collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Diamond painting thread 2.0  (Read 8448 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Diamond painting thread 2.0
« on: April 30, 2023, 06:50:36 AM »
Hi,
I thought I'd start a new thread for discussing diamond panting since the old one was closed and I've seen a few people mention it in BC's interviews.

I just started my 7th diamond panting the other day. :D It takes me quite a while to do them because I don't get to work on them every day. I also have a small diamond art panting that I bought at Walmart that I've been working on too. 

My current project is my first Diamond Art Club canvas. I've already noticed some differences between it and the ones I usually do from Diamond Dots/Leisure Arts. 

I'm having a little trouble getting used to using the right amount of wax on the diamonds with the shiny stuff on them.  I used too much at first and some of the way came off on the diamonds.  I think I finally figured it out though.

Feel free to share pictures and talk about your current projects. :D

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Diamond painting thread 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 06:59:31 AM »
I'd love to see pics! I've looked at these and they seem interesting, but I don't have the time or space for another hobby right now.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 05:16:24 PM »
Diamond painting is fun! :)

I'm a beginner and started the first one just before Christmas and it's still a work in progress! :haha: :blush: It has Christmas colors and has a cat with a hat and a scarf. Maybe I'll be inspired to continue it again closer to Christmas. :lol:

I also have another one, which I haven't started yet. It is blue in color and also has a cat as a theme.

The only thing I hate about this is that I often manage to spill the little jar that came with these upside down on the floor. (The one from which it is easier to take diamonds than from a plastic bag.)  >_<

It would be great to see pictures of your diamond paintings Ponyfan!  :lovey:
:zzz:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 06:23:34 AM »
I have taken a break, kind of. I had orderded a bunch of paintings of photos of me, my husband and our cats and they all turned out beautiful. But the last one was a weddingpicture of me and John, and John who is a very pale Scandinavian got a skintone resembling someone from northern Africa.. so I emailed the provider, they sent out another one they had lighten up and now John is orange instead  >_<. I've been going the last couple of months and thinking if I should scrap them alltogether or finnished them. If I finnish them, they wont go up on the wall as they're just so wrong. But on the other hand, I get to do something.

Anyway, here are some pictures of some I've done :).

This is a photo of my mother-in-laws cat Mysan aka Katastrofen (cathastrophee). It took me almost a month to do.

This one is dear to me. Last year while grandma was dying, grandpa layed next to her and my aunt snapped a picture of them holding hands and she shared it. So I took it, ordered two of it and made my mom and aunt a surprise.

And a framed weddingpicture of me and John. This one came in the same package as the one who went wrong and I can't get how they could mess up the other one so bad because this one was perfect! A bit of mirroring as it's framed.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 07:27:20 AM »
Wow! Those are really nice, Beldarna. :)  I've heard of some companies being able to make custom diamond paintings from photos, but I don't think there are a lot of companies in the US that do them.  I'm sorry that the company messed up on one of your wedding paintings. The one you posted is stunning. :lovey:

Here's a few pics of mine. 

This was my first one.

Ponyfan

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 01:53:19 PM »
Beldarna, Wow, your diamond paintings are absolutely gorgeous! :whoa: Lovely and beautiful pictures. :heart: I didn't know that you can make these from your own photos! This would be a great gift idea!  :nod:

Ponyfan, they are so cute! :lovey:
:zzz:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 03:16:58 PM »
Thank you Heart of Midnight.  :)

Hobby Lobby is having a sale on diamond painting kits this week in the US.

I thought everyone might enjoy seeing how I store the diamonds while I'm working on a project and after the project's finished.

While I'm working, I store them in plastic bags.

When I'm finished, I store the extra dots like this with the color code taped to the top of the container.  If I already have a container for that color, I just put the dots inside.

Ponyfan

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 03:22:02 AM »
Thank you Ponyfan and Heart of Midnight  ^.^.

There are at least three companies here in Sweden who make custom pieces. You order by them but they're done in China, shipped to the Netherlands where they're repackaged and sent to you. No custom fees involved. It takes up to six weeks from ordering to recieving and most of time they're accurate and gorgeous. They're a bit pricey, but so is collecting ponies sometimes :cool:.

That is a smart way of package the beeds Ponyfan. I have them in small zipblocks bags as well. I decided after a few turns to throw away the ones not needed anymore instead of storing them. I began storing, but saw how the same number could have three different shades of the same colour :blink: and didn't want them mix up.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 06:57:38 PM »
I’d never heard of this but it looks fun. I might try getting a kit this weekend to try.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 06:09:06 AM »
Wow, these are really nice! I love the one of your cat, Beldarna :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 03:34:05 PM »
Here's a pic of the painting I just started.  I know it's not much, but I've only worked on it one time so far.

Ponyfan

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 01:08:05 AM »
WOW Beldarna, those custom ones are stunning! They did a great job making them look photorealistic. I’ve looked into the custom ones before, but the one company I saw that does them in the US was pretty pricey, so I’ve passed for now.

Ponyfan, your look great! I love all the Disney! I like seeing your storage too. I’m not very organized with my diamond painting. I’ll have to get some pics of the ones I’ve completed! I did a couple during the pandemic, then I kind of just stopped for a couple years. Then for my birthday this year my mom got me a MLP one from Amazon and I’m hooked again! :P

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 03:12:50 PM »
I joined a diamond painting group on Facebook.  I thought it would be fun to join a group that would show off their work with others.  Although several people have done that, I've also seen people being very rude to each other over asking questions that people that are new to the hobby probably ask a lot and also a bit of arguing over where the "best" place to get diamond art is.  I don't have a lot of extra money so I usually buy mine when they are on sale.  That being said I'm not the type of person to berate another just because they chose to use a different site to buy from, even if I think that site is a little questionable based on what I've seen so far.

I've only been in the group a few days though.

Also, does anyone here use a light board under your panting while you're working?

Diamond Art Club restocked a painting that I've been wanting to get for months, but I have so many projects already that I haven't even started yet.

Ponyfan

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2023, 04:16:56 PM »
Always trust your instincts. If you think the site feels sketchy, don't use it. Maybe you can find the same paintings somewhere else. Have you tried Etsy? They have great patterns and kits. I don't do Diamond painting but I've run across it looking for cross stitch kits.

I too have too many projects. If you really want, I say get it. Maybe it will inspire you to work on other projects so you can work on that one :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal