that I could advise, but those are the first things that come to mind. :)

Kanchii

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
Have fun! People are friendly, don't be afraid to ask questions or start up a random conversation with someone there- that's what it's for, making friends that are into the same stuff as you! Also the cosplay contest is just the contest part, you can and should wear your cosplay whenever you are there. You won't be alone, most people do not enter the contest, and just want to show off their costumes the rest of the time. :)

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 06:41:14 PM »
Totally agree about the suggestions on eating "real/actual" food and not just snacks.
I know a problem that a lot of newbies would do at (for example) anime conventions, is think they can survive the con weekend eating only pocky, ramune, instant cup ramen, ect. Usually by Saturday afternoon/evening, they regret that decision. xD

It's also good to have a budget in mind, but on that same note: bring how much you think you'll spend...then bring an extra $50-$100, depending on how long you're going to be there. I say that because you never know what you'll spot/want/need at a convention, and you'll wish you brought that extra backup stash of cash. And set aside a certain amount only for food/drinks. Don't blow all of your funds in the Dealer's Room.

Also agreeing with the "if you see what you want at a con, and you have the funds to get it, buy it.". I had a friend that would try to wait until the last day of the con to do shopping (since some con vendors will do sales/deals to get rid of stuff), and she was mad/upset when most of the things she wanted were gone.

The most important rule: HAVE FUN! Your first con experience should be a good one! Dint be afraid to make friends and take plenty of photos!

the cosplay contest is just the contest part, you can and should wear your cosplay whenever you are there. You won't be alone, most people do not enter the contest, and just want to show off their costumes the rest of the time. :)

I actually stopped going to the cosplay contests, because of how many cosplayers dont enter them. Plus, I dont have time/energy to wait hours in line to go see the cosplay contest, when I can just go into the Dealer's room or the nearby park/mall that is next to the con and see tons of cosplayers there. xD
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 07:21:49 PM »
When you wear your costume, I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH, learn to respond to your character's name! A lot of beginners seem to forget who they're cosplaying as and don't respond when someone calls their name! 

Reminds me of one con I was at in January, I went up to a dude dressed like Jesus and thanked him because I found a good parking spot. He had a blank look on his face until someone pointed out that I was thanking Jesus.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 02:40:15 AM »
Take your mother's credit card!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 07:14:33 AM »
i have been to loads of cons here in the UK most well organised, here are my tips
1. always have drinks /food with you as  the cafes are usually really expensive  and crowded
2.know where things are usually there is a table booth at the entrance that will have time tables and the lay out ,defiantly get one of these
3. if you are cos playing take breaks and go outside for some air  i have been to some that also have a room for cosplayers to sit and get changed too,
4. if you are going to get autographs /photo shoots get them before you go ,the ones i go to have virtual line tickets  and a board with  EG george tekei will be doing tickets 1-100   and you have 89 you would come back in half an hour and do some thing else for a bit :)
5.shop around there is usually a lot of dealers if you can get their business cards as if you see some thing and can't afford it there and then you will have the web site /details and can order it on line
6. always have your phone on incase you and your friends/ partner get separated if your phone runs out chose a place and time to meet back up EG by the cafe at 3pm :)
7.get there as early as you can as the lines can be very long! a few years ago i went to one where stan lee was giving his last signing over here and there were still queues that were 3 hours long when we left at  4pm and it was shutting at 5 pm  so there was a lot of disappointed peeps  that day ! we got gold tickets that let us in first and we only get one gold ticket a year as it costs so much  but if your wallet won't stretch to that early bird tickets are good to :)
8.it gets hot fast in the big halls as there are usually a lot of people  i take a hand held fan  on the same con  there were so many people we couldn't even see the dealers tables and i couldn't breath it was so hot and crowded  so keep cool !
9.have a big bag :) dealers just usually have the flimsy plastic bags so take a bag for life or a tote bag  :)
10. HAVE FUN !!!! there will always be another one ! there is now  one every other month here in the uk  and you don't have to do every thing on the time table  so don't get stressed out :) oh and were
comfy shoes !!!! i took my slippers once !
hope you have a good time  xaflame
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:20:36 AM by Aflame »

clonecommander

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 07:53:19 AM »
Thanks everyone! I am going to Eternal Con, it is only live four or five years old but I am so excited. I should probably go onto the other collecting forum that I am on and ask if anyone from the area is going. But again, thanks for the advice! I should probably post a 'sneak peek' of my cosplay, since I only have the helmet completely finished. Procrastination master, that's me! LOL

Reading through all of the advice, I'm going to be thankful that I bring food with me, no matter where I'm going. I am an extremely picky eater, so it is vital that I bring some lunch. I get really, really cranky when I'm hungry.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 09:05:17 AM »
Make sure you bring high energy/protein food like trail mix, and make sure you bring plenty of water.

Comfy shoes are also a must.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
When you wear your costume, I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH, learn to respond to your character's name! A lot of beginners seem to forget who they're cosplaying as and don't respond when someone calls their name! 

Reminds me of one con I was at in January, I went up to a dude dressed like Jesus and thanked him because I found a good parking spot. He had a blank look on his face until someone pointed out that I was thanking Jesus.
OMG, that story is hilarious. I literally LOLed and I'm at work. :D

Reading through all of the advice, I'm going to be thankful that I bring food with me, no matter where I'm going. I am an extremely picky eater, so it is vital that I bring some lunch. I get really, really cranky when I'm hungry.
Yes, definitely bring food along! I actually have a tradition when going to a large con (where I always get a hotel room) -- I always go to the grocery store first and stock up on eeeeeverything I might want to eat at the con. Peanut butter and jelly (I bring a cooler with zip lock bags for ice), bread, orange juice and other drinks, etc. Of course, this only really works if you have a hotel room or if you are able to leave a cooler in your car and periodically go back to it. Bringing your own food is important, though -- the last con I went to, the vending machines had really jacked up prices ($5 for one bottle of soda!) and the only decent meal for sale was a WHOLE pizza (no individual slices -- you had to buy a whole pizza -- I ended up sharing with a complete stranger). People were buying fancy imported Japanese soda in the dealer room because it was cheaper than buying a coke. Thank goodness I brought my own water!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal