collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pop Up Video Retro MLP  (Read 1554 times)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Pop Up Video Retro MLP
« on: November 17, 2019, 09:24:33 PM »
Just wondering if any of you have seen these. They have a few retro "TBT" videos on the Equestria Girls Youtube page, guess it's official? The cartoon was uploaded in the best quality I've seen on Youtube. Jokes are kinda meh, I liked the reference to the Fyre Festival  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xetF8tnKoE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtQb_T1C8wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShm0M-wIFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekZiahcpjY
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Pop Up Video Retro MLP
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 08:21:07 AM »
These are so very "Brony reaction video" that I just have to shake my head and wonder if Hasbro even knows what their audience is anymore.

Kids don't know G1 or Behind The Music, early Mtv.
Most Bronies like when G1 is made fun of but won't buy the products because "fat hippo".
Collectors, retro/nostalgia fans and older parents are the target for this and yet it's steeped in sarcasm and borderline mockery of the entire brand. Odd.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
I remember there was a thread about them a little while back. They weren't very well received here from what I recall (and I agree, I disliked them too).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:24:38 PM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 11:45:24 AM »
Some of them might, especially G1 - it's not impossible (and is a lot easier now) to know older shows, keep in mind a lot of shows from like the 60s or whatever would have made it into our childhoods.

I doubt it's really making fun of G1 (I'll have to watch it properly), it might just be playful mocking, but I'll have to look if they outright say that it's "bad".
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:47:54 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 11:50:41 AM »
I wasn't a fan of them because it was very... "how do you do, fellow kids?".

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »

Some of them might, especially G1 - it's not impossible (and is a lot easier now) to know older shows, keep in mind a lot of shows from like the 60s or whatever would have made it into our childhoods.

Oh please, you know what I mean. G1 are old designs and most kids don't even know that there was a G3 Rainbow Dash. No way a random six year old of today can tell Glory from Rarity unless instructed by their parents. Most kids don't even know G3 anymore, that's why Hasbro included them in the "retro" remakes, but only the names little kids know from G4.

These videos have a tone that seems to be designed for an older audience, despite being on the EqG channel. Especially the gags about drugs and "censoring" one of the pony's privates like it's some Girls Gone Wild moment...
And you can't tell me that a majority of little kids are going to get that these are parodies of Mtv shows their parents were watching.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 01:17:04 PM »

Oh please, you know what I mean. G1 are old designs and most kids don't even know that there was a G3 Rainbow Dash. No way a random six year old of today can tell Glory from Rarity unless instructed by their parents. Most kids don't even know G3 anymore, that's why Hasbro included them in the "retro" remakes, but only the names little kids know from G4.

These videos have a tone that seems to be designed for an older audience, despite being on the EqG channel. Especially the gags about drugs and "censoring" one of the pony's privates like it's some Girls Gone Wild moment...
And you can't tell me that a majority of little kids are going to get that these are parodies of Mtv shows their parents were watching.
No idea if it's a majority or minority - it's just a pet peeve of mine to see comments which are essentially (or appear as) "kids won't get something before their time", I just like to assume they might, or that it's possible (this wasn't what I said or meant, but it might be more possible for them to know the older gens if they were promoted more or they still aired.)  I do think that they would be capable of finding the older generations on their own though.

Some kids could have taken an interest in an old band or/singer (which does happen) and their parents may have shown them a video of the Behind The Music for them?  Sorry, I tend to be quick to protest with these kind of comments - I know there wasn't anything bad intended by it, it's just something that gets to me for at least two reasons.

Agree about the drugs and censoring though.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 01:32:15 PM »

No idea if it's a majority or minority - it's just a pet peeve of mine to see comments which are essentially (or appear as) "kids won't get something before their time", I just like to assume they might, or that it's possible (this wasn't what I said or meant, but it might be more possible for them to know the older gens if they were promoted more or they still aired.)  I do think that they would be capable of finding the older generations on their own though.

Some kids could have taken an interest in an old band or/singer (which does happen) and their parents may have shown them a video of the Behind The Music for them?  Sorry, I tend to be quick to protest with these kind of comments - I know there wasn't anything bad intended by it, it's just something that gets to me for at least two reasons.

Agree about the drugs and censoring though.
I think I agree with you. I grew up with g1 personally, well at least I watched it when I was little (even though I grew up with g3) I didn't remember their names and didn't have any interest in the toys right off the bat, but when I was 10 I fell in love with it again, and got my first g1 for my 11th birthday. This was as g4 started. I was able to become a fan even before the internet was as big as it is now.

My cousin just turned 10 and she adores g1 as well! A lot of my friends and their younger siblings love it too, and actually prefer it to g4. Of course a lot of kids won't know it beyond g4 but its not as uncommon as one would think.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:17:35 PM by caseysealia »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »
There is no argueing with you two.
You think Hasbro do these raunchy VH1/Mtv style things littered with adult humor for kids. Fine with me :lol:

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
There is no argueing with you two.
You think Hasbro do these raunchy VH1/Mtv style things littered with adult humor for kids. Fine with me :lol:
That's not what we think at all?? Don't put words in my mouth please. I didn't like those videos, thought they were dumb and inappropriate. I am however, arguing with the fact that kids don't know what past gens are when it is in fact quite common.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:07:43 PM by caseysealia »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »
"We don't know who to target this to" is written all over this. Considering how safe the rest of their channel is and that they have some weird...baby pony play thingy on the same thing, it's just weird in contrast. At least the song with the pop up words can make some sense because the song itself is still more appropriate, but I think the documentary with Megan was just weird.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 02:44:49 PM »
This is MLP's version of Bayformers. Crude, stupid and suddenly unable to remember or give a poo about its target audience, as well as crapping on its older fans, as long as it can get the fringe frat kids around.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 03:07:09 PM »
Oh my, I didn’t realize it’d be so disliked. :lol: some points were kind of chuckle worthy I guess. Like Megan singing in the desert and it saying would you rather die in the desert or die listening to her singing that song forever or something.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
Disappointed they made a video about Sting, but didn't use the scene where he gets dramatically pricked in his butt.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal